Malaysia....too Good To Be True?!

With regards to the Thai government rolling towards xenophobia and all the 'supposed' people leaving in droves because of police checks, fingerprinting, immigration raids, incompetent and corrupt officials with upturned palms,, has anyone tried out the www.mm2h.com' 10 year visa?

Apparently, you need 300,000 ringgit (B3 million) in the bank which can be spent as long as it is on reasonable things (house, hospital, education, car....) and you are given a 10 yr visa with tax free incentives.

Is this too good to be true, or is Thailand too bad to be true!!! :o

Edited by Big A

Why don't you move there and give us a report a year or so. :D

TH

Now now!! No need to get ratty :o .

Just interested in other people's experiences in this scheme. Is it all it's cracked up to be or is this too good to be true?

TH

Just interested in other people's experiences in this scheme. Is it all it's cracked up to be or is this too good to be true?

Err.With all due respect etc .etc, Malaysia is an Islamic country.Thailand is a Buddhist country. Personally, I would not wish to live in an Islamic society with all it's restrictions etc.

Maybe that's why all the incentives to live there seem to be pretty good in comparison with Thailand.

As for me, I'll take the Kingdom over Malaysia anyday. Hope this helps. :D

Edited by ratcatcher

Look.....I asked a simple question about the Malaysian visa scheme.

I have been here for over 10 years. I KNOW Malaysia is an Islamic country and Thailand is a Buddhist kingdom!!

All I want is serious input or experiences to the mm2h scheme, not people telling me what they think!!.

I hope this is not too much to ask.

TH

Err.With all due respect etc .etc, Malaysia is an Islamic country.Thailand is a Buddhist country. Personally, I would not wish to live in an Islamic society with all it's restrictions etc.

actually WHICH restrictions are u referring to ?

as long as u r not a Muslim, there are NO restrictions whatsoever..... of course there is a LAW as is in every country..... but one thing for sure, they don't hassle foreigners there, as they LOVE to do in Thailand these days.

no, Malaysia is NOT a paradise and government-regulated racism does exist, but for the average foreigner, who does NOT need prostitutes every day and does NOT drink 10 bottles of beer every day (booze is expensive, except in the duty-free areas of Labuan and Langkawi), u will find everything u need (to make it clear, I do NOT think that everyone who lives in thailand needs that.... just wanted to point out that such kind of business does not openly exist in Malaysia).

and on the west-coast, the Malays are not the majority anyway. things are different at the east coast, though..... certainly not 100% the place where I wanted to reside...

still, one thing for sure, Thailand is "more fun" and thats why it is much more successfull in attracting foreigners, both tourists and wannabe-residents. and it will always be like that, no matter which nasty regulations the future Thai governments will invent....

yes, Malaysia DOES give u this 10 year Visa indeed.

I have friends who lived in Thailand for almost a decade. they are both 60+ now and moved to Malaysia (Sabah, Malaysian Borneo) 3 years ago. They are more than happy with their decision and wondered why they didnt do it earlier.....

but then, I don't give a d.a.m.n, choose whatever is suitable for you..... When I decided to move to Asia, I did choose Thailand, due to the fact that it was relatively easy to get those 1-year-multiple-VISA's. With my today's knowledge and the law of the year 2007, I certainly would not make the same decision again....

let's be happy that many of us have the opportunity to CHOOSE where they actually wanna reside..... most locals in Asia, be it Thailand or Malaysia, do NOT have a choice....

Edited by THAILIBAN

Look.....I asked a simple question about the Malaysian visa scheme.

I have been here for over 10 years. I KNOW Malaysia is an Islamic country and Thailand is a Buddhist kingdom!!

All I want is serious input or experiences to the mm2h scheme, not people telling me what they think!!.

I hope this is not too much to ask.

I like to think I read the signs correctly and I moved my Thai family lock stock and barrel to Malaysia after spending time arranging new employment in Malaysia .

the basic reasons were

Senior Thai Xenophobia , Seriously poor and expensive education , Better employment prospects.

I am no longer a Farang to be got rid off as soon as possible , better social development for my son & daughter , brand names, sex and peer group pressure different , food ,communications better , safer driving , great visa and tax incentives ....yes having been here 6 months it has all proved correct including unfortunately my negative predictions about Thailand and government .

It is an Islamic based country but very open, tolerant and a true melting pot a very good feel to it ( I have lived and worked 14 years in various Islamic Countries so I do have terms of reference ) Actually the social control imposed by the Islamic influence is exactly what my wife and I wanted for our teenage daughter and her exposure to too liberal views on teenage sex and the consumer pressures for phones Nikes and night clubs has been radically reduced and she has preserved for a little bit longer some childhood . She also has a far better view of education , the pressure is there to do well in school and she now actualy reads books as a pleasure activity with her friends. I would guess the present social development and freedom for kids and teenagers up to about 17 is about the same as UK 25 / 30 years ago . If only for that ,the move was a great sucess and worth it. What ever the government says is the incentive is true ,stable and well thought out and is part of a co herant policy of Malaysian development .

For the first time in ages I do not feel like a farang I am a person in my own right and I actually believe the police do a good job of protection here gaining my complaints for my speeding tickets but respect overall I never thoght I would be able to say that again .

Negatives less eye candy , food more expensive , housing expensive ..cars.... local made are cheaper than in Thailand ...Petrol 15% cheaper.

TH

Maybe that's why all the incentives to live there seem to be pretty good in comparison with Thailand.

why is it that people always go on about not wanting to live in Islamic countries, i have had great times living in some that are not as open as Malaysia. I would not hesitate to live in an Islamic country again (the exception being Saudi where i will not live - but that is not a reflection on the rest.) Stop believing what you see on TV.

^^^

That's one of my main concerns......if this mm2h package is that good

*10 year visa

*tax free incentives

*only B3m in the bank (which can be spent)

*no 90 days reporting

*no re-entry permits

*no hidden bullshit to extract every penny out of you

I am assuming it has not attracted such a huge interest as the mass exodus of farangs are supposedly either going back home or to other SE Asia countries (KH,VN).

Anyone else had hands-on experiences of the mm2h project? Like Thailiban above, I am seeking a secure future for my wife and I. I am not a whoremonger and a nightly Chang drinker (although I do like a wee snifter of a weekend!!). Nana and Patpong do not impress me. A secure future under a stable government does.

Regards

Big A

Edited by Big A

I'm assuming you have reviewed the web site for the programme http://www.mm2h.com ?

I've spoken to people there about this and am looking at it very seriously when time comes to 'retire'.

The idea of retiring into a country which gives you, at best, 364 days tenure, strikes me as unwise, so I can see Malaysia as a very interesting alternative with a stable government with a positive view of themselves and the wider world community. As to the 'Islamic' question, the reality is that the religion is part of life but that Malaysia has viewed itself as a melting pot of cultures for years and is a tolerant environment. Also find Kl a very 'entertaining' city, with clubs and a full nightlife.

Regards

PS Forgot to add that any form of work within Malaysia s prohibited by the scheme.

/edit PS //

Edited by A_Traveller

^^^

Richard

Thank you very much indeed for your input and view. Do you mind if I ask you,

*are you in KL or the provinces?

*is your wife Thai? If so, is she happy enough?

Once again, thanx.

Big A

My wife is Thai and we have lived in Thailand and other countries including Bangladesh we have property in Thailand in Rangsit .

We live and work in Penang where my wife is quite happy with many local and Thai friends mostly local & Indonesian ,Chinese ,so no issues there.

We can drive to the border to link to Thailand in 90 minutes , we drove our Thia car down from BKK it takes about 22 hours . Or we fly Air Asia direct . But we have been home once in 6 months basically to get the car .

Would your wife be happy ??? my wife loves to travel and be away from Thailand so may be I am lucky ,plus she is adventurous with food . Your wife I cannot comment ? .

My plan is to keep the property in Thailand for the moment then sell later ..we plan if all goes well to retire to Malaysia when I stop work, years yet I hope but I pay the max ( with tax benefit ) into the Employees Provident fund over 80,000 baht per month and the present yield is 5.1% with total security . We are also carefully looking for property to buy with a local Mortgage .

I'm assuming you have reviewed the web site for the programme http://www.mm2h.com ?

I've spoken to people there about this and am looking at it very seriously when time comes to 'retire'.

The idea of retiring into a country which gives you, at best, 364 days tenure, strikes me as unwise, so I can see Malaysia as a very interesting alternative with a stable government with a positive view of themselves and the wider world community. As to the 'Islamic' question, the reality is that the religion is part of life but that Malaysia has viewed itself as a melting pot of cultures for years and is a tolerant environment. Also find Kl a very 'entertaining' city, with clubs and a full nightlife.

Regards

PS Forgot to add that any form of work within Malaysia s prohibited by the scheme.

/edit PS //

The PS is not 100% correct but consider it as the basic rule .

TH

But u can have 4 wives !!!

TH

But 4 mothers-in-law :D

^^^

Richard

Once again, thanx.

Big A

My wife is Thai and we have lived in Thailand and other countries including Bangladesh we have property in Thailand in Rangsit .

We live and work in Penang where my wife is quite happy with many local and Thai friends mostly local & Indonesian ,Chinese ,so no issues there.

We can drive to the border to link to Thailand in 90 minutes , we drove our Thia car down from BKK it takes about 22 hours . Or we fly Air Asia direct . But we have been home once in 6 months basically to get the car .

Would your wife be happy ??? my wife loves to travel and be away from Thailand so may be I am lucky ,plus she is adventurous with food . Your wife I cannot comment ? .

My plan is to keep the property in Thailand for the moment then sell later ..we plan if all goes well to retire to Malaysia when I stop work, years yet I hope but I pay the max ( with tax benefit ) into the Employees Provident fund over 80,000 baht per month and the present yield is 5.1% with total security . We are also carefully looking for property to buy with a local Mortgage .

I read somewhere that you are entitled to buy or import one car taxfree, is that what you did ?

But, as far as I remember,they drive in the right side in Malaysia ??

North

TH

why is it that people always go on about not wanting to live in Islamic countries, i have had great times living in some that are not as open as Malaysia. I would not hesitate to live in an Islamic country again (the exception being Saudi where i will not live - but that is not a reflection on the rest.) Stop believing what you see on TV.

I don't believe what I read on TV, I lived in worked in Malaysia for over a year, with my Thai wife. It was not a hardship, but like I said, I will stay in Thailand.

Not sure I would limit my offlimits to Saudi, there are Islamic countries at least as bad and many worse.

TH

^^^

Richard

Once again, thanx.

Big A

I read somewhere that you are entitled to buy or import one car taxfree, is that what you did ?

But, as far as I remember,they drive in the right side in Malaysia ??

North

Actually they drive on the left and compared to Thailand driving manners are quite good ..in Thailand they drive on the left , middle , right , on the pavement following the MYWAY code .

The car we brought in on a temporary permit renewable on a 3 month cycle ..no probs for us we just drive out on a normal basis

Actually they drive on the left and compared to Thailand driving manners are quite good ..in Thailand they drive on the left , middle , right , on the pavement following the MYWAY code .

The car we brought in on a temporary permit renewable on a 3 month cycle ..no probs for us we just drive out on a normal basis

Sounds like you have only driven on the limited access roads in Malaysia, which are quite good. But on the 2 lane country hiways, manners are just like in Thailand, especially the bus and truck drivers. There are is also the usual quota of kamikaze types passing on hill, corners, and on shoulder. Oh, and when they catch you, Malaysian cops will take the bribe as well.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Malaysia and can see how the change from Thailand would be refreshing. Just as the our change several years from Malaysia to Thailand was refreshing. I also note your remarks on the strcitness and focus of the schools as probably very accurate.

TH

*Why don't you move there and give us a report a year or so.

TH

*Don't get me wrong, I liked Malaysia and can see how the change from Thailand would be refreshing

You see, Thaihome, a little civility goes a long way!!

Sounds like you have only driven on the limited access roads in Malaysia, which are quite good. But on the 2 lane country hiways, manners are just like in Thailand, especially the bus and truck drivers. There are is also the usual quota of kamikaze types passing on hill, corners, and on shoulder. Oh, and when they catch you, Malaysian cops will take the bribe as well.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Malaysia and can see how the change from Thailand would be refreshing. Just as the our change several years from Malaysia to Thailand was refreshing. I also note your remarks on the strcitness and focus of the schools as probably very accurate.

TH

In reply to your points ..I have driven about 40,000 kilometers in the last 6 months I live in Penang and work both in Penang and near to( 7 hour drive) Johor ..in a relatively small town that means a lot of small road driving as well as highways ..a very similar situation to my driving in Thailand Bkk and Roi et so comparisons are reasonable ,I have driven in many countries and actually my hobby is passing and collecting driving permits in each country , I have in my collection , UK , Thai , Bangladeshi , Korean , Moroccan, Malaysian , plus a special Egyptian permit ..but I cannot find that one now . I repeat driving standards are considerably better than Thailand , every Thai person I have spoken to in Malaysia has commented that they wished the driving standards in Thailand were as good as found in Malaysia. Yes there are fools all over but et least when you turn off the main road in Malaysia you are not confronted by 20 temporary Thais driving their Hondas flat out with no lights /no helmet on the wrong side of the road after many Changs .

If you wish to see the difference in a nut shell just stand at the border crossing in less than half a kilometer you have correctly signed ,well maintained good highway in Malaysia and the Thai side is scruffy and chaotic ,and reminds me of a seedy smugglers outpost ( which it probably is ) By the way what ever the look , it is more relaxed and in away fun, I love the Thai people and the basic Thai way of life ...but present society / human rights ( mine ) and governmental trends have too many negatives . I am not a moaner or winger just my personal observations and thoughts ...which by the way are not a bar stool pundits view I have and always will put my money where my mouth is and actually do it .. I moved for a life style change not just voice an opinion and do nothing .

TH

4 wives only if you are Muslim :D

There are many positives about Malaysia, but the "attitude" is certainly the biggest difference between the two countries. Malaysia is certainly more foreigner friendly, and by large you integrate more widely with different nationalities and cultures. English is widely spoken, and well. I grew up there and have been back many times. These are all positives, but, but somehow Thailand appeals to me much much more. The Thai pride, (or indifference to foreigners) appeals to me much more. The total quirky-ness of the country and its people is somehow much more interesting, (although sometimes infuriating). The individuality is much more fun. Malaysia isn't as sterile as Singapore, but there's a hint of it, especially where religion is brought into the mix. I think there's also still a hint of resentment about its colonial past. Thailand has a deep culture, almost mystical, whereas Malaysia is trying to be all things to all men, the so-called "cultural melting pot". I think if you like stabilty, a better sense of law and order, less of a language barrier etc, Malaysia is for you.

If you wish to see the difference in a nut shell just stand at the border crossing in less than half a kilometer you have correctly signed ,well maintained good highway in Malaysia and the Thai side is scruffy and chaotic ,and reminds me of a seedy smugglers outpost ( which it probably is ) By the way what ever the look , it is more relaxed and in away fun, I love the Thai people and the basic Thai way of life ...but present society / human rights ( mine ) and governmental trends have too many negatives . I am not a moaner or winger just my personal observations and thoughts ...which by the way are not a bar stool pundits view I have and always will put my money where my mouth is and actually do it .. I moved for a life style change not just voice an opinion and do nothing .

I was a passenger from Penang to Hat Yai once.

On the MY side, people put putting along on their bikes very slowly, all wearing proper helmets. Proper highways

One kilometre into Thailand (on a provincial road) a bunch of teenagers, racing their bikes, sans helment at about 100km/h. One kid actually tried 'surfing' while going that fast.

Night and day in some respects.

There are many positives about Malaysia, but the "attitude" is certainly the biggest difference between the two countries. Malaysia is certainly more foreigner friendly, and by large you integrate more widely with different nationalities and cultures. English is widely spoken, and well. I grew up there and have been back many times. These are all positives, but, but somehow Thailand appeals to me much much more. The Thai pride, (or indifference to foreigners) appeals to me much more. The total quirky-ness of the country and its people is somehow much more interesting, (although sometimes infuriating). The individuality is much more fun. Malaysia isn't as sterile as Singapore, but there's a hint of it, especially where religion is brought into the mix. I think there's also still a hint of resentment about its colonial past. Thailand has a deep culture, almost mystical, whereas Malaysia is trying to be all things to all men, the so-called "cultural melting pot". I think if you like stabilty, a better sense of law and order, less of a language barrier etc, Malaysia is for you.

A reasonable summation and one I can echo. In UK terms, Worthing could be to Brighton what Malaysia may be to Thailand.

My recent experience of Malaysia has been limited to regular trips to Penang not necessarily just to resolve visa issues but also to enjoy the change of pace the island offers. In essence, one is rarely surprised by anything there and a peaceful predictablility prevails that is both comforting and restful. However, usually after a week or so, I find the ambience just a tad tedious and eventually I yearn to be back in Thailand not least for its maddening stupidity and general irrationality.

Although Malaysia is portrayed as a multicultural society it is definitely nowhere near a homogenized state. The ethnic groups co-exist out of necessity and not out of any cultural altruism. The Malays protected by the Bumiputra laws populate the organs of state to the exclusion of the Indian and Chinese communities who have to settle for those commercial sectors which traditionally have fallen to be their lot. Resentment at the status quo is low key and rarely expressed except privately. Rocking the boat is not considered to be in anyone's interests and in case one is tempted to challenge the State then there is the draconian law which allows unlimited detention without charge to consider. Apparently, there are currently 1000 such prisoners who languish at the whim of the security forces. Not surprisingly, corruption is endemic at state and national levels and inevitably incompetence and waste ensues. Unlike Thailand, the Malaysians have no free press and the extent of the graft is never explored.

However, stability is a spin off and since the Malays have supremacy in all things they are not so defensive about falang taking residence provided that they are of the right sort of course.

A reasonable retirement might comprise residence in Penang with unlimited forays into Thailand facilitated by the excellent communications. Best of both worlds perhaps?

HI

I'm a woman, 45 and can still turn heads with minimal preparation.

I'm living in Thailand where I haven't had a date in over a year because all the foreign men are here for.. well you know. Can't and don't want to compete with that.

As for Thai men, they seem to be totally sexist and /or chronic alcoholics.

Question:. Is Malaysia any different? I've read the local women whom are mainly muslim are strictly off- limits to foreigners . So would I have an easier time finding suitable men?

I'm thinking of Penang as I like to be near the sea