windows 10 email problem

pennine

Can anyone help with the above? if I try to send an email in windows 10, it stays in the outbox and will not send. Windows help is no help at all. I type the question, it then says "do you mean" and offers a list of alternatives, none of which remotely resembles my question.

It could be your internet provider blocking access...what ISP do you use ? Also could be your email provider blocking accces...what email provider do you use ?
Maybe a recent windows "update" broke something.

How is your email setup? Do you use an email client such as Outlook or Thunderbird or do you only use webmail accessed through your browser?

Or do you use the builtin Mail app that comes with W10? For clarity I have no experience with this program, but I expect it to be similar to other mail clients.

Is your email a domain based address or is it webmail such as gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc?

Not being able to send email can be an SMTP server issue although most email accounts (if using an email client) are IMAP now a days.

20 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

Win 10 is an OS. What email service do you use: Yahoo, Gmail, etc. 

Win 10 comes with a "Mail" app.

Never used it and of course it has to be configured for using a specific email provider.

Description in the OP is very vague.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:56 PM, tweedledee2 said:

Win 10 is an OS. What email service do you use: Yahoo, Gmail, etc. 

Yes, I know, but it has an email feature - a blue screen with a white envelope in the centre. I can write a mail but it stays in the out box with no visible means to send. My normal email is outlook which works ok. Many websites default to the windows 10 email when one clicks on "contact us".

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:18 PM, chrisinth said:

How is your email setup? Do you use an email client such as Outlook or Thunderbird or do you only use webmail accessed through your browser?

Or do you use the builtin Mail app that comes with W10? For clarity I have no experience with this program, but I expect it to be similar to other mail clients.

Is your email a domain based address or is it webmail such as gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc?

Not being able to send email can be an SMTP server issue although most email accounts (if using an email client) are IMAP now a days.

I normally use Outlook with no problems. I am often directed to W10 email by default when clicking on "contact us". I can write the mail but it remains in the outbox with no means of sending. I know about the SMTP issue but cannot see how to change it in W10.

1 hour ago, pennine said:

I normally use Outlook with no problems. I am often directed to W10 email by default when clicking on "contact us". I can write the mail but it remains in the outbox with no means of sending. I know about the SMTP issue but cannot see how to change it in W10.

If you use the email client Outlook (not an email address such as something like [email protected]) then I would set Outlook as the machine's default email client. To do this (IMO easiest way) hit Windows Key + i and this will open Settings. Select Apps and then Default Apps from the left column. Change the email selection to Outlook.

If after that emails are still being opened by the Window's Mail app, then you need to setup an account using that App. It looks like (and I may be seeing this all wrong) currently Mail (the built-in email) is set as default client and because you haven't got an account setup, there are no settings to direct the emails you are composing and that is the reason they sit in an outbox and aren't sent.

23 hours ago, pennine said:

Try by changing the port or disable the antivirus.
To Change Your Outlook SMTP Port Settings
In Microsoft Outlook 2010, click File, and then click Account Settings.
Select the account you want to change and click Change.
Click More Settings… and select the Advanced tab.
Next to Use the following type of encrypted connection, select SSL.
Next to Outgoing Server (SMTP), type 465. Click OK and click Next.
If those settings don’t work, repeat steps 1-3 and select None for Use the following type of encrypted connection. Try these other ports for Outgoing server (SMTP): 80, 3535, or 25.
Click OK and Next to see if the other ports will work.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:46 PM, Isaanbiker said:

Try by changing the port or disable the antivirus.
To Change Your Outlook SMTP Port Settings
In Microsoft Outlook 2010, click File, and then click Account Settings.
Select the account you want to change and click Change.
Click More Settings… and select the Advanced tab.
Next to Use the following type of encrypted connection, select SSL.
Next to Outgoing Server (SMTP), type 465. Click OK and click Next.
If those settings don’t work, repeat steps 1-3 and select None for Use the following type of encrypted connection. Try these other ports for Outgoing server (SMTP): 80, 3535, or 25.
Click OK and Next to see if the other ports will work.

Thank you for that detailed reply. I will try it.

Archived