Do you go ‘property ghosting’?

Do you go ‘property ghosting’?

David Buckley

ppg.jpg

Property ghosting can give ideas for interior design. Image by sean891 from Pixabay

Nearly everyone tours houses never meaning to buy

• In a survey a staggering 96% of Brits admit to browsing properties despite having no intention of moving or buying.

• Unsurprisingly, ALL participants stated they house-hunt online. While, more than 160 participants admitted to attending open houses just to have a snoop around (10%).

• Three-quarters stated that their main intention behind property browsing was simply to ‘be nosey/have a look around’.

• Interestingly, nearly half confessed to looking at properties at least once a month (48%) and searching for properties out of their price range and with high-spec features.

Are you a bit of a “Georgy Girl” of the property world? Always window shopping, but never stopping to buy? as the song’s lyrics go.

If “yes” you are far from alone. It appears that having a snoop around properties you have no intention of snapping up is something of a national pastime among Brits.

It seems we are all slightly obsessed with real estate, whether it be lusting after properties way out of our price range such as those shown on TV’s Escape to the Country, pining over elegantly decorated rooms in magazines, or dreaming about big beautiful gardens.

But, how serious are you about actually moving and buying a new home?How many of us are culpable of ‘property ghosting’?

Often associated with the world of dating, ‘ghosting’ has been coined as the term used to describe the act of cutting all communication with someone, with zero warning or explanation. ‘Property ghosters’ are defined as people who show an interest in a property/properties and then unexpectedly ‘ghost’ the estate agent, vendor or seller.

Determined to discover people’s (non) buying habits, commercial estate agents Savoystewart.co.uk conducted a survey, asking 1,614 property-savvy Brits about their house browsing habits.

Full story: https://londoninspire.co.uk/property-ghosting-study/

1RHcVpx.jpg

-- © Copyright London Inspire in Thailand

Follow London Inspire on Facebook

My partner and I like to tour the showrooms for new projects in Pattaya and look through the model condos. Some of the developers do a very good job of decorating the model condos and it's interesting to see the layouts, the design, and the use of space.  We did the same in America and often came away with some ideas we could use.

• Like 2

We called them "ice cream lickers" back in Oz. It came from working in a tourist town and the family would walk in the office with ice creams wanting to look at a property as they were bored. It did not take much experience to know them even when they did not have ice creams. Very common and no salesman worth his job would get off his chair to service them.

• Haha 1

A few months ago my wife told me about some interesting little houses on a small soi. As I was returning from my morning bicycle ride I stopped by to look at them. As I got about 1 km from the soi on my ride home a young woman on a motorcycle stopped me and asked If I was looking for a house to rent. I of course told her I only wanted to look at the nice houses. Then I stopped at a convenience store and got some ice cream.

Edited by HannahD
clarity
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2019 at 6:16 PM, GreasyFingers said:

We called them "ice cream lickers" back in Oz. It came from working in a tourist town and the family would walk in the office with ice creams wanting to look at a property as they were bored. It did not take much experience to know them even when they did not have ice creams. Very common and no salesman worth his job would get off his chair to service them.

i visit once a condo with ice cream in hands... and buy it 2 weeks after ????

• Like 1