Trying To Get A Visa For My Thai G/f For The Uk

Hi

I know there has prob been many many of similar quests regarding this. But i just need a few pointers.

I met my Thai G/F nearly 2 years ago. She was at the time a shop floor manageres of a resteurant. We have kept in touch everyday by phone text, mail or webcam. I have been back to see her 2 more times now and going again in April.

we have kept (if not all ) some of the phone bills mails etc. She currently works for a small company selling space i shops like Big C. Her boss has said she would not have a problem giving her a letter stating her job will be left opn for her when she gets back. She also does some part time work in her best friends, husbands Sweedish/ Thai resteurant. He also said he would be willing to give a letter. She has travelled before but only around asia Singapore etc but never to Europe.

I myself am 44 and shes 39. I live in a 3 bed semi (with mortgage) and earn 28K+ have around 10 k savings and been with the same company for 12 years.

So if i get together photos, phone bills, emails , mortgage statment , bank statment, a sponser letter stating our relationship and and the desire to spend more time together (A marrige test run). Along with her bosses letters.

Questions : would it be better if i went with her to Bangkok or does it not matter as i have heard i can not go in with her anyway

Would it be better to print off every email or just would a selection do. I know the more the better or are they just looking for a bit of truth as to how long and out intentions are in the relationship accross a few post date mails.

We are hoping she is successful and to get a visa which covers this years June/July/ August.

Any feed back would well appreciated. As i have said this quest must of been asked over and over again in many guises , so i appologise if i annoy anyone asking again.

Cheers Andy Mac - Birmingham UK

Andy,

Your g/f would appear to have as good a chance as anyone. You have the means to support and accommodate her, and she has verifiable employment which will demonstrate an incentive to return. In addition, you have a relationship which spans two years.

You essentially need demonstrate through e-mails, phone bills etc. that you have known each other for the claimed length of time, that you have the wherewithal to support her, and that she has employment to return to. It's not a prerequisite that you be in Thailand when your g/f applies, but if you happen to be there, you can at least hold her hand through the process. I'd print off a selection of e-mails which span the entire course of the relationship rather than the entire lot, and don't forget to include a copy of your passport.

All the best,

Scouse.

From what you have said here and if you submit a thorough application, give everything that is suggested in the application guidance notes (INF2) , sponsors notes and sponsors notes (INF3) and more you will stand a very good chance of being successful.

If your g/f is confident she can make her own application alone but to help you can fill in the form for her (just leave her to sign) and write the covering note for her as well as your sponsorship package of evidence and send it to her (by courier if you feel more secure) and she can submit it herself to UK Visas

It is normally suggested that if she is employed then a standard holiday of say 4 or 5 weeks is more likely to be approved for a first visit but if her employers give convincing letters that they are prepared to have her away from work for 3 months then you can go for the longer period.

I dont know if it is still available or published and updated, but the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants (JCWI) use to produce an excellent handbook for independent immigration advisors and it gave excellent advice on this matter and explained all the docs and processes involved.

Best part is asking if you can record on tape the interview at the embassy and then finally after giving all answers asking for them to be repeated to ensure that they have been recorded accurately.

All the evidence provided was I beleive copied, so I you have some very persoanl emails the UK Governmnet will know all about your pet names - by having alot the clerk dealing with it wont be happy - but the interviewer typically doesnt copy it all.

It is normally suggested that if she is employed then a standard holiday of say 4 or 5 weeks is more likely to be approved for a first visit but if her employers give convincing letters that they are prepared to have her away from work for 3 months then you can go for the longer period.

It is not required as such. A friend of mine went to UK for 3 days' visit and stayed there for whole six months. He did not have any problem, as visit visa of UK is usually issued for 6 months. Later he applied for another visit visa and he got for 2 years visa.

So you can apply for 1 week visa and she can stay there for as long as her visa permits her.

It is not required as such. A friend of mine went to UK for 3 days' visit and stayed there for whole six months. He did not have any problem, as visit visa of UK is usually issued for 6 months. Later he applied for another visit visa and he got for 2 years visa.

So you can apply for 1 week visa and she can stay there for as long as her visa permits her.

Andy,

If when you apply you do this it may dig yourself into a hole for any future applications, you can do this but next time you apply the eco will probably look at this in a very negative way, it will just appear is if you were trying to get around the 'system' so to speak, you'll find most folks here would advise against it!

Decide how long she wants to stay and stick to it!

good luck, nice photo!

Mark

Edited by markr

A friend of mine went to UK for 3 days' visit and stayed there for whole six months. He did not have any problem, as visit visa of UK is usually issued for 6 months. Later he applied for another visit visa and he got for 2 years visa.

This is true, I will agree as we did this also, but only thru ignorance and ignorance is no defence I believe, we asked for a two month visa and got six months not knowing this was the norm, so she stayed for just over five.

According to the informed posters, this is certainly not recommended, as suggested above, I am afraid this could come back and bite you in the backside if you are not careful.

Good Luck

Moss

It really depends on what evidence you gave as your reason to return to Thailand. In this case he intends giving letters from g/f's employers stating that she will return in 3 months (or maybe less) and expects the ECO to grant permission to go to UK on the strength of it. If you then return after 6 months would you be upset if the ECO didn't believe what you stated in your next application?

Andy

If you make a solid application based on what you you have said in your post the chances are your g/f will not be required to attend an interview. no worries cool.gif

Not sure why you think this Mahout Angrit but you're wrong. Every Thai person who applies to visit the UK will have to attend an interview.

The general tone of the replies in this thread are positive and upbeat. Without wishing to be a party pooper, being granted a visa to visit the Uk is not a simple and straightforward experience.

2 years after we first applied for a visa to visit the UK - I'm still incensed by our treatment.

My wife applied for a visa to visit the UK.

At the time we were (and still are) living together in Khon Kaen.

We have a house here.

Our stepdaughter lives with us.

We had a dog (now we've 3)

We had a car we were still paying for.

We wanted a visa for a 3 week holiday so I could introduce my wife to my parents.

We had money in a Thai bank.

Outcome? Visa refused on the grounds of insufficient evidence my wife intended to return to Thailand.

This provoked a long correspondence between myself and the Entry Clearance Officer who couldn't answer me the question - "what more proof do you need that my wife intends to return to Thailand if a house, a car, and money in a Thai bank isn't sufficient - he wouldn't answer the question.

Take nothing for granted with the British Embassy in Bangkok.

I wish you luck Andy - you'll probably need it.

(by the way - one way to increase your chances is to use the method many people end up trying - the cash in hand approach. My mate got a visa for his g/f but it cost him 60,000 thai baht - if you want details contact me)

Andy

If you make a solid application based on what you you have said in your post the chances are your g/f will not be required to attend an interview. no worries cool.gif

Not sure why you think this Mahout Angrit but you're wrong. Every Thai person who applies to visit the UK will have to attend an interview.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

If all the evidence supplied with the application shows that, on the balance of probabilities, the criteria for the visa are met then it will be issued without an interview. The many posts from those whose partner etc. have received a visit visa without an interview show that this is true.

In 2005/6 the Bangkok embassy received 39,085 non-settlement applications. Are you seriously suggesting that they were all interviewed!

(by the way - one way to increase your chances is to use the method many people end up trying - the cash in hand approach. My mate got a visa for his g/f but it cost him 60,000 thai baht - if you want details contact me)
How many times do we see this from con artists pretending to be visa agents. "Pay us a large amount of money and we guarantee you a visa!"

Every year tens of thousands of Thais get a UK visa without paying any more than the standard fees to the embassy and the VAC.

Edited by GU22

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

If all the evidence supplied with the application shows that, on the balance of probabilities, the criteria for the visa are met then it will be issued without an interview. The many posts from those whose partner etc. have received a visit visa without an interview show that this is true.

I'm only speaking from personal experience. My wife attended 2 interviews to obtain her first visa (its been renewed twice since without interview). Our cirumstamces were identical on both occasions and yet we were unsuccessful on first application.
In 2005/6 the Bangkok embassy received 39,085 non-settlement applications. Are you seriously suggesting that they were all interviewed!

On the second occasion we applied for a visa our forms were received in July 2005 - our interview date? February 2006.

How many times do we see this from con artists pretending to be visa agents. "Pay us a large amount of money and we guarantee you a visa!"

My mate met his g/f once, returned to Bangkok and applied for a visa through an agency. His g/f had just been deported from Japan having overstayed her visa by just the 7 years. She left her husband in Japan. My mate handed over 60,000tb - she was given a new name, new id card, they went through a traditional Thai marriage, had the marriage registered at the local amphur, was given a list of things to say at the interview and came out with a 2 year visa.

I was appalled - the system stinks but as all those people who live here know - T.I.T.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

I'm only speaking from personal experience. My wife attended 2 interviews to obtain her first visa (its been renewed twice since without interview). Our cirumstamces were identical on both occasions and yet we were unsuccessful on first application.

This appears to contradict your previous statement in your previous post, that all applicants require an interview?

On the second occasion we applied for a visa our forms were received in July 2005 - our interview date? February 2006.

My mate met his g/f once, returned to Bangkok and applied for a visa through an agency. His g/f had just been deported from Japan having overstayed her visa by just the 7 years. She left her husband in Japan. My mate handed over 60,000tb - she was given a new name, new id card, they went through a traditional Thai marriage, had the marriage registered at the local amphur, was given a list of things to say at the interview and came out with a 2 year visa.

I would suggest this is a pretty unattractive post to make on this forum

Agents cannot guarantee a thing, no matter what they promise

I was appalled - the system stinks but as all those people who live here know - T.I.T.

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn

Dear Slim,

European govments are becoming increasingly xenophobic in the recent years, some more then others, but, in general they all have run way out of any acceptable range. But thios don't mean they are right not they can get it their way:

1. If you hold a Britsh passport no one can hold you from returning any time to your country, for whatever reason and for as long as you deem suitable.

2. International Human Rights provide that when you move to a country, you have always the right to take you spouse or registered partner and your legal children with you. You have nothing to prove more then that.

Especially on rule 2, many european countries are now transgressing the law, simply because most people who are refused a visa don't fight back....but be sure they all know that they are bloody wrong doing.....

So how to do from here? Apply for the required visa in the normal way. If the 'processing' of the visa exceeds the normal delays (another way to keep you out with endless processing.. a specialty of Belgium and Netherlands for example) or if the visa is not granted , then contact the Human rights association of the country that does not respect the rules (in your case UK) and ask them for a recommended lawyer to take up the case for you. Thus in your case you need a British lawyer to take it up for you against british govment. You'll have to pay that lawyer for what he does, but you will also get the visa for your family, incuding a permanent stay visa if that is what you asked for. Remember you have the right to go back to UK and stay there forever if you want to.

I'm sorry you sound so bitter, but you must have done something wrong in your application. You only have to look back in this forum for a few weeks and you will see a number of G/f's and wives who have received visas without interviews, some who have little evidence of a relationship and do not live in Thailand with their girlfriend. I myself sponsored 2 first time visitors to UK in January and they both got a visitors visa without an interview, they didn't even go to Bangkok.

Your details of how your friend got a visa is I'm sure true but getting a new ID to cover up past misdemeanours is not necessary in most cases as 90% of applicants who apply to the embassy are successful using their birth identity and current circumstances.

2. International Human Rights provide that when you move to a country, you have always the right to take you spouse or registered partner and your legal children with you. You have nothing to prove more then that.

I am not sure that being a spouse of a British National allows you automatic right to bring your Wife/Husband/Partner into the UK, there was a post on here some time ago regarding an over-riding document in relation to the Defence of Home land Security takeing precedence over the Human Rights Act.

I stand to be corrected though.

Good Luck

Provided you satisfy the relevent requirements of the Immigration Rules then you will be granted a UK visa.

National security and immigration policy takes precedence over article 8 of ECHR, the right to family life. Section 2 of which says

There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the lawand is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

(My emphasis)

Slim posted

I'm only speaking from personal experience. My wife attended 2 interviews to obtain her first visa (its been renewed twice since without interview).
So three successful applications, only one of which required an interview. From this you conclude
Every Thai person who applies to visit the UK will have to attend an interview.
On the second occasion we applied for a visa our forms were received in July 2005 - our interview date? February 2006
I have no idea why it should take so long, but if you say it did then I must assume that you are being as accurate in this respect as you are with the other 'facts' you posted.

With regard to the criminal activities of your friend and his girlfriend. I don't know what the Thai authorities would do if they find out, but as far as the UK is concerned she is guilty of obtaining a visa by deception and he of aiding and abetting her. If discovered it would be prison for both of them and then deportation and PNG status for her.

If it were not for the activities of scum such as this couple and the necessity of trying to stop such criminals from entering the UK the whole process would be a lot simpler for honest applicants.