Strong aftershock jolts same California desert region day after major quake

rooster59

Strong aftershock jolts same California desert region day after major quake

By David McNew

2019-07-05T084801Z_1_LYNXNPEF640ME_RTROPTP_4_CALIFORNIA-QUAKE.JPG

Fissures that opened up under a highway during a powerful earthquake that struck Southern California are seen near the city of Ridgecrest, California, U.S., July 4, 2019. REUTERS/David McNew

RIDGECREST, Calif. (Reuters) - A strong aftershock shook Southern California early on Friday as residents were still assessing the damage from the strongest earthquake in the region in 25 years on July 4, which was felt by more than 20 million people.

The 5.4 magnitude aftershock, the biggest so far, struck the same desert region as Thursday's earthquake. Its epicentre was about 11 miles (18 km) west of Searles Valley at 4:07 a.m., the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The aftershock was felt in Los Angeles, about 150 miles (240 km) to the south, and the surrounding area, with many residents posting on Twitter that they were awakened by it.

By midday local time on Friday, the USGS had registered more than 200 smaller aftershocks following Thursday's 6.4 magnitude quake near the city of Ridgecrest, which was felt from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. Seismologists said they were expecting more in the next few days.

California's new ShakeAlert system detected Thursday's quake, but did not alert residents who had subscribed to the cell phone app because the shaking in Los Angeles County was below the threshold for a warning.

That did not stop some residents from complaining that they should have been warned anyway.

"We hear you and will lower the alert threshold," the city of Los Angeles said in a message on Twitter on Thursday, adding that it would make that change in conjunction with the USGS, which developed the alert system.

Only a few injuries were reported in Thursday's quake, but two houses caught fire from broken gas pipes, officials said.

Water gushed from zigzagged cracks in the pavement from busted water lines. Deep fissures snaked across the Mojave Desert, with passersby stopping to take selfies while standing in the rendered earth.

The quake sent 30 residents of the desert community of 28,000 to emergency shelters, knocked some houses off their foundations and left many homeowners wondering if their insurance would cover the damage, Ridgecrest Mayor Peggy Breeden said.

"The most important thing is that we have not had any loss of life or any major personal damage to people," Breeden told CNN on Friday.

Breeden said officials were still assessing the extent of the damage, but added that emergency state and federal aid would enable the city's overwhelmed agencies to start the cleanup without worrying about their budgets.

The quake hit the edge of Death Valley National Park about 113 miles northeast of Los Angeles at about 10:30 a.m. on Thursday. It was very shallow, only 6.7 miles (10.7 km) deep, amplifying its effect, and was felt in an area inhabited by 20 million people, the European quake agency EMSC said.

The Ridgecrest Regional Hospital, where 15 patients were evacuated earlier, appeared intact apart from some new cracks in the walls.

The quake is the largest in Southern California since the 1994 magnitude 6.6 Northridge earthquake, USGS geophysicist Paul Caruso said. That quake, which was centred in a heavily populated area of Los Angeles, killed 57 people and caused billions of dollars of damage.

(Reporting by David McNew; additional reporting by Bill Tarrant in Los Angeles, Sandra Maler in Washington, Lisa Richwine in Los Angeles, Gabriella Borter and Daniel Trotta and Peter Szekely in New York, Lizbeth Diaz in Mexico City and Rich McKay in Atlanta; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-06

there are a lot of people from California Living in Thailand. Like me.

and the reuters story is incorrect.

It is not a aftershock. It is Mag 7.1 earthquake. 10 times more powerful than july 4th quake

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 2

Can the ShakeAlert system 'predict' earthquakes, or does it send you a text message as it happens, which is really too f...ing late?

Unlike a tsunami warning which can see the wave coming.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Can the ShakeAlert system 'predict' earthquakes, or does it send you a text message as it happens, which is really too f...ing late?

Unlike a tsunami warning which can see the wave coming.

It was mentioned in press conference as obviously needing improvement in predicting magnitude.  

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

there are a lot of people from California Living in Thailand. Like me.

and the reuters story is incorrect.

It is not a aftershock. It is Mag 7.1 earthquake. 10 times more powerful than july 4th quake

Reporting of a previous shock 4:07pm...

The 7.1 was later at 8:19pm.

People think aftershocks will always be smaller, but sometimes they can trigger larger shocks. 

• Thanks 1

Reporting of a previous shock 4:07pm...
The 7.1 was later at 8:19pm.

People think aftershocks will always be smaller, but sometimes they can trigger larger shocks. 

IMG_0888.jpg
Bigger than last weeks earthe tremor which will
be re-classified as a foreshock by Geologists.

this is humorous. reaction to a mag 4 aftershock four minutes before the 7.1 quake:

https://twitter.com/dangallo/status/1147397115225657349

heehaw Merica!

and the same place four minutes later during the big one:

https://twitter.com/Jeff_Paul/status/1147370551452807169

GET THE **** OUT OF MY WAY!

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

IMG_0888.jpg
Bigger than last weeks earthe tremor which will
be re-classified as a foreshock by Geologists.

I thought I had made a mistake by converting to 12Hr clock from 24Hr...

but my source defiantly said 20:19

What do we know about the new quake?

It hit at 20:19 local time on Friday (04:19 BST Saturday), the US Geological Survey (USGS) said.

After Thursday's event, seismologists had been warning that aftershocks could continue for a prolonged period of time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48891511

Too Many timezones Hawaii, Alaska, Pacific, Mountain, Central, Eastern, GMT, BST & TAT (Thai AnyTime)...

• Haha 1

I was on holiday in SF  during the 1989  quake  but outside the area in Oakland . The day before we took the kids to the  SF zoo and the animals , especially the monkeys ,  were going crazy . They knew .

• Thanks 1

I also grew up in California. Earthquakes are a part of life. So many times you feel one, and you don't know if it was only a large truck driving by. You start to ignore it.

I was in the northern California big one in 1989, the Loma Prieta quake. That quake, I will never forget. Power was out for 1 day, and it took me 4 hours to drive home because the whole city was in the dark (normally 30 minutes from school).  And the scientists say these quakes are just the small ones compared to what is coming very soon.

• Like 1

Too Many timezones Hawaii, Alaska, Pacific, Mountain, Central, Eastern, GMT, BST & TAT (Thai AnyTime)...

You can sign up on the USGS website to get automatic earthquake notifications by region.
The info comes in Zulu time, with local time subheading.
I just saw that info I posted on Google however right now I get the warnings for SE ASIA and Japan only.

earthquake.usgs.com

5 hours ago, expatfromwyoming said:

If you live on the most dangerous fault in America do you not expect the worst to occur. People will die when the big one comes however people still act like its surprising.

sanandreasfault2.jpg

Mr. Wyoming, two shorter faultlines pack even more explosive power. One runs through Seattle and has gone off above 9 on the chart. Seattle could be left in ruins. One in the Midwest topped 9 and changed the course of the Mississippi River about 200 years ago. However, being from Wyoming you should be familiar with Yellowstone National Park, one of the world's biggest calderas, which is overdue for another explosion that would wipe out the western U.S. and much of Canada. I lived in the mountains above San Bernardino for 22 years and worked in Los Angeles and suburbs for 44 years. Lots of earthquakes. And my home barely survived two monsterous forest fires. I now have home in northern Utah, when not in Thailand, not far from Yellowstone. Others worry about hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, or driving in a snowstorm. Subtract polar zones, deserts, jungles, and oceans, and Earth is not a friendly place.

I never felt a earthquake before ,until yesterday! I visit  Bakersfield,Ca  every year since 2012.I thought about quakes since my kids live here  but I always associated their location with northern  and  south western  California  area north and south of LA!  Bakersfield is about 112 miles south west from the center of Ridgecrest. .

I was at the gym on the treadmill the same day, hours before the quake and thought I shouldn't be under the giant ceiling fan(12 meters wide). So four hours later the quake hit Bakersfield while I was in the  B of A lobby at the Atm.

I just put my card in  and started going through the prompts and I felt swaying not shaking,I thought I was having dizzy spells. I looked over to the couple at the other Atm and we said OMG did you feel that (4 seconds long).

I canceled the transaction walked out into the parking lot and  talked for a minute than I went back in to the ATM. I new it wasn't just another quake because people everywhere were talking about it. Yah, excuse the kids laughing in the background ,I got this from YT , obviously these kids aren't from the area

Edited by riclag

5 hours ago, Mac98 said:

Mr. Wyoming, two shorter faultlines pack even more explosive power. One runs through Seattle and has gone off above 9 on the chart. Seattle could be left in ruins. One in the Midwest topped 9 and changed the course of the Mississippi River about 200 years ago. However, being from Wyoming you should be familiar with Yellowstone National Park, one of the world's biggest calderas, which is overdue for another explosion that would wipe out the western U.S. and much of Canada. I lived in the mountains above San Bernardino for 22 years and worked in Los Angeles and suburbs for 44 years. Lots of earthquakes. And my home barely survived two monsterous forest fires. I now have home in northern Utah, when not in Thailand, not far from Yellowstone. Others worry about hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, or driving in a snowstorm. Subtract polar zones, deserts, jungles, and oceans, and Earth is not a friendly place.

Mr Mac- I am only too aware of the worlds dangers- however I note in your listing of them you forgot the biggest danger!

I also grew up in so cal been through quite a view right after the north ridge quake we were working for allied signal they calibrate the dipping sonars lowered from helicopters ther lab collapsed into their test pool I’m fully suited up sl 17 going heavy cutting this stuff rigging it out with the crane we had a 5.8 very close buy beeing underwater couldn’t feel any shaking but the sound was incredible sounded like my bones were beeing ground up needless to say my tender and comm man ran out of the building I wasent far behind wearing the hat dragging the umbilical lol (yes I had a word with them lol)but all that asaid you can really see the difference when structures are built to code saves a lot of lives

Mr Mac- I am only too aware of the worlds dangers- however I note in your listing of them you forgot the biggest danger!

The massive tsunami that devastates the Pacific Northwest when the Cascadia subduction zone gives way? Giant Asteroid? Polar magnetic re-alignment?

I lived in Tokyo for years and I’ve been in much bigger earthquakes than that including on March 11th 2011 when we were hit with a 9.0 magnitude earthquake that lasted for several minutes and caused a tsunami and the Fukushima Nuclear power plant to melt down. It was the 3rd most powerful earthquake in recorded history. And at least two aftershocks a day for two months after some of the aftershocks were as powerful as 7.0 magnitude. That was almost biblical.

All the major cities in California should be as well engineered and as well prepared as they are in Japan because a quake like that in California I wouldn’t even want to imagine. We were very lucky that day in Tokyo on March 11th 2011.

• Like 1

I ain't saying that China Lake was a surgical strike.   Rear Admiral Bette Bolivar said non-essential active duty, drilling reservists, civilian employees and dependents are authorized to evacuate to a radius of 100 miles from Naval Base Ventura County. "     Why such a large radius?   "NAWS China Lake access remains Mission Essential Personnel only. Do NOT attempt to access the Installation unless you are Mission Essential Personnel."     What Mission?         "China Lake is the United States Navy's largest single landholding, representing 85% of the Navy's land for weapons and armaments research, development, acquisition, testing and evaluation (RDAT&E) use and 38% of the Navy's land holdings worldwide. In total, its two ranges and main site cover more than 1,100,000 acres (4,500 km2), an area larger than the state of Rhode Island. As of 2010, at least 95% of that land has been left undeveloped. The roughly $3 billion infrastructure of the installation consists of 2,132 buildings and facilities, 329 miles (529 km) of paved roads, and 1,801 miles (2,898 km) of unpaved roads. "

".. a station having for its primary function the research, development and testing of weapons, and having additional function of furnishing primary training in the use of such weapons"

Scalar weapons are for real.

Ok, I haven’t heard that one yet wow. What about the aliens at Area 51? Are they real too? I’m gonna have to google this one “Scalar weapons”, because that’s one conspiracy theory I haven’t heard yet.

Read about Haarp.   There are half a dozen faciities in the world that are involved with it.   Lawrence Livermore has designed a directed energy weapon that would boggle the mind.    Most of this tech was springboarded to after Trumps uncle siezed the paperwork of Nikola Tesla's research upon his death.   Not to mention what is going on at CERN's facility.   The stuff we are hearing about now was developed long ago.  

Edited by samuttodd

Read about Haarp.   There are half a dozen faciities in the world that are involved with it.   Lawrence Livermore has designed a directed energy weapon that would boggle the mind.    Most of this tech was springboarded to after Trumps uncle siezed the paperwork of Nikola Tesla's research upon his death.   Not to mention what is going on at CERN's facility.   The stuff we are hearing about now was developed long ago.  

Ok I googled it I definitely have not researched it extensively but it sounds like something theoretical and maybe a conspiracy theory but I don’t know I’d have to read about it a little more. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were real I guess I have seen some pretty crazy stuff myself.