New rate; 400 baht

This morning, the wife came in from a trip.

She drove her sister's pick-up to our local town; to sell some rice. On the way she joined a queue of traffic that was being stopped by the police. The wife, and sister, both had their seat-belts fastened and she passed her test last year. Asked to pull over all the same. However, upon inspection, a BInB, insisted that the rear lights had mud on them and were dangerous. They were sent to the office; a raod-side, fold-away table with a big umbrella keeping the sun/rain off the boss. A discussion then took place. The sisters stood their ground and said that they would not pay the fine of 400 baht.

Mrs Owl, when she was stopped, reckons there were 10 people waiting to pay their fines (for any number of reasons) and she didn't notice one getting a receipt for their crimes. All seemed to be handing over 400 baht. All-in-all, she thought over 50 drivers had been pulled over just while she was at the road-block.

After about 15 minutes a policeman asked them to move their pick-up along. One saw that they were taking snaps with their mobiles. They moved the pick-up and kept on moving; to town. On the way back - some 60 minutes later - the BinB team had gone. A couple of people in our village had been caught out, and paid their fine of 400 baht.

The last time I was fined (for having a brake-light out), it cost me 200 baht. So, is the new blanket fine now 400 baht? And no receipt, unless the person insists (but not generally a wise move I'm told).

These appear to be hit-and-move traffic police. Just where to they get their authority from for this kind of action? Or don't they need it? I thought indiscriminate set-ups had been curtailed by Cha cha.

If there are any repercussions to the sisters just 'driving off' I'll post.

SN850415.thumb.JPG.6dce3d059bc5c2184e3254b05e68dc9b.JPGJust a couple of points!

Thais, especially village Thais, do not generally argue with police. And we farang can enter into dubious territory if we do.

I was pulled over some years ago for having halogen lights attached to my pick-up. I argued that I was not breaking any law, and was told that if wanted to voice my plea at the police station I should go now and he (road-side boss) would be along at 16-00. This was in Udon Thani at 11-00 morning. I had to pay my fine first however.

Just paid and went on my way. Not worth the hassle I thought.

5 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Just curious, were they covered with mud?

As far as I'm aware they had a couple of small mud splashes on them. The pick-up works the farm. It gets spashed.

48 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

Just offer to pay the fine at the police Station.

Wife went to the police station (Udon) to pay a fine I received, supposed to be 500 Baht, it was discounted to 108 Baht, doubt I will ever understand why?

Not only do they enforce the law ???????? they make it up as they go along! 

45 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

One of the oldest scams in Thailand...what makes it more reprehensible is that these guys are supposed to uphold Thai laws...not act as common highway robbers...????

Thanks for clarifying that, I always believed it was the other way around.

44 minutes ago, SidJames said:

I got pulled over for not wearing seat belt at a road block in Udon but the copper couldn't speak English so asked my wife for her driving license & fined her instead, I was driving.

You have to laugh, a few hundred Baht to witness sheer stupidity - Priceless! 

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Ok, that might be. I find that hard to believe, though. Around 22 years here now, and never been refused a reciept. You must just be the most unlucky person I ever had the pleasure to chat with.

Well Matzzon, I regard myself as being on the lucky side in life.

As far as the BinB go, last time I was stopped and fined, in November last year, I did ask for a receipt; and got one. On that occasion it was for having a brake-light out. Also Mrs Owl got one for not wearing her seat belt in Udon twice. Both times I, as the driver, was wearing mine. When I was fined for not wearing a shirt while driving 8 years ago in Non Han, the policeman didn't want to give a receipt. We only had 40 baht with us to pay the 200 baht fine; he took that and let us go. 200 baht for driving in a bus lane in BKK west; no receipt. 200 baht for the Halogen lights nonsense; no receipt. 200 baht for be being stuck in the middle of the x-roads on the ring road in Udon; no receipt. 500 baht fine for driving on my Euro licence when I first came to Thailand; yes.

So, a mixed bag there. Usually when  when I've done wrong, or the police think I've done wrong, I get a receipt, but when they are simply making things up; then no.

One point, in the OP, was that the 'fine' seems to have doubled this year.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:22 PM, owl sees all said:

My experience is the opposite.

That's because you are paying a bribe, not a ticket.  Ask to be given a ticket because you have no money on you is the answer, legally issued tickets always come with a receipt when paid.

Or don't drive with muddy lights, it's illegal.

Archived