Cordless Driver/Drill Recommendation please.

Formaleins

I am looking for a GOOD cordless drill / driver to replace my virtually useless Maktec MT070. Don't get me wrong, this is a good quality (Makita) machine, sadly let down by a terrible battery design and even worse support service.

I need a minimum of 10mm chuck, preferably 13mm, keyless.

I bought the Maktec a while back thinking it would be almost as good as my corded Makita tools, how wrong could I have been. After about 10 recharges, one of the two batteries went dead, the thing was no more than 2 months old. Contacted Makita and spoke with their head guy in Thailand. Told me they do not give a warranty on batteries here due to "Heat and Thai Culture" - Honestly, that is what they said - basically they also know Thais take care of nothing! Anyway after some toing and froing, they gave me a new battery. It isn't much better, runs down after about 15 minutes.

The keyless chuck is not centred and wobbles and cannot hold a drill bit securely.

So, anyone have any experience with a decent driver drill combo, let me know, if you actually own one all the better for the info. I am not interested in Maktec again, so that will include Makita unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Cheers - 

8 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

Dewalt 18v...about 5k baht on lazada, ..

cheers I will take a look, I thought De Walt had been taken over by that Hong Kong shower that produce the likes of Ryobi, Milwaukee etc. -TECHTRONIC -or something - they destroyed the quality of many brands.

Edited by Formaleins

I would certainly buy a separate drill and impact driver (same brand, same batteries). 

No swapping bits and the impact driver puts screws in with almost no torque feedback to your wrist, great as one gets older and/or puts in a lot of screws.

My De-Walt tools are lasting well with amateur but fairly heavy usage. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I would certainly buy a separate drill and impact driver (same brand, same batteries). 

No swapping bits and the impact driver puts screws in with almost no torque feedback to your wrist, great as one gets older and/or puts in a lot of screws.

My De-Walt tools are lasting well with amateur but fairly heavy usage. 

I funnily enough just go the plaster off my broken wrist today after a double fracture, 6 weeks of hell- so using the drills and tools fixing my roof has been hellish! The idea was to use the old Maktec to do the screws and a newer, better drill to do the drilling. It isn't a terrible drill, just lousy batteries. Any experience with Bosch?

Edited by Formaleins

3 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Any experience with Bosch?

Only a corded power saw which, after 10 years, has gone "lumpy" under load, I suspect it needs new brushes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Only a corded power saw which, after 10 years, has gone "lumpy" under load, I suspect it needs new brushes.

I was looking at their pro range but I tend to like to stick with what I know to work well, which is why I am really not that over the moon with Maktec / Makita. Their gear has never let me down over the years until this MT070E driver. It was not cheap, about 5K and they then go and welch on the warranty for the battery! In Australia and Europe they give up to 3 year warranty on the same battery, in Thailand, out of the box NO WARRANTY for the battery!

19 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

I funnily enough just go the plaster off my broken wrist today after a double fracture, 6 weeks of hell- so using the drills and tools fixing my roof has been hellish! The idea was to use the old Maktec to do the screws and a newer, better drill to do the drilling. It isn't a terrible drill, just lousy batteries. Any experience with Bosch?

Yes  cuts  out a  lot under  load gsr 18 driver, ok if  nothing too demanding.

• Like 1

I'm really happy with my Makita cordless. Had it 12-months, batteries still going strong, use it at least 2 - 3 times a week. Now I've said that it'll probably pack up tomorrow ????

Depends how you use and treat these type of tools IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The cheapest cordless drill I bought with a spare battery in Global house works great, I wouldn't bother with expensive name brands anymore a Toyota lasts just as long as a Merc in Thailand if you get my drift. 

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The cheapest cordless drill I bought with a spare battery in Global house works great, I wouldn't bother with expensive name brands anymore a Toyota lasts just as long as a Merc in Thailand if you get my drift. 

I understand where you are coming from but I have had some roof repairs recently and trust me, when you have to climb up onto a 30 foot high pitched roof with a broken arm in plaster, trying to stop roof tiles tools and yourself from sliding to your death off the roof, the last thing you need is the battery to cut out without warning, the keyless chuck to come loose and your drill bit to go spinning into oblivion or that little bastard magnetic driver bit to just drop out and go rolling down the roof. Seriously, it can bring you close to tears. It is a long way up and a long way down again climbing scaffolding up to my roof. I hoped that a decent brand would perform a bit better when needed.

On The Roof 2019.jpg

15 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Then why laugh at my Makita comment? My Mactech corded drill is crap, although it was cheap.....

+1 for the DeWalt. I bought one in NZ a few months before we moved here, simply because it was the only affordable one available in both countries. No problems so far.

I also have a 12V AEG that let the magic smoke escape just out of warranty. Made in China and the chuck wobbled, although that may have been my fault.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beddhist said:

+1 for the DeWalt. I bought one in NZ a few months before we moved here, simply because it was the only affordable one available in both countries. No problems so far.

I also have a 12V AEG that let the magic smoke escape just out of warranty. Made in China and the chuck wobbled, although that may have been my fault.

De Walt seems to be worth a look - I checked out Hilti, but the prices are way too high, over 20K for a reasonable model.

22 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

I hoped that a decent brand would perform a bit better when needed.

????  Well sorry to disappoint I'm not new to building works but my cheap cordless does work it's not supposed to, and the batteries last surprisingly long to me I'm impressed with such a cheap tool.

And I'm ganna plug the make here Bison.

8 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

De Walt seems to be worth a look - I checked out Hilti, but the prices are way too high, over 20K for a reasonable model.

the Dewalt models on Lazada are the lower versions, the better series begin with '9' and are brushless. i've bought copy dewalt ion batteries from aliexpress, i got a double charger with double USB ports and 2 x 6amp batteries for less than 1 x 5 amp genuine dewalt on lazada, i've not noticed any difference between them and the genuine one. 
if someone can either bring or send you it, you might be better off buying a bare tool from uk, us or oz and getting the batteries and charger from aliexpress, its free shipping too, saying that you might even find the replacement maktec there too.

if you were interested i have some 18v Genuine makita tools i'm going to sell as i've upgraded to all my kit to dewalt now, send me a PM if interested and i'll send you some details

impact drive
drill driver
hammer drill driver
5 batteries
circular saw

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, grollies said:

Then why laugh at my Makita comment? My Mactech corded drill is crap, although it was cheap.....

Makita is good at the right price, I was laughing the way you posted.

1 minute ago, harriott456 said:

the Dewalt models on Lazada are the lower versions, the better series begin with '9' and are brushless. i've bought copy dewalt ion batteries from aliexpress, i got a double charger with double USB ports and 2 x 6amp batteries for less than 1 x 5 amp genuine dewalt on lazada, i've not noticed any difference between them and the genuine one. 
if someone can either bring or send you it, you might be better off buying a bare tool from uk, us or oz and getting the batteries and charger from aliexpress, its free shipping too, saying that you might even find the replacement maktec there too.

if you were interested i have some 18v Genuine makita tools i'm going to sell as i've upgraded to all my kit to dewalt now, send me a PM if interested and i'll send you some details

impact drive
drill driver
hammer drill driver
5 batteries
circular saw

Thanks for confirming that - I noticed the model numbers were mainly "77" or "76" and looking on Google they are "78" or "79" The brushless motors look interesting, cheers!

4 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Thanks for confirming that - I noticed the model numbers were mainly "77" or "76" and looking on Google they are "78" or "79" The brushless motors look interesting, cheers!

those are still a lower range, 995, 996 are the better ones, have a look at this video, it might help you choose, some good info if you can spare half an hour

• Like 1

All my kit is Makita but bought over from U.K, couple at a time.. Never had any issues with them and have a few of the generic batteries (not Makita) that also last well.. I've used DeWalt on a lot of the boats I've worked on and they are just as good.. So do you prefer yellow or blue ??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, harriott456 said:

those are still a lower range, 995, 996 are the better ones, have a look at this video, it might help you choose, some good info if you can spare half an hour

Ha! I watched that 2 hours ago, terrible advertising, misleading

The OP might want to look at the current Milwaukee Tools sold in Thailand at very competitive prices at select tool shops. Prices on line might not reflect what I have paid for Milwaukee tools in Buriram. Milwaukee tool support and spare parts are far better than some brands I have bought in Thailand. I understand why professional home builders and professional race teams select Milwaukee Tools. 

Expo 2019 Milwaukee Tools Buriram.jpg

Buriram Stiebel Eltron Hot Water heater Milwaukee Tools.jpg

Buriram Milwaukee Cordless Plumbers Tool Delivery.jpg

Buriram Milwaukee Hole Dozer Tool Accessory.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I work in construction, have used the 15volt and 18v models, I drive three inch gutter screws and 1.5 inch # 10 self peircing  and drill holes, even masonry, all day everyday with it.  I have used milwaukee, Dewalt , bosch in the past, and either burned out, broke,  or threw off the roof ( that was the dewalt, I was feelin a little testy that day!) all of them.  For my money, the Milwaukee M18 18V 1/2-Inch Compact Brushless Hammer Drill from https://toolsduty.com/best-tap-die-set/  the is what I will buy again when the one I.m using now finally quits.

Edited by Caseinus