The Microcosmic ( Card) Headache These Days...

Isaanbiker

I've just bought a 256 GB Micro card online from a Chinese seller. Of course am I aware that I didn't buy the best product on the market and got a few questions. It came in a case that fits into my notebook, but also my main PC.

First, it wasn't visible, but after giving it a drive letter, I can see it, but I can't copy stuff on it, or anything else. It tells me that it's "locked" when I try certain things.

How could I ul=nlock this little piece of sh....strange electronic? Any advice would be deeply appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Kind regards and a great week !!!!

I'd expect to pay 1500-2500 baht for a 256GB Micro SD or standard SD card, depending on speed and brand name... how much did you pay?

Very cheap cards that are a problem to copy to usually mean you have a fake card.

25 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Don't buy cheap Chinese cards. Sometimes they aren't actually the capacity that you think you have purchased.

So test it before use;

I do feel like a Chinese monkey now without a brain because some of them have eaten it! Thanks for the one poster who pointed out to unlock it first!

But that's not the problem at all. It shows a capacity of 250 GB, which would be okay, but/....................................

Whatever I try, it says the disc is write protected!

I know that some guys rip others off, but I still don't know if I can use it for anything/ That really made my day. 

BTW, I've downloaded this program and tried my best. All it does, it shows Error creating file 'F:\1.h2w'.
(The media is write protected. Code 19)
Writing speed: 0.00 KByte/s
H2testw v1.4

I'm speechless. The thingy should be sent back to where it came from. 

39 minutes ago, JamJar said:

250GB doesn't sound right. It would be around 240GB after formatting.

Anyway, first go to 1:10 on this video; 

Then try this; https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Try another SDXC adapter if the problem persists, if you can find one.

Okay, I've got 240 GB. Will try some more, if not it lands in the bin. Thanks, will try that now.

P.S. I can't even format it. It's locked.

And I don't think it's the adapter. But who knows? Thanks a lot!!!

I found the culprit, tried another adaptor and it seems that I couldn't unlock the one the card came with. problem solved!!!!! Millions of thanks for all your help.

I thought they sold me a defect card, to be honest. 

And also many thanks to the other posters, deeply appreciated, the card works well. 

41 minutes ago, JamJar said:

250GB doesn't sound right. It would be around 240GB after formatting.

Anyway, first go to 1:10 on this video; 

Then try this; https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Try another SDXC adapter if the problem persists, if you can find one.

You saved my evening!!! Thanks a lot. Great info you've provided! 

12 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Okay, I've got 240 GB. Will try some more, if not it lands in the bin. Thanks, will try that now.

P.S. I can't even format it. It's locked.

And I don't think it's the adapter. But who knows? Thanks a lot!!!

I found the culprit, tried another adaptor and it seems that I couldn't unlock the one the card came with. problem solved!!!!! Millions of thanks for all your help.

I thought they sold me a defect card, to be honest. 

And also many thanks to the other posters, deeply appreciated, the card works well. 

Have you actually tried to load test the card? Try transferring say 4GB of data to it, select the card and hit properties to see if the numbers add up reference used/free space.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it and what brand was it?

Archived