Trump says new sanctions on Iran to start Monday, dials back rhetoric

rooster59

4 hours ago, bristolboy said:

And you're the guy who was complaining, with justification, about some on the left calling Trump supporters names. I was actually hoping that you were the rational reasonable non naming calling Trump supporter. Instead, you turn out to be just another hypocrite.

As for what you call my prediction, it's simply an observation about of the current situation. They are vulnerable. Top military brass warned Trump about this.

If I had said something like Iraq will triumph! or Trump will defeat the Iranians!, that's what's called a prediction. But predicting the result of an election that's about `16 months, is just taunting. 

Personnel in Iraq and other locations have always been vulnerable. That's why I find it laughable, that people think the Nuclear Agreement, really accomplished anything, Obama and the Europeans got played. None of this is really new, many of these problems existed long before I moved to the Gulf in 1998, were still valid concerns when I left in 2012, and from what friends tell me, it's still the same now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beechguy said:

Personnel in Iraq and other locations have always been vulnerable. That's why I find it laughable, that people think the Nuclear Agreement, really accomplished anything, Obama and the Europeans got played. None of this is really new, many of these problems existed long before I moved to the Gulf in 1998, were still valid concerns when I left in 2012, and from what friends tell me, it's still the same now.

Are you able to identify how many US personnel have been killed / wounded as a result of Iranian activities since trump became President? Perhaps of more importance in the very high suicide rate of ex military people; what actions has the trump administration taken to address this matter?

If I recall correctly there were an estimated 600,000 civilian deaths due to the sanctions on Iraq. Accordingly, regards the OP has it been estimated the number of deaths in Iran as an outcome of the current trump administration sanctions?

Edited by simple1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, CaptRon2 said:

Having reread my response to your post I have to admit you are 100% correct,  my using the term all you lunatic lefties was inexcusably hypocritical of me, I certainly fell into the same pattern of name calling I have been condemning and I apologize for that, in the future I will try to practice what I preach.

i also should have stated your response to my post was a bit hypocritical instead of calling you a hypocrite. 

I believe that your statement about what Trump will learn in the future is a prediction, you of course justify the statement because of facts you believe.

My belief that President Trump will be victorious in the upcoming elections is also based on facts which in my opinion are just as strong and reliable as the facts that led you to form your opinion and make your statement.

I was wrong calling you a hypocrite, and as you pointed out I myself was the name calling hypocrite, for this I apologize.

As far as the distinction between what I said being a prediction and what you said being an observation, you haven’t convinced me about that but I did learn a valuable lesson from you today, so I say thank you!

I've had my lapses, too. So I think my criticism of you was a bit over the top.

But, no, I didn't make a prediction. Pointing out a vulnerability is not the same as saying it will be exploited. Moreover, I was referring to a current situation. Not something that is set 16 months in the future.

5 hours ago, beechguy said:

First off, the nuclear agreement was not about protecting US personnel in Iraq. That said, there was also not much incentive to go after them until now. What would Iran have gained by instigating attacks on them? Now the situation is different. Iran is backed into a corner. The question becomes how much punishment is Iran willing to take vs. how much punishment Trump is willing to take. Because the stakes for the Iranian leadership are higher, I'd say they're up for enduring a lot more than Trump. How much more is the question.

57 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Are you able to identify how many US personnel have been killed / wounded as a result of Iranian activities since trump became President? Perhaps of more importance in the very high suicide rate of ex military people; what actions has the trump administration taken to address this matter?

If I recall correctly there were an estimated 600,000 civilian deaths due to the sanctions on Iraq. Accordingly, regards the OP has it been estimated the number of deaths in Iran as an outcome of the current trump administration sanctions?

"....an estimated 600,000 civilian deaths due to the sanctions on Iraq."

Estimates of excess deaths during the sanctions vary widely, use different methodologies and cover different time-frames.[8][36][37] The figure of 500,000 child deaths was for a long period widely cited, but recent research has shown that that figure was the result of survey data manipulated by the Saddam Hussein regime.[12][38] A 1995 Lancet estimate put the number of child deaths at 567,000,[39] but when one of the authors of the study followed up on it a year later, "many of the deaths were not confirmed in the reinterviews. Moreover, it emerged that some miscarriages and stillbirths had been wrongly classified as child deaths in 1995."[12][40] A 1999 UNICEF report found that 500,000 children died as a result of sanctions,[41] but comprehensive surveys after 2003 failed to find such child mortality rates.[12] A 2017 study in the British Medical Journal described "the rigging of the 1999 Unicef survey" as "an especially masterful fraud".[12] The three comprehensive surveys conducted since 2003 all found that the child mortality rate in the period 1995-2000 was approximately 40 per 1000, which means that there was no major rise in child mortality in Iraq after sanctions were implemented.[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctions_against_Iraq#Estimates_of_deaths_due_to_sanctions

• Like 2

Perhaps appropriate to remind posters of the core agreement which prior to trump's unilateralism had not been under threat.

The nuclear accord negotiated under the Obama administration says in its first paragraph: ‘Iran reaffirms that under no circumstances will Iran ever seek, develop or acquire any nuclear weapons.’”

• Confused 1