1 Month Stay

acoolbreeze

Hi all,

I will be staying in Bkk for a month, and after many, many searches I've found the following places and was hoping for some feedback/advice. My criteria was for an apartment, close to the BTS, preferably on or near Suk, with a pool (a gym would be a bonus) for under 12000 baht.

Rajah Mansion.

Greenery House.

Sathorn Saint View.

Rompo Mansion.

Greenery looks to be the best, but seems a little out of the way, so I'm leaning towards Rajah Mansion.

Any thoughts or additional info or advice?

I also thought of a hotel room for a month, but it seems I'll struggle to find a place that is (half) decent for under B12000. Suggestions?

Finally, I arrive very early, so an option is to book a hotel for the first night and spend the day looking around. But where to look? Are there signs posted outside apartments?

Thanks heaps everyone. Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would not stay at rajah again I spent 2 months there but I didn't have any choice that is where I was booked in by a company I did some work for. I have the following complaints about the Dump.

1. Electricity is very very expensive

2. Lots of rats - found 5 in my room over the 2 months

3. heaps of Russian and Thai working girls staying there which ment noise and fights at all hours of the night. I even witnessed Thai mafia beat the shit out of some Arab guy for not paying one of their girls, this was outside my room at 3am that was after they kicked the lock in and drag him out of his room.

4. Room walls where very thin you could hear people talking in the next room even if they where talking at a low level.

5. Water pressure was pathetic and the toilet needed to be unblocked at least once a week.

5. HBO and Star TV down more times than not with all sorts of errors they is basically the only english channels available.

6. Had my Nikon D50 camera stolen - reported it to police and they said that rajah mansion had many reports of theft, which didn't suprise me after the police officer opened my door with a plastic card.

7. Russian and Middle Eastern people make up for most of the clients at Rajah which means there is often overcrowding in rooms as Rajah mansion don't care how many people live in one room as long as you pay the rent. Not much fun being next to 4 people living in one room it makes for many sleepless nights as there is no such thing as consideration it is a foreign concept.

Stay there at your own peril there are much better places in Bangkok to stay without all the problems.

cheers

scopra

Hi,

I was out today looking for 1-3 month place to stay with around your specifications.

Firstly, if you aren't friends with any thais in BKK , maybe hire a guide for the day. Thais can get you an apartment for a month for 4,500 baht , usually. We went around today and the places we tried are full till the end of the month. You will be buying 4,500 baht/month neighbors of course but it depends on your priority.

The reason I'm writing is I went out to see Greenery House today. The place is amazing and it should be for the price that far out. First, don't expect an 8,000/month to be available. You'll need to buy at least the 10,000/month. New furniture, nice people, immaculate BUT, and this is a big but, its not in a good location. Im not sure where you need to go/from but its a good 15 min moto ride from the subway and not an easy one at that. If I didnt have to travel into bangkok proper Id move in tomorrow. The closest moto taxi stop closes at 7 PM and they say 20 minutes at least if you call for taxi ( traffc depending). If you will have scooter or car go for this place, otherwise be prepared for transport issues.

if you don't mind about seing some rats in your room when you come back in the night, you could try the Rajah Masion :o

Hold on, you must be confusing Rajah Mansion with the seedy-ass Rajah Hotel, next door. Rajah Mansion is on Soi 4, fairly new, neat and clean. Good rate, but then they stole my security deposit when i moved out. Dohh!

When i was apt-hunting i checked out the Rajah Hotel: scary!!

• 1 month later...
Hold on, you must be confusing Rajah Mansion with the seedy-ass Rajah Hotel, next door. Rajah Mansion is on Soi 4, fairly new, neat and clean. Good rate, but then they stole my security deposit when i moved out. Dohh!

believe me i'm not !

i also checked out the Rajah HOTEL, after seing something looking like " a nice and huge pubic hair" on the pillow, i went to the Rajah MANSION, stayed there for 3 weeks in 3 different rooms, 2 of them where clean but the 3rd one (on the 4th floor) had cockroaches and i found a rat in it (he even made 2 quite big holes in the wall next the my bed .... i took some pictures :o )

stayed at sathon st. view. Clean enough place, family ran, prices are ok.. ( i think it was 8 thousand for a month with my elec bill..) has internet, has a small pool/roof drinking area.. the people that stayed there seemed to be a mix of working foreigners and a few tourists, about 5 minute walk from Surasak BTS..

• 1 month later...

I stayed at the Greenery for 7 months last year and would reccomend it highly, VERY friendly, secure and in terms of location, I thought it was fine. You can be at Suthisan MRT in minutes on a moto which takes you straight into town. I liked it being in Ladprao where there are far fewer foreigners than other areas.

The 10,000baht room was fine, fully furnished and cleaned 3 times a week. Total cost with everything for me was approx 15,000 baht.

• 2 years later...

I satayed at Rajah Mansions late '09 and it was quite a scary experience. Thankfully, it was only for 2 weeks and I was glad to move on. There is a lot human scum staying here as it is cheap.

You mentioned Russian working girls - dont forget each one has a pimp staying in the room with her - I know as I was next door. These are not people you want to be in close proximity to. I was lucky with no thefts from my room though on the lastnight some idiot kicked the door to room on the 2nd floor thinking it was his room on the 3rd floor. The lift displays 3 for floor 2 is the reason he got confused in a drunken state. Imagine if that was your room...not good at all. Stay somewhere else for a bit more money,

Also, there are no safety chains on the doors and if ever a place needed those, it is this dump.

I would not stay at rajah again I spent 2 months there but I didn't have any choice that is where I was booked in by a company I did some work for. I have the following complaints about the Dump.

3. heaps of Russian and Thai working girls staying there which ment noise and fights at all hours of the night. I even witnessed Thai mafia beat the shit out of some Arab guy for not paying one of their girls, this was outside my room at 3am that was after they kicked the lock in and drag him out of his room.

4. Room walls where very thin you could hear people talking in the next room even if they where talking at a low level.

5. Water pressure was pathetic and the toilet needed to be unblocked at least once a week.

5. HBO and Star TV down more times than not with all sorts of errors they is basically the only english channels available.

6. Had my Nikon D50 camera stolen - reported it to police and they said that rajah mansion had many reports of theft, which didn't suprise me after the police officer opened my door with a plastic card.

7. Russian and Middle Eastern people make up for most of the clients at Rajah which means there is often overcrowding in rooms as Rajah mansion don't care how many people live in one room as long as you pay the rent. Not much fun being next to 4 people living in one room it makes for many sleepless nights as there is no such thing as consideration it is a foreign concept.

Stay there at your own peril there are much better places in Bangkok to stay without all the problems.

cheers

scopra

I've stayed at the Rompo before, and will do again.

Pros;

Decent sized pool

gym

internet (700b for month unlimited, less PAYG)

nearby facilities - TescoLotus & Carrefour (which has decent foodhall 30-50b per plate)

Snooker/poolhall attached

Secure

You can stay for one month only and no probs with getting deposit back etc

50b taxi ride back from Suk.

Cons;

Very dated

Can be very noisy in the 35sq metre rooms - get one at the front of the building, even if you have to pay more.

It's only a 15 min walk to underground, but it's not a nice walk.

It's in a crap area, so take care at night.

I was searched by the coppers a lot.

The monthly rate was/is 9900b. Then you've got to add 1200 for tv and fridge and another 1200 for twice weekly cleaning. Electricity is 5b.

You can stay nightly for 700b, to see whether you like it first.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been living in Rajah Mansion for almost a year. I think Rajah mansion is not that bad at all. I stay on the 3rd floor at the back side which is very quiet and clean. I always have a good night sleep without any worries. Umm... you guys should try stay on the 3rd floor!

if you don't mind about seing some rats in your room when you come back in the night, you could try the Rajah Masion :)

Rajah hotel maybe scary but Rajah mansion is not!! I get all my security deposit back everytime I stay!!

cheers

scopra

Cheers mate, sounds like the best place to send my ex GF.

Hi,

I was out today looking for 1-3 month place to stay with around your specifications.

Firstly, if you aren't friends with any Thais in BK , maybe hire a guide for the day. Thais can get you an apartment for a month for 4,500 baht , usually. We went around today and the places we tried are full till the end of the month. You will be buying 4,500 baht/month neighbors of course but it depends on your priority.

The reason I'm writing is I went out to see Greenery House today. The place is amazing and it should be for the price that far out. First, don't expect an 8,000/month to be available. You'll need to buy at least the 10,000/month. New furniture, nice people, immaculate BUT, and this is a big but, its not in a good location. I'm not sure where you need to go/from but its a good 15 min moot ride from the subway and not an easy one at that. If I didn't have to travel into bangkok proper Id move in tomorrow. The closest moot taxi stop closes at 7 PM and they say 20 minutes at least if you call for taxi ( traffic depending). If you will have scooter or car go for this place, otherwise be prepared for transport issues.

Just looked their site...........

They are cheap, but everything ya do is charged for.

They charge like the mother in laws wounded Buffalo