Thai Interior Ministry Upgrades Alert In Cities, Provinces

george

Thai Interior ministry upgrades alert in cities, provinces

BANGKOK: -- Interior Minister Aree Wong-araya on Monday conceded he had instructed city and provincial governors countrywide to increase security measures at key destinations for the time being to prevent 'untoward and undesirable' incidents.

Commenting on a planned rally by the so-called anti-coup confederation group at Bangkok's Sanam Luang on March 17, he said officials could not do anything but to allow the group to do that.

However, he believed the rally would neither ignite conflicts nor escalate into violence.

Regarding threats to cause disturbances in Bangkok Tuesday, Mr. Aree said it is a duty of all parties to be alert and vigilant.

He added that city and provincial governors nationwide had been instructed to increase securities measures at key destinations and coordinate efforts with police to prevent untoward and undesirable incidents.

On the remark by the Council for National Security (CNS) chairman Gen. Sondhi Boonyaratkalin that His Majesty the King was concerned with the safety and well-being of all people in the deep South, he said, the ministry had moved ahead with a programme to improve the quality of life for people there.

At the same time, the Internal Security Operations Command will step up efforts to conduct security and suppression tasks and boost coordination of all parties concerned in security affairs.

--TNA 2007-03-12

Yesterday, I returned to BKK by bus from Hua Hin. I was quite surprised at the number of police that were out and about on the streets. There were a couple of places where they were stopping vehicles, but most of the police were just situated here and there and were quite obvious.

I am a little confused...Is this the same Thai government that, just last week, criticized the Australian government for issuing a travel advisory to their citizens?

So it's OK for the Thai government to issue for Thai citizens, but foreign governments should not issue such warnings...

I am a little confused...Is this the same Thai government that, just last week, criticized the Australian government for issuing a travel advisory to their citizens?

So it's OK for the Thai government to issue for Thai citizens, but foreign governments should not issue such warnings...

Now we know why the Australian Govt gave the new warning. More Warnings to come.

Cheers Tony