Who Should Pay For Hospital Bill?

JITZARM

A FRIEND OF MINES SON ( 4 YEARS ) WAS PLAYING WITH ANOTHER BOY ( 5 YEARS ) AND THE 5 YEAR OLD BOY GOT HURT, BROKE HIS ARM AND HOSPITAL OPERATED. THE BILL CAME TO 50,000 BAHT AND MY FRIEND PAID 40,000 OF THE BILL BECAUSE THE WOMAN SAID IT WAS HIS SON'S FAULT. NOW SHE IS HARASSING HIM FOR ANOTHER 100,000 BAHT BECAUSE SHE SAYS HER SON WILL NEED ANOTHER OPERATION AND HE MUST PAY. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF CHILDREN PLAYING, ONE GETTING HURT AND THE OTHER HAS TO PAY FOR IT. MY FRIEND DOESN'T HAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY AND THE WOMAN IS THREATENING TO GO TO THE POLICE EVEN THOUGH THERE WAS NO PROOF OF HOW THE BOY EVEN GOT HURT. NEITHER PARTIES CONCERNED IS THAI. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT MY FRIEND SHOULD DO?

You don't explain what the circumstances were, i.e. on what basis is this woman saying it was the other child's fault? This does make some difference. Ethically, it's one thing if the injury was simply the result of mutual play and another if it clearly resulted from one child doing something to the child (for example, if he pushed him out of a tree or window).

If they are foreigners living in Thailand then probably neither has any particular influence with the local police and they (the police) are unlikely to take much interest, especially since the parents failed to press charges immediately after the incident.

A FRIEND OF MINES SON ( 4 YEARS ) WAS PLAYING WITH ANOTHER BOY ( 5 YEARS ) AND THE 5 YEAR OLD BOY GOT HURT, BROKE HIS ARM AND HOSPITAL OPERATED. THE BILL CAME TO 50,000 BAHT AND MY FRIEND PAID 40,000 OF THE BILL BECAUSE THE WOMAN SAID IT WAS HIS SON'S FAULT. NOW SHE IS HARASSING HIM FOR ANOTHER 100,000 BAHT BECAUSE SHE SAYS HER SON WILL NEED ANOTHER OPERATION AND HE MUST PAY. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF CHILDREN PLAYING, ONE GETTING HURT AND THE OTHER HAS TO PAY FOR IT. MY FRIEND DOESN'T HAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY AND THE WOMAN IS THREATENING TO GO TO THE POLICE EVEN THOUGH THERE WAS NO PROOF OF HOW THE BOY EVEN GOT HURT. NEITHER PARTIES CONCERNED IS THAI. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT MY FRIEND SHOULD DO?

THE BOYS WERE PLAYING TOGETHER AND NO ONE SEEN WHAT HAPPENED. MY FRIENDS BOYS CAME RUNNING TO HIS PARENTS AND THE OTHER BOY WAS CRYING, WHEN ASKED WHAT HAPPENED NEITHER BOY SAID ANYTHING. THE BOY THAT WAS HURT IS KOREAN AND I WOULD THINK THEY HAVE INSURANCE BUT THE OTHER IS AFRICAN AND HAS NO INSURANCE AT ALL.

I THINK THE KOREAN IS JUST TRYING TO GET MONEY OFF OF THEM BECAUSE NOW SHE THINK MY FRIENDS HAVE A LAWYER AND SHE IS CALLING THEM FOR 20,000 BAHT NOW.

You don't explain what the circumstances were, i.e. on what basis is this woman saying it was the other child's fault? This does make some difference. Ethically, it's one thing if the injury was simply the result of mutual play and another if it clearly resulted from one child doing something to the child (for example, if he pushed him out of a tree or window).

If they are foreigners living in Thailand then probably neither has any particular influence with the local police and they (the police) are unlikely to take much interest, especially since the parents failed to press charges immediately after the incident.

I THINK THEY WERE AT THE BANG NA CENTRAL MALL. NO WINDOW OR TREE.

Did the accident happen in Thailand?

I am a bit unsure about westerners having insurance. Our car house and health are insured, but we are not insured against accidents :o . Hope our girls can keep out of trouble, we couldn't afford the money your friend has shelled out.

PS could you take the caps lock off your keyboard

I THINK THEY WERE AT THE BANG NA CENTRAL MALL. NO WINDOW OR TREE.

SORRY, THEY WERE AT THE PLAYGROUND IN THE APARTMENT BUILDING, MANY CHILDREN BUT NO ONE SEEN WHAT HAPPEN.

Sorry to say this but your friend must be very gullible if he paid 40k because "THE WOMAN SAID IT WAS HIS SON'S FAULT". Did he see the bill ? Why did he pay 40k out of 50k ? Was it only 80% his son's fault ? Or he could only afford 40 out of 50 after some "negotiation" ? Without knowing the facts it's hard to give any advice.

What kind of broken arm injury costs 150,000 baht in thailand ? Did they take him to bumrungrad ?

And yeah, who was supervising them ?

Sorry, my post seemed to have crossed over with yours. It does seem a rather perplexing tale. Most children would give a kidney to tell tales on other children. ARe you sure you have the whole story.

Or even that this tale is true :o

Sorry to say this but your friend must be very gullible if he paid 40k because "THE WOMAN SAID IT WAS HIS SON'S FAULT". Did he see the bill ? Why did he pay 40k out of 50k ? Was it only 80% his son's fault ? Or he could only afford 40 out of 50 after some "negotiation" ? Without knowing the facts it's hard to give any advice.

What kind of broken arm injury costs 150,000 baht in thailand ? Did they take him to bumrungrad ?

And yeah, who was supervising them ?

I think she could only come up with 40k and the woman is still asking for the other 10k. The boy was operated on and that's why the bill was so much. Now the woman said they were going to operate again which would be another 50k, and also compensation like they already paid for piano lessons for the son and they would lose that money, then there is therapy, etc. And yes, I think they are fools for paying in the first place but they felt so bad for the boy and they didn't know what to do.

Sorry, my post seemed to have crossed over with yours. It does seem a rather perplexing tale. Most children would give a kidney to tell tales on other children. ARe you sure you have the whole story.

Or even that this tale is true :o

Yes, I spoke with the Korean mother to ask her what she wanted and why. Her english wasn't good and asked me to call someone to explain. Though presumably it was supposed to be her lawyer, another Korean woman but she would only tell me what the 100k was for. I tried to tell my friend to tell her no more and that they shouldn't have paid in the first place. My friend also signed a pare saying she would pay for the bills but didn't know what she was signing at the time.

My friend also signed a pare saying she would pay for the bills but didn't know what she was signing at the time.

I'm sorry, but is your friend stupid or something ? The whole thing sounds completely bizzare.

The next step is to find out exactly what he/she signed.

Edited by sonicdragon

Where did this happen? Who was supervising the kids?

Happened at the woman's apartment building in the playground. Nobody was watching them.

So they were at the appartment building of the women who's son got hurt? And she left them playing in the playground unattended?

If so your friend is foolish for parting with the 40,000. And certainly should not be foolish enough to hand over another 100,000.

One born everyday i guess.

this sounds like a made up story. Don't feed it.

I don’t know. I have a problem with my eyes: they cannot read posts that are all in capital letters. Already for this reason, the original post is not worth replying to, in my opinion.

--

Maestro

Jitzarm, Get the woman in question to send me a PM in Korean if you like, I am in Korea right now and have many friends, I will get it translated and perhaps we will find some truth.

Other than that, tell your Korean friend to sue the apartment owners for providing play equipment that can cause injury...

Sh1t happens, to pay 40k bht for this is a con IMHO.

Jitzarm, Get the woman in question to send me a PM in Korean if you like, I am in Korea right now and have many friends, I will get it translated and perhaps we will find some truth.

Other than that, tell your Korean friend to sue the apartment owners for providing play equipment that can cause injury...

Sh1t happens, to pay 40k bht for this is a con IMHO.

Thanks, I will do that if the woman keeps calling my friend. I already told my friend not to talk with the Korean woman anymore when she calls, to just tell her she has a lawyer now and he will handle it. I think she shouldn't bother them anymore but just in case at least now there are options.

In Thailand, it's my impression that these things can get really murky and nasty if they drag out. The instinct to get the lawyer was correct, but should have happened upon the first payment (of which I hope they kept a receipt). A waiver of liability should have then been signed contingent on the payment, and the episode would be over. As it happens, I think they'll have to make another payment to get the waiver signed- either that, or play a dangerous game of brinksmanship.