Dog friendly condos in Chiang Mai?

Jwraith

I'm new to the forum and I apologize if there is a separate section dedicated to asking about pet friendly condos. I'm aware of the Flora House being pet friendly but has anyone had experience getting a slightly nicer condo with a dog? Perhaps if I offer a pet deposit? My dog weighs about 13kg or 30lbs; he isn't small but he's definitely not a large dog like a husky or labrador. I understand that dogs are widely not accepted in condos but for the price of a townhouse rental I could get a 2 or 3 bedroom with facilities. I was just hoping if maybe there was a "hush hush, pay a pet deposit or higher rent" or if it is flat out "absolutely not, get out of my face". I've watched several YouTube videos of expats in Thailand doing apartment tours where I could hear barking in corridors, that's why I had hope. This is a huge deal for me and my dog as I will have to find him a new home if I cannot bring him to Chiang Mai. Any help would mean the world thank you.

You've posted in the right place. Don't be discouraged by the lack of response since it is the middle of the night in Chiang Mai. I suspect you might have more luck in the older condo buildings or renting a townhouse from a private owner. As a dog lover I hope you are able to keep your dog.

9 hours ago, Jwraith said:

I was just hoping if maybe there was a "hush hush, pay a pet deposit or higher rent"

I think your problem with that is most condos have an owners association

The rules are designed by them

The management that staffs any front office at the condo including the manager are really just employees of the collective ownership

Good luck but I think your going to find it easier to rent a home than a condo.

The condo we owned eventually banned all dogs.

At first they tried to limit to smaller sizes but even that eventually was disallowed due to

barking echoing in atrium & also irresponsible owners not picking up droppings in parking areas etc

The only exception they made was if an owner who had a dog already before rules came into force.

14 hours ago, Jwraith said:

but for the price of a townhouse rental I could get a 2 or 3 bedroom with facilities

I think you are probably mistaken there. There is a huge selection of town houses available for rent in Chiang Mai, some very cheaply because of an over supply in the market place. Condos with more than one bedroom on the other hand are uncommon and command a premium. This does not necessarily apply if you are dealing with a real estate agent. They try to charge top dollar for everything. You need to deal direct with owners and to do that you need to look on Facebook groups and also get on your feet and walk round the areas you would like to live, looking for to let signs. You will find many.

I am assuming you are not already in Chiang Mai. Ordinarily, I would suggest staying in a hotel for a time while you look for a place. Having a dog makes that difficult. Can you book a condo in Flora House for a month and use that time to find somewhere better?

What's wrong with Flora? They have decent 2 bedroom places that are 150sq mts up to double story penthouses that are closer to 350 - plenty of room for the pooch - and the grounds are likely as good as you'll find.

Rimping Condo allow dogs but they don't have the grounds Flora does but it is on the river which has plenty of room to exercise the hound. Expect rents to start around 22,000 for 90sq mtr if available.

On 6/9/2019 at 9:37 PM, CMoldie said:

I think you are probably mistaken there. There is a huge selection of town houses available for rent in Chiang Mai, some very cheaply because of an over supply in the market place. Condos with more than one bedroom on the other hand are uncommon and command a premium. This does not necessarily apply if you are dealing with a real estate agent. They try to charge top dollar for everything. You need to deal direct with owners and to do that you need to look on Facebook groups and also get on your feet and walk round the areas you would like to live, looking for to let signs. You will find many.

I am assuming you are not already in Chiang Mai. Ordinarily, I would suggest staying in a hotel for a time while you look for a place. Having a dog makes that difficult. Can you book a condo in Flora House for a month and use that time to find somewhere better?

Thank you so much for the reply! Correct, I arrive in Chiang Mai tomorrow evening without my dog. I'm originally from the U.S, and my dog is currently in South Korea with me (my mother lives here). I was hoping to find a place for us, then fly back to Korea to get my dog and bring him back. I appreciate the advice about not dealing with agents and going direct to owners. My plan is to arrive into a hotel, check out Flora House, Rimping as the person above suggested, and then look at some of the townhomes. Do you have a recommendation on where I should book a hotel when I first arrive to make it easier on me to walk around? Is Nimman a pretty safe bet to start with as the central location to begin my walking search? Lastly, which part of Chiang Mai would you say has the highest population of expats? Not necessarily tourists, backpackers, or digital nomads, but where most westerners tend to be actually living?

Nimman is as good a place as anywhere, but a bit expensive. It also depends upon your budget. I am not the best person to ask about hotels, because I live here and have not stayed in a Chiang Mai Hotel for 7 years.

People who live here full time tend to be more widely dispersed than tourists. As well as the Nimman area, try the areas covered by Sirimanjalakarn sois 1-11, the Santitham subdistrict of Chang Puak Districe and the area behind Wat Jed Yod. All have good town houses to rent if you look for them. These are just the places I know. There are many others.

Do you speak any Thai? If you can't, you may find it difficult to negotiate with some owners.

Look at several places, to get a fell for the market price. Do not pay more than 1 month deposit, plus 1 month rent in advance. Be careful about signing a contract where you pay more than the government rates for electricity and/or water, rather than paying those bills direct. Be upfront about the dog. If you try to sneak it in it can be used as an excuse to throw you out and keep your deposit.

Something “slightly nicer” than Flora House?

Those are fightin’ words, amigo!

Kidding aside, Flora House is a hidden gem.  Check out the long-term apartments behind the lovely hotel.  

Some long-term folks actually choose to live in the hotel (slightly more upscale), while most others prefer the larger, ground floor apartments located behind the main property.  The landscaped walkways are perfect for walking your pup on-leash.

I can only speak for myself, but I can’t imagine needing something “nicer” than Flora House’s offerings, except for a swimming pool.

But to each his/her own...

Archived