Best Monthly Cell Phone Plan?

Thomas J

I don't know why but it seems that the cell phone carriers want to completely obscure what plans they offer.  What is your advice on the best company to use for monthly cell phone usage.  I am a retiree in Thailand.  Can be a paid monthly or for that matter a paid annual plan.  Use phone for calls only sparingly but do use for internet but have internet at my home here so most usage will be at home. 

I'm using Line mobile (on DTAC network, but subscription only available online through the Line app). 179 Baht a month, 5GB high speed internet, and unlimited low speed internet, 150 minutes call a month to any network, and unlimited SMS. What I like is that I can decide when I want high speed or low speed internet. Example, when downloading or updating apps, I set the speed to "free" and I'm not using my 5GB high speed allocation. If I want to watch YouTube, I set the speed to "full speed" and use a few mega from the 5GB monthly allocation. Many other plans available (example for 279 Baht you have 20GB full speed and 300 minutes free call a month). Last bonus, if a friend refers you to the program, you get 10 Baht discount every month. And every time you refer a friend, you also get 10 Baht discount every month. So, if you refer 18 friends, you don't pay anything anymore. I'm currently paying 140 Baht a month, only! ???? Oh and by the way, I kept my old number while moving to them...

43 minutes ago, kiaora1968 said:

I'm using Line mobile (on DTAC network, but subscription only available online through the Line app). 179 Baht a month, 5GB high speed internet, and unlimited low speed internet, 150 minutes call a month to any network, and unlimited SMS. What I like is that I can decide when I want high speed or low speed internet. Example, when downloading or updating apps, I set the speed to "free" and I'm not using my 5GB high speed allocation. If I want to watch YouTube, I set the speed to "full speed" and use a few mega from the 5GB monthly allocation. Many other plans available (example for 279 Baht you have 20GB full speed and 300 minutes free call a month). Last bonus, if a friend refers you to the program, you get 10 Baht discount every month. And every time you refer a friend, you also get 10 Baht discount every month. So, if you refer 18 friends, you don't pay anything anymore. I'm currently paying 140 Baht a month, only! ???? Oh and by the way, I kept my old number while moving to them...

But DTAC mostly is overloaded and thus slow. I have experiences with DTAC both in Bangkok and upcountry (my wife was with them) and while I had high speed internet and good network with AIS, she was often left without. Now, we’re an all-AIS family.

3 hours ago, bbz404 said:

But DTAC mostly is overloaded and thus slow. I have experiences with DTAC both in Bangkok and upcountry (my wife was with them) and while I had high speed internet and good network with AIS, she was often left without. Now, we’re an all-AIS family.

Right and wrong of course. I manage to get around 50mbps most of the day where I stay. And yes, at some locations, the speed is more like 3-5bmbps. I believe it is a great option for price conscious customers. If you are favouring speed above all, then of course there might be better networks. I just need network access all the time, for Line, WhatsApp, Google maps... It's a bargain for me. Maybe not for all...

Archived