More than 200 Phuket prisoners released by royal pardon

webfact

More than 200 Phuket prisoners released by royal pardon

By Waranya Prompinpiras

1557909593_1-org.jpg

Relatives wait outside Phuket Prison this morning (May 15). Photo: Waranya Prompinpiras

PHUKET: More than 200 prisoners were released from Phuket Provincial Prison this morning (May 15) after receiving a royal pardon from His Majesty in honour of his Royal Coronation.

Relatives waited expectantly out side the prison gate to welcome their loved ones beyond the prison walls.

In total, 216 inmates, 177 men and 39 women, were granted their freedom this morning, Phuket Provincial Prison Commissioner Soontorn Dechraksa explained to The Phuket News.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/more-than-200-phuket-prisoners-released-by-royal-pardon-71440.php#6cLfbdWivIFOBywX.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-05-16

All 216 were serving sentences for “small cases”, he said.

“They were all also serving their first jail sentences. None of the prisoners released were serving sentences for drugs or serious cases,”

I don't consider an earlier release of these low level offenders as likely to result in a crime wave. Most would have been due for release soon anyway.

Obviously, inevitably, some will be recidivists, but keeping them longer in crowded jails could have the opposite effect to rehabilitation.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

All 216 were serving sentences for “small cases”, he said.

“They were all also serving their first jail sentences. None of the prisoners released were serving sentences for drugs or serious cases,”

I don't consider an earlier release of these low level offenders as likely to result in a crime wave. Most would have been due for release soon anyway.

Obviously, inevitably, some will be recidivists, but keeping them longer in crowded jails could have the opposite effect to rehabilitation.

Is there really any rehabilitation here?

7 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Tomorrow's new,crime wave hits phuket but officials can't work out why..

Ever thought about reading the article and seeing who was released? I guess this isn't happening in Udon Thani as well or you might be commenting there instead about a thread concerning the other end of the country.

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Ever thought about reading the article and seeing who was released? I guess this isn't happening in Udon Thani as well or you might be commenting there instead about a thread concerning the other end of the country.

Yes a large amount of convicted criminals who no doubt have learned the ropes behind bars and met some new connections.

As for you guessing this doesn't happen in udon thani,I think you will be wrong.i was just commenting on phuket prison because that was the prison in the report.by Christ haven't you got something's better to hit the keyboard with.oh and by the way they are not angels being let out,some will be violent and sex offenders among other nasty crimes.

10 hours ago, happy chappie said:

by the way they are not angels being let out,some will be violent and sex offenders among other nasty crimes.

All 216 were serving sentences for “small cases"

Archived