Thai Culture Ministry wants Tom Yum Kung on UNESCO’s intangible cultural heritage list

webfact

I bet that's the first time the committee will be asked to entertain the idea of including a soup recipe to a list of significant cultural elements and traditions from other nation. Uppity-ups in Thai society are probably just annoyed that even their neighbour, Cambodia (that they see as being so lowly) has made the list for things like Sbek Thom, Khmer shadow theatre and The Royal Ballet of Cambodia, whereas nothing from Thailand culture has been viewed as unique enough to be included.

I suspect there are a few other nations who feel they have a food culture and certain dishes that are easily as significant as Thai food and Tom Yum Kung, so if one soup recipe is allowed, they may fear it will open the flood gates to every nation and region insisting their food should be on the list too. That could eventually make Unesco’s Intangible Cultural Heritage list a bit of a joke. 

Edited by Inn Between

2 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Thai food is undoubtedly one of the world food kings along with Indian food in India. 100% deserves a place on the list.

I  think its  pretty  disgusting  both Indian and Thai, especially Thai, they may as  well  just fry up some old  chillies and serve  that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chazar said:

I  think its  pretty  disgusting  both Indian and Thai, especially Thai, they may as  well  just fry up some old  chillies and serve  that.

Opinions pal, we've all got one. I think they're both fantastic foods, I love the aromas, the mixture of herbs and spices, the spice, the breads and use of lentils in India, the mixture of sweet, sour, savoury, and spicy in Thailand, use of coconut, the huge variety, etc, etc. Some prefer burger and chips, pizza, pasta, hotdogs, whatever but it's all rather bland to my taste buds compared to the food from the aforementioned countries. 

• 2 weeks later...