Car In Own Name

geordie

I know the rules to have a car or motor bike in your own name, you need a letter from Immigration confirming your address, and a visa. Well this is what i needed when i bought my motor bike in May 2006. The car i bought from Chevrolet 2 years ago is in my wifes name as i did not have a visa at the time.

I have just been to the Chevrolet dealers in Sakon Nakhon where i live to buy a Colarado Crew Cab, i asked the sales man which visa i needed ie could i do it with just a 3 month O visa or did i need a 1 year one. He made a call to the head office and they told him i could buy it without a visa, i only needed the letter confirming my address from Immigration.

Has anyone else came across this with Chevrolet?

Thanks in advance

Geordie

Edited by geordie

I know the rules to have a car or motor bike in your own name, you need a letter from Immigration confirming your address, and a visa. Well this is what i needed when i bought my motor bike in May 2006. The car i bought from Chevrolet 2 years ago is in my wifes name as i did not have a visa at the time.

I have just been to the Chevrolet dealers in Sakon Nakhon where i live to buy a Colarado Crew Cab, i asked the sales man which visa i needed ie could i do it with just a 3 month O visa or did i need a 1 year one. He made a call to the head office and they told him i could buy it without a visa, i only needed the letter confirming my address from Immigration.

Thanks in advance

Geordie

It's not Chevy. There are reports of farangs buying on 30 day on arrival visas. Different rules in different Dept. of vehicles.

Thanks in advance

Geordie

G'Day

I have Zafira and got it -03 and no problem with Chevy but i have 1yr O visa,,letter from Immigration and car was mine.

that is in Ubon.

Hi all,

thanks for the quick reply.

It just seemed a bit odd as i had never heard of this before. I will go to Immigration now and get the letter, i was a bit worried incase they asked me why i wanted the letter and they said i would need a visa.

Thanks again

Geordie

Yes I have had cars and bikes put in my name on 30 day onlys.. Tho last time they wanted a photocopy of my visa in the same office.. I had a 1 year non O so dont know if they would have refused if I didnt have..

Rules seem, as ever, flexible..

> Different rules in different Dept. of vehicles.

Heck, different rules depending on the dude you find at the counter in the SAME vehicle dept.

(Morning guy told me I couldn't get a driver's license without taking all the tests. Came back during lunch and found a girl behind the counter who just gave me a 5 year one. Go figure.)

Just got back from Nakhon Phanom Immigration, and guess what, they would not give me a letter of address because i only had a 30 stamp, they say must have a 90 day stamp to get the letter.

Called the wife to ask Chevrolet what they are talking about. They said that they forgot to mention that head office give me a letter to take to Immigration, then Immigration will give me the letter, it has something to do with the Transport Office from what i can make out.

I am going down to Chevrolet now, and they are puting the Chev in my name.

So not a wasted drive after all.

Thanks for the info anyway lads.

Geordie

Edited by geordie

You just struck the wrong person at immigration. They either dont know the regulations or are too lazy to give you what you want.

It seems you have it sorted now but another option is to go to your embassy and you can get the required document from there.