Dengue Fever Outbreak

Joann

Each year there is a dengue fever outbreak in Phuket as dengue is endemic to Phuket.  Now its being joined by dengue’s baby brother Chikungunya.  In Rawai/Nai Harn there have been April public protests over government inaction about this scourge that has affected many schoolchildren at the Wat Sawang Aroom school (Mostly due to a work camp behind the school that seems to have escaped the eyes of local officials). Singapore has registered over 3000 dengue cases (a record) this year and has an awareness program that puts Phuket in the 3rd division.  Phuket is so ill prepared to deal with this problem that the nearest repair shop for mosquito foggers is in Samut Prakan!  There used to be a shop in Chalong (They also do garden equipment like lawn mowers) – However they are no longer doing this business. Awareness without fogging is pretty useless.  Please investigate!

I had dengue a few years ago, and it’s not fun. I was 46 at the time, and very fit. I remember waking up thinking it was the worst hangover ever, then realized I hadn’t had a drink in 4-5 days. Recover at home drinking lots of water and eating fruit. I knew what I had, no need for a quack.

I fog my yard with ARS twice a month, keeps the mossies away.

Coffin dodgers be aware, this shit will shut you down for weeks, or permanently.

Edited by LeungKen
Correct the font

25 minutes ago, Shot said:

I had dengue a few years ago, and it’s not fun. I was 46 at the time, and very fit. I remember waking up thinking it was the worst hangover ever, then realized I hadn’t had a drink in 4-5 days. Recover at home drinking lots of water and eating fruit. I knew what I had, no need for a quack.

I fog my yard with ARS twice a month, keeps the mossies away.

Coffin dodgers be aware, this shit will shut you down for weeks, or permanently.

People rarely die the first time they get Dengue. It's the second, or third time that will kill you.

Bit of trivia. Back in the 19th century, it was called Break-bone fever due to the convulsions sufferers had towards the end.

On 5/23/2019 at 8:42 PM, Joann said:

Now its being joined by dengue’s baby brother Chikungunya.

I guess you've never had Chikungunya to say that! I was pretty much crippled by it for over two years, then had a hip replacement that the doctors think that Chikungunya may have caused. Definitely something to avoid!

On 5/27/2019 at 7:45 AM, Jimi007 said:

I guess you've never had Chikungunya to say that! I was pretty much crippled by it for over two years, then had a hip replacement that the doctors think that Chikungunya may have caused. Definitely something to avoid!

Last November 5 out of the 6 persons that were living in our complex in Rawai, Soi Kok Yang, have been infected by Chikungunya.

Now, after six months I am better also if I still have some pain at the arms in the morning, one of my neighbours still have strong pain and swelling.

We were fumigating once a month our gardens, but maybe to do it not all together in the same time, in adjacent areas, has been a mistake.

For shure it has not been sufficient.

Definitely an underestimated danger.

Edited by federicoP
grammar mistake

Always use a DEET based repellant, applied every 6-8 hours, long sleeved shirts, light weight trousers

Remember to apply repellant to neck areas.

The Best Way to Use Mosquito Repellent. Insect repellents that use deet come in varying concentrations, ranging from 4 percent to 100 percent. Our previous tests show that concentrations of 30 percent provide the same protection against mosquitoes as higher percentages for up to 8 hours.May 30, 2018

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Always use a DEET based repellant, applied every 6-8 hours, long sleeved shirts, light weight trousers

The Best Way to Use Mosquito Repellent. Insect repellents that use deet come in varying concentrations, ranging from 4 percent to 100 percent. Our previous tests show that concentrations of 30 percent provide the same protection against mosquitoes as higher percentages for up to 8 hours.May 30, 2018

And doing that on a consistent basis is good for you? 

And what is the source for that quote please?

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

That is a very bad idea for your general health.  They are meant for short term use,  not everyday use.  Besides which, if you have to live a life like that it this country, then living here is most definitely not for you. 

20 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

That is a very bad idea for your general health.  They are meant for short term use,  not everyday use.  Besides which, if you have to live a life like that it this country, then living here is most definitely not for you. 

better than effects of mosquito related illnesses

No scientific evidence long term use Is detrimental, that I can find, that is peer reviewed evidence

32 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

No scientific evidence long term use Is detrimental, that I can find, that is peer reviewed evidence

In my past life in the Military, many years ago, it was stressed to us that long term use of such products would result in harm  and could become counter productive, as most were not very effective anyway and that getting used to the environment and adapting was the key and the use of insect repellents was restricted to working in the jungle or close to.   They knew a thing or two back then. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Still waiting for the source of your quote.

You can't find it, doesn't mean it is not there.

12 hours ago, stevenl said:

Still waiting for the source of your quote.

You can't find it, doesn't mean it is not there.

One of the journals I looked up, I am sure if you put the quote in your favourite search engine it will come up

12 hours ago, Pilotman said:

In my past life in the Military, many years ago, it was stressed to us that long term use of such products would result in harm  and could become counter productive, as most were not very effective anyway and that getting used to the environment and adapting was the key and the use of insect repellents was restricted to working in the jungle or close to.   They knew a thing or two back then. 

Was the advice anecdotal or scientifically based??

One does not become immune to dengue to the best of my limited knowledge, in fact I think that the more often exposed to it them more likely to severe effects.

Would be good check with the experts from London School of  Tropical Medicine I guess

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Was the advice anecdotal or scientifically based??

One does not become immune to dengue to the best of my limited knowledge, in fact I think that the more often exposed to it them more likely to severe effects.

Would be good check with the experts from London School of  Tropical Medicine I guess

I didn't say anything about Dengue fever, I was talking about insect repellents in my post.  After my episode,  I was told by the Drs that you don't get full Dengue reaction twice, as you produce antibodies from your first exposure.  However, your body reacts in much the same way if you get infected again, as the antibodies fight your corner.  

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I didn't say anything about Dengue fever, I was talking about insect repellents in my post.  After my episode,  I was told by the Drs that you don't get full Dengue reaction twice, as you produce antibodies from your first exposure.  However, your body reacts in much the same way if you get infected again, as the antibodies fight your corner.  

Not quite as simple as that.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/12/111221151713.htm

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

I can only report what was said to me by the Doctors who treated me at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, albeit that it was 15 years ago now.  

As you can see, this research was done a lot more recently. I would discount what those doctors told you.

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

28 minutes ago, metisdead said:

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

thank you