Suddenly lost the catch-up facility on BBCiPlayer

Krataiboy

I use an android box with VPN linked to a smart television to access BBCiPlayer to watch live streams and catch up on their archived drama series, documentaries and sport etc. For the last couple of days I have been locked out of this invaluable catch-up service by a notice saying "This content is not currently available". While I am still able to access and watch livestream programmes, no matter what I try the archived stuff is remains stubbornly inaccessible.

The VPN company says I must be connecting with the BBC's iPlayer service OK, otherwise I wouldn't be able to access live stuff. This makes sense. Their theory is that the Beeb must be blocking the catch-up progs for some inexplicable reason. This doesn't make as much sense - because using the same VPN-generated UK location on my PC I am still able to access and watch both livestream and archived programmes.

I've tried updating, uninstalling and reinstalling the iPlayer in my android device, but this makes no difference. Neither does switching between the various locations recommended on from the VPN's list of UK addresses. I even tried using a different android box but found myself still able only to watch live streams.

I'm stumped for a get-round and was wondering if any other Forum members have encountered the same problem and found a solution.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Just tried mine, all working ok, only thing I find with it, that it sometimes logs me out, I realise this by the program buffering, once I log in again it's fine.

May I ask what VPN you use? Mine is ExpressVPN. They say they are aware of the problem, but have yet to come up with an answer.

3 hours ago, johng said:

Just 2 "stabs in the dark" try setting the Android box to UK time,and try changing the "user agent" sent by the Android box (might be difficult) to match the PC browser agent.

I'll give it a whirl and let you know. Thank you.

Just now, Krataiboy said:

May I ask what VPN you use? Mine is ExpressVPN. They say they are aware of the problem, but have yet to come up with an answer.

Thunder VPN. I believe the first week was free and I forget exactly how much after that but not expensive.

I experienced a similar situation recently.
The BBC are getting more and more advanced with checking where their programmes are being watched.
The download section is harder to convince than the live stream section.
If you logout of the BBC iPlayer application and then log back in whilst using the VPN it sometimes works.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It happens from time to time , I use NordVPN. But I just select a different server , they offer hundreds of them so you will always find one that works.

I just use my laptop connected to the smart TV via my router. 

I have the same issue and i did a quick google search, and apparently some isp's have a list of known vpn servers and geoblock them. I can get live content but no replays. I use nordvpn and am trying to access australian content. Channel 9 is the biggest pain, as the footy is on it. Channel 7 is ok. So this would be a vpn problem and i dont think there is an easy solution as it would mean new servers constantly. What happened to the good ole days when the internet was the wild wild west. 

Im sure someone has a solution or is working on one though.

IMG_20190625_061351.jpg

3 hours ago, adjustedpete said:

I have the same issue and i did a quick google search, and apparently some isp's have a list of known vpn servers and geoblock them. I can get live content but no replays. I use nordvpn and am trying to access australian content. Channel 9 is the biggest pain, as the footy is on it. Channel 7 is ok. So this would be a vpn problem and i dont think there is an easy solution as it would mean new servers constantly. What happened to the good ole days when the internet was the wild wild west. 

Im sure someone has a solution or is working on one though.

IMG_20190625_061351.jpg

Smart dns proxy works well with Australian channels. And does not slow down your internet speed.

Archived