Farang Marriage - Bank Statement needed - Why?

*My fiancee and I are getting married in Bangkok next week - We're both farang, she has lived here for 3 years. 

We've used an agent for translating and documents etc, agent has informed me that I need to bring a Bank Statement for my UK bank account in case I am asked to show this at the amphur.

- Why would I need to provide this? I cant find any other mention of this for a farang marriage. Anyone know?

You do not need one. If they do ask for something like this just ask them to put it in writing, with an explanation of the reason why. Most of the time they amphur will back down.

You do need to give your income on the form that you are single from your embassy. 

I thought as much. I've been travelling for the previous 5 months so used my UK income from the job I took a sabbatical from. Only asked to provide past 3 months of statements, hopefully the agent asking me to do so is a 'just in case' scenario. Thanks for your reply ????

You obviously don't live here long enough because you still think there must be a logical reason.

Forget this concept better very fast.

There is no logic! You can't find logic which does not exist.

Your life will be a lot easier after you understand this important principle.

Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Preacher said:

You do not need one. If they do ask for something like this just ask them to put it in writing, with an explanation of the reason why. Most of the time they amphur will back down.

You do need to give your income on the form that you are single from your embassy. 

Yes, that's it - on the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry.

14 minutes ago, crickets said:

It may have changed, they have cracked down on marriage certificates because of Indians and Africans scamming it which has ruined it for everyone.

Doesn't apply when it involves two foreigners.

4 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

We're both farang,

I totally understand when Thai people call us Farang.

But when one foreigner calls another foreigner FARANG, I start to ask myself some serious questions. 

Probably just means they have been here a while. When in Rome!

I was asked my income when I got married which surprised me, even though I didn't need the embassy certificate of freedom to marry because I was a permanent resident. No verification was asked for.  I guess that Thais are also asked the same question. Maybe it is just so that the spouse is officially informed of your income and can change their mind after hearing that. There is also an option to list all of your assets on the marriage certificate. This has implications under Thai law, if you later get divorced, since you get to keep 100% of all assets owned before marriage and listing them out on the marriage certificate might help safeguard them.  I didn't bother as it seemed too complicated to list everything and it was getting close to closing time.  

Archived