drinking water filter system economical to buy & maint.

notrub

We have just made a 35 M deep well in rural Isaan.  The water produced is clear and sweet (as in good).  We buy in bulk water for drinking and shower with town water.  Is there an economical and effective way to filter our well water to a safe drinking standard?  I already have a separate tap in the kitchen that I put in when I built the house.   A system that has reasonably priced replacement filters too.  Is there a service to have the water tested?  Thanks.

18 minutes ago, notrub said:

Is there a service to have the water tested

Some universities will do that

18 minutes ago, notrub said:

Isthere an economical and effective way to filter our well water to a safe drinking standard?

That will depend on the results of the tests.

I have been reliably told that the water filters in Thailand are inadequate if you wish to filter out the chemical residues and heavy metals present, in rural areas. Glad I didn't buy one and glad we have clean rain water.

2 hours ago, notrub said:

A system that has reasonably priced replacement filters too.

Never found a decent portable water filter unit for our water for me to like, there's always seems to be an after taste.

Water from your Well could be filtered by a more expensive water filter set-ups I guess what's used to produce bottled water. 

For a decent Water filter you will need at least a UV one with filters. Cost not cheap. Around 12th BT. You also have to change the filters once a year cost for those around 2th BT fitted. 3.5th if you have to change the UV light as well. At least they will kill anything and give you very good drinking water. N/B if your well water gets a lot of rubbish in it you might have to change filters quicker than the 1 year.

You could boil it that might be even cheaper, but it's not much cheaper time you add the cost of heating same.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.  To trd, thanks about RO filter ideas.  Home Pro is a 200 km 'round trip for me here in the northern tip of Bururam province,, although I frequently buy (lots of) stuff there.  From my armchair I see that there are many RO devices for sale these days.  What make is the one you use trd and approx price range that I should be expecting to pay?  Rough guess is enough, thanks.   Also, how often do you change the filters please?  Is your home, and well, located in a rural area like mine?

In lots of countries well water is drunk (drinked, drunken?) straight from the source and in France pipes can be found where someone has drilled into a spring and people collect this water to use.  Is there any reason that I cannot just the water from my well without treating it at all? 

Where do all these fancy 'spring water' bottled water outfits source their products?  

Thanks very much for time spent thinking about my questions, now and in the past.

10 minutes ago, notrub said:

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.  To trd, thanks about RO filter ideas.  Home Pro is a 200 km 'round trip for me here in the northern tip of Bururam province,, although I frequently buy (lots of) stuff there.  From my armchair I see that there are many RO devices for sale these days.  What make is the one you use trd and approx price range that I should be expecting to pay?  Rough guess is enough, thanks.   Also, how often do you change the filters please?  Is your home, and well, located in a rural area like mine?

In lots of countries well water is drunk (drinked, drunken?) straight from the source and in France pipes can be found where someone has drilled into a spring and people collect this water to use.  Is there any reason that I cannot just the water from my well without treating it at all? 

Where do all these fancy 'spring water' bottled water outfits source their products?  

Thanks very much for time spent thinking about my questions, now and in the past.

If you're in Buriram province you must know about Rueangsangthai? PLACE TO GO for filters, you will get good advice in English and they work with a Dutch guy that really knows his onions.

https://burirambuildersmerchants.com/

14 minutes ago, notrub said:

Well, in Thailand there isn’t really any government enforcement on the use of pesticides and most homes don’t use proper septics. Just concrete rings in the ground. I won’t drink straight well water here for those reasons. 

Lazada has loads of RO systems for about 4K baht. I’ve got one from there. RO system. Triple filter. And UV light. I fill up 5 or 6 large water bottles and keep them in the fridge. 

I live in rural issan and im on a well and been drinking water like this for years without issue. 

I change filters and uv light every 4-5 months. 

Something like this:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/colandas-reverse-osmosis-50-gpd-i398363-s425645.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.7.1ac11d300hErRn&search=1

5 hours ago, notrub said:

Is there any reason that I cannot just the water from my well without treating it at all? 

If you have it tested and it's free of heavy metals, pesticides, and bacterial contamination no reason not to drink it.

Of course if the levels above are high then up to you. 

Just because it it comes out of the ground doesn't mean it's safe.

On 6/25/2019 at 10:25 AM, cooked said:

I have been reliably told that the water filters in Thailand are inadequate if you wish to filter out the chemical residues and heavy metals present, in rural areas. Glad I didn't buy one and glad we have clean rain water.

I test my water filter with a test kit - purchase from Lazada.  Since the water filters available in Thailand are the same ones available in the West I guess you are saying there are no reliable water filters.  

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I test my water filter with a test kit - purchase from Lazada.  Since the water filters available in Thailand are the same ones available in the West I guess you are saying there are no reliable water filters.  

Not really, the run of the mill water filters used in the West are used for filtering tap water. I don't think that  water pumped up from the depths of an agricultural area can be adequately filtered to remove all the heavy metals.

As I said, we drink rain water which goes through a rain water filter.

31 minutes ago, cooked said:

I don't think that  water pumped up from the depths of an agricultural area can be adequately filtered to remove all the heavy metals.

It’s weird because on the one hand you won’t drink filtered well water but you’ll drink rain water that goes through a very basic filter that won’t get hardly any bacteria or parasites. 

Rain water that’s likely channeled down through stuff that’s got bird crap & whatever else on it. 

22 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

It’s weird because on the one hand you won’t drink filtered well water but you’ll drink rain water that goes through a very basic filter that won’t get hardly any bacteria or parasites. 

Rain water that’s likely channeled down through stuff that’s got bird crap & whatever else on it. 

Yes weird, the family here has been drinking rain water for 50 years and as far as we can tell don't suffer gastric problems. Same goes for the village. The rain water filter is not "very basic" but you didn't know that, did you?

2 hours ago, cooked said:

Yes weird, the family here has been drinking rain water for 50 years and as far as we can tell don't suffer gastric problems. Same goes for the village. The rain water filter is not "very basic" but you didn't know that, did you?

I know that science is not on your side here, and a “filter” is not even coming close to purifying your rooftop bird poop rainwater to the same standard as well water through a reverse osmosis membrane & UV light. 

Just because people have been doing it for “50 years” does not make it a preferable choice when there are modern options available. 

14 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

I know that science is not on your side here, and a “filter” is not even coming close to purifying your rooftop bird poop rainwater to the same standard as well water through a reverse osmosis membrane & UV light. 

Just because people have been doing it for “50 years” does not make it a preferable choice when there are modern options available. 

Read again. My rain water filter is not "very basic". Apparently you don't like that for some reason. Maybe I have a modern option? Please go away.

11 minutes ago, cooked said:

Read again. My rain water filter is not "very basic". Apparently you don't like that for some reason. Maybe I have a modern option? Please go away.

Do you test your water or rely on the Thai wisdom of 100 year old aunty Lek?

17 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Do you test your water or rely on the Thai wisdom of 100 year old aunty Lek?

Aunty Lek knows better than provable science don’t you know. She’s been drinking it for 100 years and only had parasites 5 times. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/27/2019 at 8:15 AM, cooked said:

If you're in Buriram province you must know about Rueangsangthai? PLACE TO GO for filters, you will get good advice in English and they work with a Dutch guy that really knows his onions.

https://burirambuildersmerchants.com/

Does anyone know if there is such a company as this in the Khukan/Sisaket area.

On 6/27/2019 at 4:58 PM, cooked said:

Not really, the run of the mill water filters used in the West are used for filtering tap water. I don't think that  water pumped up from the depths of an agricultural area can be adequately filtered to remove all the heavy metals.

Where did you get your rainwater filter  and what is it.

On 6/27/2019 at 6:17 PM, cooked said:

In Queensland Australia, we drank filtered rainwater for over 30 years and never had any problems. In fact we used to get friends come out from town to collect our lovely drinking water rather than drink town water.

Ultimately it isn’t that hard to filter water to a potable state. Personally I don’t think RO and UV add much value to reasonably clean water, you just need to make sure the filters are changed properly. You do need to know what is in your water though to filter it properly with minimum maintenance. 

One thing that does bother me with the filter kits that you get here is that they aren’t labeled with the average/minimum pore size, and do not indicate the pressure drop across the filter. Mine has two carbon filter stages showing different purposes— while I understand what they should be, it isn’t labeled. 

I bought a 14-in-1 test kit for about 1000B with 100 test strips. Use it periodically to test the water quality, and you should be fine. 

Archived