Visa Transfer on future expired passport

Ubonjoe,

Your help please sir?

My wife picked up my extension of stay this morning from Immigration just outside BKK which is valid until June 2020. My passport expires February 2020. The visa woman says I have to reapply for a new visa Jan/Feb 2020. Is this correct? I always thought the procedure was to transfer the remaining months until June 2020 into the new passport or am I mistaken? Please advise.

Thanks for you time as always,

JJP

Edited by jjp

Are you sure your extension stamp has a date in June 2020 on it. I think it has a date in February of 2020 on it.

Since 2013 you have to a have a 12 months remaining on your passport validity when you apply for an extension or it will be issued to the date your passport expires. After you get a new passport you have to apply for a new extension by the date your shortened extension ends.

I got a new UK passport in BKK last year.  Long procedure as it has to go to UK and not issued at BKK as was once done.  When finally finished I was given a letter to take to local I/O, in Thailand, asking for exiting retirement visa and re-entry to be transferred to new passport.  Presented all this to local I/O and everything done quickly and without fuss.  Could not have been easier.

If you have an existing visa in you passport, then get new passport in Thailand.  I doubt if UKPA would care about transferring existing visa to new passport.  Might be possible to do this at Thai embassy, but doubtful as the transfer done inn Thai I/O needed new visa stamps etc.

When coming to Thai from UK with les than 1 yr remaining on my passport, I had to explain that I was going to renew passport in Thailand.  No problems at Swampy I/O