Which Visa For Australia?

I have been married to my Thai wife for two years tomorrow (11/03). I want to take her to visit Australia next Christmas but I am not sure which visa we should apply for.

I am sure she will have no trouble with a tourist visa, she is 42 years old, has two children here and one grandchild. she owns land and a house, we are legally married as well as the village wedding, she has six brothers and three sisters and is very involved with the community.

Should I try for a spouse visa or a settlement visa just in case we decide to settle in Australia? Would these pose any problems which would make the process difficult? Is there any advantage in the spouse/settlement visa versus the ordinary tourist visa?

We live in Pai and a trip to Bangkok is a two day trek so I would like to apply by post, is this possible/easy?

Thanks,

Colin & Puangsoi

I have been married to my Thai wife for two years tomorrow (11/03). I want to take her to visit Australia next Christmas but I am not sure which visa we should apply for.

I am sure she will have no trouble with a tourist visa, she is 42 years old, has two children here and one grandchild. she owns land and a house, we are legally married as well as the village wedding, she has six brothers and three sisters and is very involved with the community.

Should I try for a spouse visa or a settlement visa just in case we decide to settle in Australia? Would these pose any problems which would make the process difficult? Is there any advantage in the spouse/settlement visa versus the ordinary tourist visa?

We live in Pai and a trip to Bangkok is a two day trek so I would like to apply by post, is this possible/easy?

Colin & Puangsoi

First off you need to decide, are you bringing her for a visit or to stay....for a visit a tourist visa is required.

You cant get a spouse visa while she is here on a tourist visa.

The advantage of a spouse visa is she wont have to go back.

There is a GDA courier office in Chiangmai.....applications can be lodged there...you can download the Apps from the Immi Website or ask the Embassy to send one....the GDA office may have them also.

Edited by gburns57au

Thank you Mr Burns, I think the chances of her wanting to stay and leave all her family are about two thirds of FA...

I will try for a tourist visa, I will investigate the GDA courier office in CM. I hope I can do it there without too much trouble. I did meet the Hon Consul a couple of years ago, he stamped a form to let us get married. Nice bloke but I think he has gone now.