Weeds

djayz

To cut a long story short, I was away for 3 weeks and today upon my return to Korat I almost heeled over in disbelief when I saw the weeds that have literally sprung up in that time. They completely cover my 2.5 rai plot. I don't use weedkiller or any other chemicals on my parcel of land so I was thinking of having them ploughed in asap before the rainy season begins. The only problem I see is, the guy around here who does this kind of work only has a 3 disc plough on a smallish Kubota (big enough though to do the job). My only concern is that afterwards he uses the blade on the front of the tractor to "level off" (for the want of a better word) the ground. I vaguely remember reading somewhere (TV maybe?) that this method causes the "soil pan" to form a crust and thus prevents water from seaping into the ground. 

I have 3 questions: 

Firstly, does the method outlined at the end of the previous paragraph cause the soil pan to harden? 

Secondly, what is the name of the actual equipment used after ploughing i.e. to level the ridges?

Finally, do any of you guys have a contact for a contractor with such equipment based between Chokchai and Nong BunMak, both on highway 24, in Nakhon Ratchisma province? 

I want this done right and have little faith in our guy here in the village. 

If the weeds are only 3-4 weeks old, and the weather has been dry, I would say get a guy in with a 7 disc plough, or a 5 disc plough would do the job if the tractor is a bit on the small side

A 3 disc plough is mainly for deep ploughing, then the 5-7 disc is used to prepare a seedbed for drilling, by using a 5/7 disc plough they do not go down in to the land so far, probably enough to bury the weeds they would be no need to use a blade to level the land .

If, a big if, you can find a tined  cultivator that would do the job, a cultivator would lift the land, and the weeds and the sun would soon dry them out ,no need for a blade to level the land ,but they are not easy to find, and I would say it would be a 5/7 disc plough to do the job, but wait for a bit of rain 5/7 disc ploughs do not work well in very dry land .

In Thai, you need ผาน 5/7 or ผานเเปร. same thing .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Fruit4Life said:

I would never turn the soil. Just get someone to come with a weed cutter once a month. The soil damage is huge.

Well, that's plan B. I'm in two minds about which option to take. I have a bush whacker / strimmer but not really the time. 

3 hours ago, djayz said:

Well, that's plan B. I'm in two minds about which option to take. I have a bush whacker / strimmer but not really the time. 

I thought of that but 2 1/2 rie with a strimmer, a lot of work and now the rains have come ,it will be like painting the Forth road bridge ,you finish and then you turn around and  start again, or find a local farmer who has a tractor mounted grass cutter once a month an 1 hour's  job for him .

As for soil damage by turning the soil I could not disagree with you more, the very topsoil will get patched and hard in the hot weather, with very little nutrients left under the soil it will get hard,any rain will not soak in  just run off the surface .,or collect in low spots and cause waterlogging 

If the soil is worked it will be opened up, it can breath, soil nutrients will work, should make it more fertile,

water can soak into the soil,  less chance of waterlogging and if you do plant anything the roots will grow well, no pan preventing them from growing. 

I know how you feel.

Ploughed these rice fields back in febuary and been waiting for dams to fill up to water level.

They were done with my 4 disc plough which i curse to use but thought would help with the levelling process taking the hard work away from rotovator. 

The smaller fields i used my box scraper when dry to level, thought it would compact but the water has drained through no problem.Bloody rough to drive over on first pass.

The field with all the grass i will leave and hope it doesn't block the rotovator when water levelling,if it does i will have to reluctantly spray first.  

If your land is moist on top,not drenched wet a light lick with a rotovator may do the job,they don't compact as much as days gone bye.

A box scraper would scalp the weeds on hard soil but would seal the soil. 

20190515_094732.jpg

20190515_095051.jpg

20190515_094809.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

what do you plan to do with the land ?  doesn't it need to be tended to every week in the rainy season ?

on my property we had a tractor level the land originally.... then we planted what trees we wanted to grow.

The rest of the land we mow with a large 2 wheeled mower (with a honda engine mounted on it).

even my 40 something yr old gf can use it.   actually she loves mowing .

If we did not live here and left for 2 or 3 weeks, grass would be knee to waist high

Helps that we live on property.... otherwise would need someone constantly to take care.

we keep 5 rai mowed .   good exercise

20190530_143609.jpg

IMG_240.jpg

Edited by rumak
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, rumak said:

what do you plan to do with the land ? 

In a nut shell, we plan on growing organic fruit and vegetables and raising a few free range chickens and ducks for eggs and meat. Most of this will be for our own consumption. Excess produce can be sold, bartered or given away. There's also a small pond on the property so we'll have fish for the dinner table too. 

I'd also like to have a few sheds growing mushrooms for sale and that should generate some income.  I've long thought about raising a few crocs (the money seems to be pretty good with very little work involved).  

At the moment my better half is growing fruit bearing raspberries, blackberries and mulberries. She propagates these and sells the small plants. That generates a few thousand a month for her. Some pocket money on the side if you will, but I know she wants to expand this and grow more as it brings in money almost daily with little work involved. 

I tried growing finger limes on my part of the land, but most plants went tits up (long story). I've changed my supplier and I'm going to grow some more later this year.  I've placed an order with fellow TV member "Grafting Ken" for some plants. The idea is to sell any fruit and create a little cash inflow once or twice a year. 

I'm also growing figs, avocados and one or two young orange trees, but I'd like to get more of these.

As you can see, there's a variety of things you can grow/do here. Our land is quite fertile and most plants grow well. For me, it's more of a hobby. Always something to do and that keeps me occupied. If I could quit my job in BKK and just concentrate on the above, I'm sure it would generate a handsome little income for us, not to mention the organic fruit and veg and a more agreeable lifestyle. 

It's not easy and it won't make me millions, but it's very, very rewarding and keeps me out of pubs and bars... As you can see from above, I have lots of ideas but due to time constraints I can only implement these slowly, step by step. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, djayz said:

As you can see, there's a variety of things you can grow/do here. Our land is quite fertile and most plants grow well. For me, it's more of a hobby. Always something to do and that keeps me occupied. If I could quit my job in BKK and just concentrate on the above, I'm sure it would generate a handsome little income for us, not to mention the organic fruit and veg and a more agreeable lifestyle. 

It is a great lifestyle for those (few) that don't need the bright lights of the city.  A great RETIRED life if you will.   If you are not financially set for the long years ahead, do not give up your day job ????

Save religiously so that you can enjoy the "hobby" full time.   For me its all about the pleasure of living in nature and having things to do.   If it was about the money it would not be very profitable and the feeling would be different.  There are probably a couple of hard core farang farmers living here,  but i think the majority of others would find it is a LOT of work and finding labor (at least where we live)  very very difficult.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rumak said:

finding labor (at least where we live)  very very difficult.

I could write volumes on this topic. Even offering above average rates, it's practically impossible to find people who want to work.  

The only good thing is, they don't complain when the falang is out doing the work himself. 

33 minutes ago, djayz said:

I could write volumes on this topic. Even offering above average rates, it's practically impossible to find people who want to work.  

The only good thing is, they don't complain when the falang is out doing the work himself. 

hard work is a thing of the past,   however, it is a supply and demand situation like everything in life.

the more farangs come here (supply)  the less I am in demand   lol

Weeds aren't random.  To most of us they are invasive but they do have a purpose and different weeds will grow depending of the soil conditions.  In compacted soi weeds with deep taproots will be more prevelent to help break the soil up and in soild depleted of nutrients you will see nitrogen fixers show up.  If you can identify the weeds you have they will let you know what is going on with your soil.  

I am currently working on an area about the size you are working with.  Two years ago it was rows of cassava and after the harvest I had a tractor level it out and once it started raining the grass and weeds started growing.  Last year I started in one corner lightly tilling with a hoe and mulching in with the grass I cut with a bushcutter from the rest of the area, banana plants, rice straw, cardboard boxes, sugarcane leaf, and pretty much any organic material I can get ahold of.  I put in a some mulberry and moringa trees to get started and some acerola as a hedge along the road.  I have some yellow lemon trees I started from seed that will be planted soon along with some other ideas I have.  I also planted some annuals like sunflowers, tomatoes,  and amaranth.  

I am starting in one area and expanding it as I go.  As the planted area grows, the grassy area shrinks leaving less material to use as mulch.  To compensate for this you can plant things like lemongrass, citronella grass, and comfrey that help keep the weeds down and can be used to mulch in around the trees.  I also grow cowpeas, swordbeans, and peanuts in that help fix nitrogen and provide a lot of organic material.  

If you are raising chickens as well, they love grass and weeds.  I am not a fan of free range chickens if they are raised near the house, I prefer an adequate sized run.  You can let them loose but I think you lose a lot their benefits that way.  There is also mobile chicken tractors that you move each day and the chickes can take care of the grass and weeds systemaytically.  

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 7:39 AM, djayz said:

At the moment my better half is growing fruit bearing raspberries, blackberries

Which species are they? Are they really fruiting here?  If so I would like to buy some cuttings.

4 hours ago, maswov said:

Which species are they? Are they really fruiting here?  If so I would like to buy some cuttings.

Hi Maswov. The following cultivars (species) grow well here and bear fruit (I should know as I eat a fair few berries): 

Prime ark 45
Prime ark freedom
Tupy
Natchez
Kiowa ดอกสีขาว (white) 
Kiowa ดอกสีชมพู (pink)

If you want further info, or to place an order, PM me your line ID and she'll contact you directly. 

PS Mrs Djayz, in the 3rd photo, isn't for sale. ????

1559829454985.jpg

1559829468367.jpg

1559829473272.jpg

1559829479590.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

Definitely interested in getting some of these. What stock do you have? How are you sending them out? Your preferred payment method?

Plants are sent out 2/3 times a week via KerryExpress. 

The missus prefers bank transfer.

Her stock of young plants was almost completely wiped out in a flash flood last week - so she is currently trying to build up her stock again. I honestly don't know how many of which she has left so I'm going to pm you her line ID and you can contact her directly yourself.   

• Like 1