Pancho

Hello all, starting the process of creating a social security account for myself, US citizen. The application requires a “US address “. As I have none, any advice as how to proceed?. I have been directed to Manila, so far no returned e mails, no phone contacts. Thanks.

Edited by Pancho
Grammar mistakes

You cannot set up an online SS account without a US address. And, the US address must be one that they can verify through a credit bureau -- so using a friend or relative's address won't work.

Very annoying.

If you have a former US address recent eniugh that it would show in a credit report you could try that. Some oeople have had success with addresses many years old.

As for Manila, ignoring emails and not answering the phone is typical for them. The "service" is abysmal.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/14/2019 at 9:31 AM, ubonjoe said:

What are wanting to do at the SSA office in Manila?

They cannot help with the MySSA registration.

Thanks. I was directed to manila bt US Cosulate BBK. Trying to determine how others have had success with creating,applying,and ultimatly recieveing benifits here in LOS.

On 5/16/2019 at 9:23 AM, Sheryl said:

You cannot set up an online SS account without a US address. And, the US address must be one that they can verify through a credit bureau -- so using a friend or relative's address won't work.

Very annoying.

If you have a former US address recent eniugh that it would show in a credit report you could try that. Some oeople have had success with addresses many years old.

As for Manila, ignoring emails and not answering the phone is typical for them. The "service" is abysmal.

Thanks ill give that a try. Any success stories out there?

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2019 at 9:23 AM, Sheryl said:

Very annoying.

Not sure where this comes from.

I have been here for 12 years with no US address or bank account. A year or so ago, I got on the SS website and created an account. Last June I completed the on line application & began receiving my benefits the first month that I was eligible...October.

Maybe something has changed recently.

thanks, how didyou set up acct?, i have tried w old address and was kicked out. Did you change to Thai address, and use that to set up acct?. If i may, how are you handling deposits?,there are many questions, as you know. for me , here to fore , i have hit the wall trying to get passed the first step. Manila.....( christ on a bicycle) creating account. any info/ links is deeply appreciated. I am los 19 yrs, no U.S. address 10 yrs. i still love the interactions with my neihgbors, the honest smile, the sincere wai,however, it must be noted, things have changed. kind regards.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You don't have to set up a MySSA account in order to apply to start benefits with the SS website.  I've done it and have helped others to do it, too.  It's a good way to jump-start the process with Manila.  Gets all you info on file and then they'll send you an email to set up a time for a phone conference to verify the data and maybe ask a few more questions.

As for Manila not answering emails, just resend the email in a week or so, with the subject heading, "2nd request" and eventually they respond.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, NancyL said:

You don't have to set up a MySSA account in order to apply to start benefits with the SS website.  I've done it and have helped others to do it, too.  It's a good way to jump-start the process with Manila.  Gets all you info on file and then they'll send you an email to set up a time for a phone conference to verify the data and maybe ask a few more questions.

As for Manila not answering emails, just resend the email in a week or so, with the subject heading, "2nd request" and eventually they respond.

yeah, a MySSA account is not required to register or receive SSA pension benefits, just follow the instructions on the SSA letter that they send you advising of pension benefits availability...the one big thing is setting up the monthly transfer of the SSA benefits to a bank in Thailand or to an account in the US that you can access in Thailand...Bangkok bank offers a helpful facility in this regard, check out their website...

Manila is a big PITA that should be avoided if at all possible...

A year or so ago I could not do this and SS rep confirmed to me that not possible to do with overseas address.

Manila says the same thing -- the only online service currently available is applying for benefits.

Are you sure you aren't confusing having applied for benefits online (which you can do) with establishing a MySS online account? (Which you can't).