Do the dates i submit in the travel plan are mandatory?

Applying for a schengen visa for my wife 

We both going to be tourists there, only i do not require visa and she, a thai national, does. 

If for example we submit a travel plan starting august 1st, and assuming the visa is approved 

Do we get a period of time to enter europe? Like 90 days to activate it same as with thai tourist visa? 

Or do i get the exact dates as in the travel plan we have submitted? August 1st? 

Im asking this cause i want to know, if things are flexible after getting the visa? We are planning to travel with family so things might change a bit

Also would like to know if same thing apply to the time we have to spend in each country? We apply in Germany since were going to land there and going to be there longest but what if we end up changing things and being in italy longer or something like that? Do they check it somehow? Can they? 

If you're an EU National your wife is applying under the Freedom of Movement Directive your wife will need to provide evidence that you're travelling together or she's meeting you there, so in that case details of her travel plans are required.

If you're not an EU National she will need to provide details of her flights in and out of the Schengen Area, as well as any third countries, she will also need to provide details of her accomodation for every night of her stay in the Schengen Area.

You're right about how you need to apply and the details of your trip are recorded, as to whether they check, I don't know, but people do change their plans.

When my wife first went to France her visa was dated for the day she'd advised she would travel there, and valid for couple of days after her advised return, that was more than ten years ago though.  

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:

When my wife first went to France her visa was dated for the day she'd advised she would travel there, and valid for couple of days after her advised return, that was more than ten years ago though. 

I can go a bit further than that as our experience was more recent. In 2016 we went to Iceland and it was my wife's first Schengen visa. The dates were exactly those on the flights that I subsequently booked. I took a printout of the flights I intended booking. I don;t think there is much flexibilty on a first Schengen visa.

On 6/27/2019 at 5:34 PM, rasg said:

I can go a bit further than that as our experience was more recent. In 2016 we went to Iceland and it was my wife's first Schengen visa. The dates were exactly those on the flights that I subsequently booked. I took a printout of the flights I intended booking. I don;t think there is much flexibilty on a first Schengen visa.

It should not be that way. The visa code says there must be a 15 day period of grace. Say you wished to stay from June 1st for 30 days. Then the visa should be valid from 1-6-2019 untill 15-7-2019 and issued for 30 days. Allowing you to stay 30 days but with with a 2 week window. If you changed plans a bit at the last moment and travelled a week later you could still stay 30 days and depart 30 days later.

Never ever stay longer than either the number of days or beyond the validity date of the visa though. If you entered on 30-6 you would need to cut your holiday short and depart on 15-7 despite not having used all 30 days.

So there is some flexibility but better make a plan, indicate the dates clearly and stick to them.