New Marriage or retirement visa

I have been married to my Thai wife for 2 years and I am 54 years old. I have 800 000baht to leave in a Thai bank account. I have international medical insurance. We are in the process of building a house in Phu Ruea Loei province(completed in October 2019).I want to stay in Thailand 1-3 months at a time commuting to South Africa as needed for my business,how do I go about starting the process for either one of these visas?Any recommendations are wellcome

The multiple non-o visa(based on marriage). Can I stay for multiple periods of max 90 days based on a 1 year period?

The 1 year extension will also be done in Savannakhet(after one year) and will be on the same basis as above?

I read a lot about visa runs could you help me understand?

You can stay continually up to almost 15 months with only and exit/entry every 90 days on a multi O visa.  Extensions are done at a local immigration office (not a Consulate) and would require meeting normal financial requirements for retirement or marriage and providing normal paperwork.  There is no issue making visa runs if you have such a visa and would allow trips to work so may never have to make.

Edited by lopburi3

7 minutes ago, Johan drc said:

The multiple non-o visa(based on marriage). Can I stay for multiple periods of max 90 days based on a 1 year period?

You will get a 90 day permit to stay every time you enter the country for one year from the date the visa is issued. You can even get another 90 day entry on the day the visa expires that allows a total stay of almost 15 months from the visa.

7 minutes ago, Johan drc said:

The 1 year extension will also be done in Savannakhet(after one year) and will be on the same basis as above?

The one year extension is applied for at the local immigration office where you are living. You would be extending a 90 day entry from the non-o visa. If you wanted to get the extension you could get single entry non-o and extend the 90 day entry from it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

From everything I have read ....the 800,000 Bt. in the bank way is by far the least troublesome (especially when needs to be renewed).

Not sure where you were reading but a simple embassy certificate of income is all most people need so if that is easily available often the least work.  New regulations on the 800k makes it very difficult to use or depend on using for emergency without issues at next extension of stay.  But obviously will fit some of those that can just ignore funds until/if needed for emergency.  As for those unable to use embassy income letters indeed until the smoke clears it does seem a safe harbor approach - although now subject to its own uneven playing field with new rules that are not totally clear.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2019 at 8:04 AM, dotpoom said:

From everything I have read ....the 800,000 Bt. in the bank way is by far the least troublesome (especially when needs to be renewed).

Setting up automatic monthly transfers is quite easy and I only have to have enough money in a Thai bank to keep the account open.

• 1 month later...

Hi ubunjoe

If i get a ME non o visa(based on marraige) 1 year at savannahket and i do not intend in staying longer than 90 days in per visit,is there anything else i must do ?

Edited by Johan drc

3 minutes ago, Johan drc said:

Hi ubunjoe

If i get a ME non o visa(based on marraige) 1 year at savannahket and i do not intend in staying longer than 90 days in per visit,is there anything else i must do ?

There is nothing you need to do other than leave the when your 90 day entry ends.

6 minutes ago, Johan drc said:

I have read somewhere about a 30 day "trailperiod"?

To confirm also no 400 000baht in bank needed?

I can do the same next year this time based on same situation?

If you apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration there is a 30 day under consideration period after your application is accepted.

For an extension application you have to have 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 400k baht.

You can apply for an extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from your non-o visa.

9 minutes ago, Johan drc said:

I have read somewhere about a 30 day "trailperiod"?

To confirm also no 400 000baht in bank needed?

I can do the same next year this time based on same situation?

No idea what 30 day would be about.

No 400k required at Savannakhet or HCMC.

If nothing changes - but 3 months later if you make last entry just prior to visa expiration - life does not come with guarantees however.

Udonjoe i very much appreciate your help.

I agree that there is no garantees for next year,but i will keep following changes on this forum,you need a masters degree for all this ????

Any insight into t 30 report, i am busy with construction of a house(in wife name),she is currently renting a house close to our building site

Re the "retirement visa", OA non-immigrant visa, NOT based on marriage, you would have to apply for that at the Thai consulate in Pretoria, your country of origin/citizenship. That's what I did about 5-6 years ago, cost about R2200 then, the biggest delay was getting the SA police clearance certificate which took about six weeks. In total it took about eight weeks. A straightforward procedure. After two years I then extended one year with the B800,000 route. The Thai Consulate will tell you exactly what's required but make sure it's for the OA-Non-Immigrant visa, at first they gave me the procedures for a different visa. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Johan drc said:

Any insight into t 30 report, i am busy with construction of a house(in wife name),she is currently renting a house close to our building site

The TM30 report is not asked for unless you go to a immigration office to do something. That is about the only time it is enforced.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Johan drc said:

Hi ubonjoe.i just want to thank you for all your help.got my non o 1 year ME based on marriage in Savannakhet on Wednesday.Only around 30 people waiting,but thursday chaos

The reason being those who apply in the morning are not refused entry. Last week there were still dozens of them at 3pm...

The 2pm collection window stayed closed so we all sweltered...A bright spark opened the second window for collections about 2.30pm..