UK not paying Brexit bill would be debt default, French source says

webfact

1 hour ago, aright said:

You mean like Germany not paying the agreed 2% of GDP to fund NATO?

Nono , more funny things more directed to the defaulting country ….????

3 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

That would be an issue the NATO would have to solve with Germany, no? 

If NATO is to continue to exist It needs to be resolved with the USA, the major contributor, and those member states who are paying the agreed 2% of GDP and the possible future lives of their military personnel...……….Freeloaders should be ashamed.

Since Donald Trump became President of the US, Washington has put increased pressure on NATO allies to up their military spending.

Trump’s Vice President Mike Pence warned on a recent visit to Munich that “the promise to share the burden of our defence has gone unfulfilled for too many, for too long and it erodes the very foundation of our alliance."

NATO members pledged in 2014 to spend 2 percent of the GDP on defence by the year 2024, but currently only five members of the 28-member alliance meet this target.

https://www.thelocal.de/20170301/this-is-how-much-german-military-spending-has-grown-over-time

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, aright said:

If NATO is to continue to exist It needs to be resolved with the USA, the major contributor, and those member states who are paying the agreed 2% of GDP and the possible future lives of their military personnel...……….Freeloaders should be ashamed.

Since Donald Trump became President of the US, Washington has put increased pressure on NATO allies to up their military spending.

Trump’s Vice President Mike Pence warned on a recent visit to Munich that “the promise to share the burden of our defence has gone unfulfilled for too many, for too long and it erodes the very foundation of our alliance."

NATO members pledged in 2014 to spend 2 percent of the GDP on defence by the year 2024, but currently only five members of the 28-member alliance meet this target.

https://www.thelocal.de/20170301/this-is-how-much-german-military-spending-has-grown-over-time

Wrong thread?

3 minutes ago, aright said:

I will have one more, last attempt at making it simpler  for you

No where have I said we shouldn't pay however I do sympathise with the don't pay argument.

Like saying don't be a hypocrite to member states who complain about the possibility the UK won't pay severance when 22 of them don't pay and haven't paid for donkeys years the agreed 2% GDP dues for NATO.

It seems member states are happy not to pay there dues but would expect the USA, UK and France to do the right thing and protect them if nudged or shoved. Comparing the 2 situations, goose and gander come to mind. 

I see no attempt on your part to criticise members for not paying their NATO dues so assume you are as au fait with that situation as much as I am understanding of no payment views. 

Hope this helps....off for a pint of Grimbergen.

Why would I criticize anyone for not paying their bills? When two parties A and B have a bill to settle then that’s their business alone. I just find it very creative to believe that the fact that parties C and D also might have a bill to settle would make any difference. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No deal crashing out means also ....no transition period ...and ... no implementation period if the wit drawl agreement is not signed ...

So if I understand this correct , a clean cut on 31 October midnight ,U.K. becoming a third country with no trade deals or no other  agreements …? So what is still agreed...? As it seems all is so to become blowing up 

Edited by david555

12 hours ago, aright said:

It's even more creative to accuse the UK of not paying their bills when nothing has been finalised yet (saying you won't do something puts a quid pro quo card up your sleeve) nor will it until a new PM is in post.  Saying you won't pay your bills is a negotiating position not a finality. You have obviously done very little negotiating.

If I’m not mistaken, no one accused the UK of not paying their bills; it is Brexiteers threatening to do so. 

If not paying your bills is a “negotiating position” for you then go ahead with it. I believe it wouldn’t be the first time that Brexiteers heavily overestimated their negotiation power and shot themselves in the foot. 

As always the EU's interests are much more important to you than the UK's and you tend to hang your hat on anything which might show the UK in a bad light albeit speculation. 

When Brexiteers threaten to refuse honoring financial obligations, then they are the ones showing themselves in bad light. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

The divorce settled does not count as we will have walked away from the EU, technically we have become estranged, and to make matters worse

Another genius move from the Brexiteer playbook. That surely will work out. ???? 

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

we have been seeing the US behind your backs.

Brexiteers and Donald Dumb certainly would make a dream team! ???? 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Loiner said:

There are no 'obligations' from a club we are leaving. Your 39Bn or more is the equivalent of the Italian tourist spot ice cream scams. Total rip off at an inflated price.

I’m afraid the EU doesn’t agree, so unless you wanna hide on your island behind all your stockpiled food and the lorries waiting at Dover, your threat will not work ???? 

• Thanks 2