A New Dell Laptop bought in the USA-Voltage Concern

khaepmu

A new Dell laptop bought in the USA is going to land on my desk in a few days. I am wondering if I can just plug it in here in Thailand or do I need to get a power converter. I thought these new laptops come with  power converters. 

2 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

The power supply cable and charger will be 110-220/240V. It's standard. 

But do check, I've never come across a lappie that's not "universal", but there's a first time for everything.

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

But do check, I've never come across a lappie that's not "universal", but there's a first time for everything.

Good point.

I bought my first laptop in the US when I was working on a project there in 1995. They were way cheaper in the US than in the UK then. It came with 17 floppy disks to load Windows 95. How times have changed. 

OP if you are asking this question on the power supply it sounds like your, not a "techie". If the laptop comes with pre-installed operating software Windows 10 then all well and good. If not make sure you install the original operating system and not some fake or copied rubbish version that is available in Thailand. 

The Dell brick (AC to DC adapter) supports 100-240V/50-60Hz so no issues.

The Dell brick may have a 3-prong grounded plug, or a 2 blade plug, so depending on your location's outlets, worst case you'd need a 30-baht physical adapter.

more important than the voltage is the supply frequency, most power supply equipment for electronic devices these days will handle 110 - 220V and 50 - 60hz...in a saudi kitchen you may have outlets for both voltages but only for 60hz which is the generating and transmission frequency (3600rpm for the conventional generating plant rotating equipment, turbines and the coupled generators)...around here (SE Asia except for the Philippines) most system frequencies are 50hz...

Archived