Why do they keep doing it ??

2 hours ago, manchega said:

the op just needs to train them, if they are unable to give notice it is there problem not yours

Tis true sir. That's exactly what I am trying to do. Change it from within and get them to the point, that when my name is mentioned, they just say, 'leave him alone, it's not worth the hassle.' ????

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, CM Dad said:

They hired you and arranged a work permit for you to work for them at their school.  You do not have a work permit to teach private classes outside of the school for extra money that you are most likely not paying taxes on.  You are breaking the law and your contract.  I would advise you to not do extra classes, or to at least keep your mouth shut about them.

I declared the extra money and wanted to pay tax on it and they told me at the local tax office 'cannot.'

I wanted to declare it to bring me up to the threasehold of applying for residency. It would benefit me greatly, but I got a flat 'No.'

Can't fight the system I'm afraid. You want to give them money, but they won't let you. Strange, eh!

On 6/16/2019 at 1:15 PM, thequietman said:

True ... regarding the point that they won't change. I am Irish and head strong and WILL tell them to get F#### if they keep pushing me! ????

That is another good option! The one I would probably do. : )

I back you bro.

16 hours ago, thequietman said:

You are way off in your estimates. Thai government Uni's don't pay even close to that. International uni's might go to 70k at a push, but local in town ones - forget about it!

For 70k, i would put up with their crap.

perhaps, none the less 40k+? for doing a fraction of the work and pointless time wasting admin have to do in order to keep their jobs with no career progression

I realise this is not a response to you but to Connda

the admin really do earn next to nothing for a lot of work

when I was last doing uni I really did feel for these people and the horrible circumstances they find themselves in waiting for the head dragon of admin to die to move up a step or around

even normal Thai (non alien) lecturers don't earn that much in some unis- 10 years ago I think 15k basic at kaset before top ups etc.  however talented and inspired you were as a 20 something researcher 5 years of that would start to drain you

after 10 yrs of glorified teaching in a profession where everyday the lack of any difference being made to anything would take the umf out of whatever inspired you in the first place

Hmmm sounds like a southern uni... Remember now...you are easily replaced... Having a good attendance record or brownie points, does not count here. 

Start looking about, prepare for another place, get things in writing.. A good learning..

Cheers Mate..

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:48 PM, marcusarelus said:

I have had a couple of heart operations and found them better than doctors in America.  I must say I've only lived here 20 years though.  

Sorry, but I do not believe you. The best of them cannot even make a decent plastic filling i my tooth… So: heart operations????? Omg!!!

13 hours ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

If you dont mind me asking: what sort of pay do you receive for the position?

At least 300 baht a day.  Considering the OP's view of the Thai education system who knows.  You probably asked the OP the wrong question.  You should have asked him what he thinks a College Professor in Thailand at his school is worth?

On 6/20/2019 at 3:24 PM, marcusarelus said:

At least 300 baht a day.  Considering the OP's view of the Thai education system who knows.  You probably asked the OP the wrong question.  You should have asked him what he thinks a College Professor in Thailand at his school is worth?

Why would my view affect the amount of salary paid. There is a set amount paid on a scale. I have a MA, so I get from 36,000 - 45,000 baht a month.

300 a day is less than 10,000 a month. Don't be ridiculous. ????

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:27 AM, thequietman said:

I take your point but we are cerainly not equal. The thai teachers have job security, I don't. They get a pension, I don't. They get yearly salary increases, I don't. We are certainly not the same. Apply the same working conditions to me and maybe I will take this nonsense.

Next time when you get a job, read the contract properly before you sign it. If there are things in it you don't like, tell them to change it. If they don't refuse the job. Most companies don't want staff doing work outside the company as they won't be rested/ concentrated on their main job.

OK, you must learn rule #1. Most Thais live to work. Few work to live. So putting in ridiculous hours, without pay is not considered a burden to them. It is expected. So, just because you are a foreigner, and are accustomed to living a different lifestyle means nothing to them. If you are working for a Thai, you are expected to be obedient and subservient. Period. 

I've had such - very annoying and expensive - timetable clashes. 

Ever had to sit at a parents' meeting with teachers droning on for hours? (Not caring whether parents were actually listening). Stop thinking that they have any regard for other people's time! 

YMMV, I was never asked to do such a thing outside normal hours at my university. So you might find greener pastures elsewhere. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2019 at 10:54 AM, connda said:

Agreed.  You expect them to respect your wishes with the Thai equivalent of a 'gentleman's handshake?"  If it's not contractual and in writing, you have no expectations.
What you would have found had you forced the issue and demanded the agreement in writing would be you'd not have to worry about 'strike 3' as they would never have hired you in the first place.
Foreign educator are not respected here my friend.  You're simple grist to keep the money flowing through the educational mill.  If you won't work for low wages and with no respect from the administration, there are others who gladly will.  We understand that you probably are a conscientious, dedicated educator - but the Thai system simply wants a body who will accept low paid and who will not rock the boat, as well as being deferential without question.  Quality and dedication are at best secondary considerations.

Good points. I can corroborate @Conda saying you wouldn't have been hired.

I've had no such issues at a Technical College but encountered their malice when it came to holidays. Some hater decided to enforce daily "sign-ins". 

The OP is right, they could and should have informed him in advance. OTOH, bosses here in SE Asia are demi Gods. My friend's boss in Vietnam hasn't paid the April salary - in the UK, he would face doing time! 

It's hard to take anything seriously in "no-fail" Thailand.

OP, 3,250 THB is serious, show up for the few hours when you can. Could a bored colleague replaceyou for like 1,000 THB?

Good luck!

On 6/16/2019 at 6:33 PM, thequietman said:

I would suggest you are wrong in this regard. I get along fine with my Thai neighbours. This is a work thing and it is the institution more than the people who work there. that I have issues with. I know the hierarchical system here is how things work, but in a time when they can't get NES, it doesn't make sense that they do what they do. But they do!

Asking a NES to go to a seminar, so a Japanese guy can teach us how to teach English is a little much. Yes, the Thai teachers need the help, but I don't need any assistance with my Jinglish thanks. I am a Phd candidate and I can think of other ways to spend my time better.

It's the mentality that if the Thai teachers have to go, then it's not fair that the foreigners don't have to. It really does boil down to that point.

Och, Aye! Now this is the poodle's core (Goethe, Faust 1). Been there, suffered the most astonishingly stupid bosses' orders in SE Asia. Wild and crazy stuff. And them hiring a Japanese guy to teach you, their PhD lecturer anything, is pretty rich. 

Please follow upon this, it sure sounds intriguing. Not that teaching methodology will be the exclusing realm of NES. But then we are talking a system where the OP will have everyone pass. Show or no show, ability or no ability, effort or no effort.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:42 PM, CM Dad said:

They hired you and arranged a work permit for you to work for them at their school.  You do not have a work permit to teach private classes outside of the school for extra money that you are most likely not paying taxes on.  You are breaking the law and your contract.  I would advise you to not do extra classes, or to at least keep your mouth shut about them.

Not so fast - there have been changes to the WP system. Are you aware of the latest changes?

On 6/23/2019 at 5:49 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Next time when you get a job, read the contract properly before you sign it. If there are things in it you don't like, tell them to change it. If they don't refuse the job. Most companies don't want staff doing work outside the company as they won't be rested/ concentrated on their main job.

I've got news for you: NO CONTRACT during the probationary period. Lying, flying under the radar, having no WP... No reimbursement for the T-VISA trip abroad. Welcome to my world. And there are some of you suggesting to tell them what to put into their contracts?!! 

Beggars can't be choosers.

20 hours ago, BurgerGung said:

I've got news for you: NO CONTRACT during the probationary period. Lying, flying under the radar, having no WP... No reimbursement for the T-VISA trip abroad. Welcome to my world. And there are some of you suggesting to tell them what to put into their contracts?!! 

Beggars can't be choosers.

If you can't get a job with a proper contract, work permit and visa then go to another country where you can.

46 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you can't get a job with a proper contract, work permit and visa then go to another country where you can.

Agreed, contrary to what many of the backpackers and other temps believe, they are only making things worse for those, who recognize the need to be legal. 

Archived