Thai Driving Licence

mallmagician

If I go to the test centre, do I need to show them my UK license in order to apply for a Thai one.

Or can I just turn up, take the test, and get my license?

Cheers

Phil

Phil,

If you have your UK license then there is no need to take a test and you can get your Thai licence with an application form and a fee. Without your licence you will have to take the eye, foot and string pulling co-ordination test, the 20 question written test and the practical driving test as well. All of which would take you the best part of a day.

Personally I would save myself the hassle and just produce my UK driving licence as it is far easier to convert although I have to admit it is less of a fun experience compared to doing what the Thai's have to do to get their licence.

Some of your answers will be found in the Chiang Mai forum, others in the Motoring forum, where there is a pinned topic on the subject. In Chiang Mai, the office of the DMV on Hang Dong Road, south of Tesco Lotus and just before the pedestrian overpass going south, had a sheet in English and Thai listing the requirements. Having an international DL may be more important than the national license.

Actually, if your home country license is in English, it appears that you don't need an international DP. My license is in Swedish, so I needed an international one. However, I have several friends/acquaintancies that have gotten a Thai license based on their UK/US/Canadian/Aussie etc ones.

/Priceless

You will need an IDP as well as your home license. Maybe some places/staff let it go, but they're easy enough to obtain and can save a whole lot of hassle. You will also need a medical certificate, proof of address cert', photos, dosh, etc. You will be exempted from the practical and written tests if your IDP shows you have passed the respective tests in your home country. Simply take the reaction and colour tests if this is the case. First-time licenses are valid for one year and are then extendable on the day of expiry, or just after, for another five years.

When I bought my new truck, I was informed by the dealer that for driving around Chiang Mai, no problem with just using my US license. They highly suggested however that I get a Thai license if I plan on driving out of the city...say to the northeast or down to the south, whatever. They say that my US license would suffice if needed, however a Thai license would just make things simpler at the police check points or whatever. I did my research here on the forum and it sounds like a relatively painless . Its just a matter of getting my procrasting ass down there and doing it :o

When I bought my new truck, I was informed by the dealer that for driving around Chiang Mai, no problem with just using my US license. They highly suggested however that I get a Thai license if I plan on driving out of the city...say to the northeast or down to the south, whatever. They say that my US license would suffice if needed, however a Thai license would just make things simpler at the police check points or whatever. I did my research here on the forum and it sounds like a relatively painless . Its just a matter of getting my procrasting ass down there and doing it :o

They just wanted to sell you a truck, don't believe everything they tell you. For a start it stipulates on the "third party" compulsory insurance that a Thai licence is a pre requisit, and without it, your insurance is void! Similarly if you take out a separate "full cover" insurance, the fine print states that you are only covered if in posession of a full Thai driving licence. In the event of a major accident you would not be covered using a foreign licence, and could cost you a great deal on money.