Going to Vientiane, advice needed.

From previous good advice from ubonjoe I’ve decided not to use an agent to get an extension of stay  but go to Vientiane and get a multiple entry non-O visa based upon married to a Thai. Agents don’t put any money in your account so if immigration ever check, say when doing my 90 day report, I’m screwed. (I live in the district of Phetchabun so difficult to use Jomtien immigration for 90 day reporting. )

Having never even crossed a border in a car I need some advice. Whats the border crossing like ? Plus, is the Thai consulate easy to find ? are there easy to follow signs ?

Also, when I’ve applied I have to wait till the next day to pick up my passport. Is it ever possible to pick it up the same day ? (perhaps with the help of a little tea money ?)

If not the same day, would you recommend staying in a hotel in Laos or coming back into Thailand to wait ? Any recommended hotels let me know. If staying in Laos, do they accept Thai baht ?

Plus, Joe told me I can get an extra 60 days to visit my Thai wife (150 days), how do I apply for this as I cannot see it on the application form ?

Plus, ANY other advise would be appreciated.

Where to start....just couple of things. I assume you are aware that you need to make appointment with thai consulate in Vientiane.

You cannot do it in one day. You will remain overnight.

Most people don't take their car into Laos. There is a carpark at nong khai border.

You take bus for short trip over river. Then you have a choice of shared taxi or tuk tuk etc to consulate.

Numerous hotels in Vientiane. Any would be fine for a night.

There are numerous threads about Vientiane reports. Do a search and have a good read

Edited by DrJack54

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Where to start....just couple of things. I assume you are aware that you need to make appointment with thai consulate in Vientiane.

You cannot do it in one day. You will remain overnight.

Most people don't take their car into Laos. There is a carpark at nong khai border.

You take bus for short trip over river. Then you have a choice of shared taxi or tuk tuk etc to consulate.

Numerous hotels in Vientiane. Any would be fine for a night.

Thanks, just finished booking for July 1st.

Do the hotels in Vientiane take Baht ?

34 minutes ago, Carlosm said:

From previous good advice from ubonjoe I’ve decided not to use an agent to get an extension of stay  but go to Vientiane and get a multiple entry non-O visa based upon married to a Thai.

They won’t issue a multiple entry visa there; only a single entry.

You will have to go to Savannahket to get a multiple entry.

37 minutes ago, Carlosm said:

Also, when I’ve applied I have to wait till the next day to pick up my passport. Is it ever possible to pick it up the same day ? (perhaps with the help of a little tea money ?)

No. Whether you apply in Vientiane or Savannahket you apply day 1 and collect your passport day 2 (or Monday if applying on a Friday).

38 minutes ago, Carlosm said:

If not the same day, would you recommend staying in a hotel in Laos or coming back into Thailand to wait ? Any recommended hotels let me know. If staying in Laos, do they accept Thai baht ?

You need to stay overnight in Laos.

Yes you can pay for just about everything in baht.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Carlosm said:

Plus, Joe told me I can get an extra 60 days to visit my Thai wife (150 days), how do I apply for this as I cannot see it on the application form ?

When you enter with the visa you’ll be given a 90 day stay. Towards the end of that stay you need to go to your local immigration office and apply for the 60 day extension of stay.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

They won’t issue a multiple entry visa there; only a single entry.

You will have to go to Savannahket to get a multiple entry.

Are you sure ? it has multi entry on their web page and their application form.

12 minutes ago, Carlosm said:

Thanks, booked it so have to cancel.

Cannot find the booking form on the Savannahket web page, do you have a link please ?

You may wish to read current thread running about Savannahket. Has pics. Looks horrible. Perhaps OP went on bad day.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

You may wish to read current thread running about Savannahket. Has pics. Looks horrible. Perhaps OP went on bad day.

Yer, just seen it, ridiculous queue's, scared the sh1t out of me. If i can find a visa run service i'm going to use them.

42 minutes ago, Carlosm said:

Yer, just seen it, ridiculous queue's, scared the sh1t out of me. If i can find a visa run service i'm going to use them.

Never used one. My understanding is that they basically just minibus you there and back. Rest is up to you. 

15 minutes ago, Carlosm said:

Elviajero, sorry about how this looks but, open the Vientiane Consular web page :-

https://thaivisavientiane.com/

and open the download application link, The heading of the form is Vientiane Consular and at the bottom asks if you want multiple entries, guess it a mistake.

Just got this from ubonjoe - They only issued multiple entry visa to Laotians and legal residents there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carlosm said:

Thanks, booked it so have to cancel.

Rather than cancelling, just get the single entry visa. As someone else indicated, you can extend for 60 days at your local immigration office. They will not be curious about cash for the old extension of stay because this is a brand new visa and permission to stay. At the end of five months, you can decide what to do next.

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Rather than cancelling, just get the single entry visa. As someone else indicated, you can extend for 60 days at your local immigration office. They will not be curious about cash for the old extension of stay because this is a brand new visa and permission to stay. At the end of five months, you can decide what to do next.

Yer, i was thinking about that. The extra 60 days cost's the usual fee of 1,900 baht. Have to way my options up as i may have the funds in a couple of months.

• Like 1

Here is some advice. It will cost you a bit more but will save hassle and headaches.

Buy a return plane ticket and fly!

You can fly in early and go home the same day. Check the various airlines.

17 minutes ago, Cereal said:

Here is some advice. It will cost you a bit more but will save hassle and headaches.

Buy a return plane ticket and fly!

You can fly in early and go home the same day. Check the various airlines.

I don't know of a consulate that does it same day. Apply in morning AM. Pick up next day PM. Its even tricky by air to get it done in 2 days but possible.

Flying is out of the question.

Elviajero sent me a PM of a company in Bangkok that does trips to Savvanahket via Saraburi which is a short 50 baht bus ride from me. They help with the application, put you up in a hotel and feed you for a lot less than i could do it by driving myself. Takes the pressure off the long drive and unusual settings that comes with doing it yourself.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Carlosm said:

Thanks, just finished booking for July 1st.

Do the hotels in Vientiane take Baht ?

It's quite easy to get across the border yourself. 

Get some passport photos

Go through immigration. You then buy a bus ticket 20bht.

Get off the bus with everyone else. 

Get a Loas visa form. From the little window. Fill in. Hand back with the passport and photo and visa fee. 

Que up, a little  window will open giving you you passport with a 1 page visa sticker in. 

Whilst waiting you will be approached by taxi drivers. Negotiate and when you get you passport back. Walk through Loas immigration. And you are on your way. 

You can pay for everything with bhat there with change in Kip. 

It's very easy. 

If you wanted to drive. You can leave your car at a private car park. And then just walk to the border 500m.

If you want to take you car a cross you will need a car passport and notify you Insurance company. I haven't done it yet. 

Shaemus

• Thanks 1