Indefinate Leave To Remain ! What A Con!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you are right as I seem to recall it was not untill the 60's that British Passports were changed from "Right of Abode in the United Kingdom". However the labour shortage was only in certain areas, Basically 2. One was that after WW11 we had no bus drivers so hence, as there was an abundance in the West Indies owing to their highly developed transportation system, they quickly came to the UK to help us out. The other shortage during the 60's of course was in social workers. As during the previous 20 odd years most of the nation had either been directly or indirectly involved in opposition to A. Hitler there had been inadequate training and education so as to develop and advance the social services area. As a consequence we had to allow the immigration of many highly trained persons from other countries that did possess these skills, such as Uganda, SW Africa etc. where as we all know they have special skill sets in social welfare and community wellbeing.

Then of course the Rt Hon Enoch Powell was derided for being a visionary.

You are not very good at history, are you? The West Indians came over in the late 40s/early 50's to fill gaps in the labour markets, not primarily as bus drivers - there may have been some and others may have qualified after they came to the UK and which of the islands had a 'highly developed transportation system'?

You mention a shortage of 'social workers', do you mean nurses? There were always shortages in nursing, I come from a long line of nurses, I followed my parents and one of my sisters into the profession as were most of my aunts and uncles. Most of the Ugandan Indians came over in 1972 when Idi Amin kicked them out, most of them were traders and shopkeepers.

Enoch Powell, although remembered for his 'Rivers of Blood' speech was instrumental in bringing in Commonwealth citizens to shore up the NHS.

Just had a look at the questions, been here 25 years (all my life) and failed!! doh!

The really annoying thing is that they expect our thai partners to answer these questions but the person that wrote them cant even spell 'steel' correctly!! take a look!

Now thats a piss take

Mark

Ps I know its only a mock but you can see where i'm coming from...

Edited by markr

Just had a look at the questions, been here 25 years (all my life) and failed!! doh!

The really annoying thing is that they expect our thai partners to answer these questions but the person that wrote them cant even spell 'steel' correctly!! take a look!

Now thats a piss take

Mark

I'm sure that it is only a typo that's been missed - similar to yours!

What have Ugandan bus drivers and Adolph Hitler got to do with Spud's wife?

No you missed the point. It was in the context that had these tests been introduced many years ago some of the problems resulting from immigration and its subsequent manifestation would not be occuring today. Frankly the tosh being spread by Tony and his bunch of bandits is digraceful. If a British person male or Female gets married to a non british person, assuming that they can reasonably provide documentary evidence that they married, not through convenience, (ie it was not an arranged marriage and/or they have known each other for a reasonable period of time) should get ILR and not have to go through this cr*p which has been dreamt up in the last few years. Of course Spud's wife should get ILR in my opinion but Tony and his dreamworks company has gone off at a tangent.

Now thats a piss take

Mark

I'm sure that it is only a typo that's been missed - similar to yours!

Your missing the point hippo! it's not about the spelling, i was just trying to point out that mistakes do happen when writing or answering questions,people are going to cock up and there futures are being disrupted by poxy tests like this!

Mark

Edited by markr

It is obviously a case of trying to lock the door after the horse has bolted, along with making a nice little earner for the government and private sector tutors.

I think most people would agree that *some* level of familiarity with UK life, and *some* level of competency with the language is warranted in order to get ILR, but that level should be a lot lower what is required to pass this test.

If only some kind of test had been introduced 30 years ago we would not now be in the paradoxical situation of having millions of settled immigrants who speak hardly any english, while preventing bona fide spouses of british nationals who's english abilities are significantly better, from settling.

Now THAT is what i call a good post.. hits the nail on the head.

I doubt these tests would have come about unless the "there are too many migrants here that speak funny" mob didn't bleat so much.

Same has happened in OZ. Politics of fear that actually creates barriers. Gets in the way of common sense.

What have Ugandan bus drivers and Adolph Hitler got to do with Spud's wife?

No you missed the point. It was in the context that had these tests been introduced many years ago some of the problems resulting from immigration and its subsequent manifestation would not be occuring today. Frankly the tosh being spread by Tony and his bunch of bandits is digraceful. If a British person male or Female gets married to a non british person, assuming that they can reasonably provide documentary evidence that they married, not through convenience, (ie it was not an arranged marriage and/or they have known each other for a reasonable period of time) should get ILR and not have to go through this cr*p which has been dreamt up in the last few years. Of course Spud's wife should get ILR in my opinion but Tony and his dreamworks company has gone off at a tangent.

Yes it would be a pretty empty country. But then there wouldn't be many Brits in Pattaya either if we had to know the precise year Thai women got the vote, or what was the chief cause of crime (everyone in my office voted for 'Alcohol')

gummy, if these test had been introduced many years ago, how would this have helped Mrs Big Spuds? She would still have to sit it.

markr, you say that you failed the test, if you had studied the 'Life in the United Kingdom' handbook then you may have passed.

Big Spuds please read http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/1146...wledgeqanda.doc and Mrs Big Spuds may be able to get free tuition

Just as an add on, to all of you who have taken the test and scored 17 or 15 or 19 etc. You have already gained excellent knowledge of the English language in speaking, reading and writing.

The majority of our other halves don't have that knowledge. So they are starting to learn from scratch. And for a lot of us, the biggest problem has been the introduction of this, not the principle of it. The govn't have changed the goal posts on getting ILR since giving the initial SV.

For anybody applying now, they know what they have to do and have 2 years in which to achieve it. As this new rule only came about in December(ish) it has left my mrs with only 8 months to achieve it and then when applying, the college's are full of assylum seekers and Polish anyway.

Fortunately i now have an alternative route to go but I have been forced to go this way, by the very country that i served in the forces for.

gummy, if these test had been introduced many years ago, how would this have helped Mrs Big Spuds? She would still have to sit it.

BigSpuds would have known about it when he first applied and been able to plan for it. Now his mrs is left with about 8/9 months to achieve it.

you don't have to apply for citizenship as soon as the 3 years are up though, if you need more time - why don't you take more time?

Are you aware of the NEW rules DSK?

No

You have to have passed the test before you can apply for ILR, before you didn't, it is being introduced next month. So anyone applying after that is affected. Also, the costs have more than doubled to about £750 for postal application and £950 for same day.

Please allow me to interject - the issue of introducing the test years ago was brought up by me - if you read my first post in this thread, I said that I think the test is too difficult. I don't have a problem with having a test, but I just think it should be easier. If an *easier* test had been implemented 30 years ago it would have been to the advantage of many bona fide spouses of british nationals, and to the general good of the country.

Please allow me to interject - the issue of introducing the test years ago was brought up by me - if you read my first post in this thread, I said that I think the test is too difficult. I don't have a problem with having a test, but I just think it should be easier. If an *easier* test had been implemented 30 years ago it would have been to the advantage of many bona fide spouses of british nationals, and to the general good of the country.

Many apologies. Why do you think the test should be easier?

Is that a rhetorical question? :o

I just felt that 1) most people born and bred in the UK probably can't pass it, and 2) knowing about things such as the consolidation of the european steel industry after the 2nd world war are completely irrelevant to daily life in the UK

I expect that having an easier test will not have the (presumed) desired effect of significantly limiting the number of people settling in the UK - hence my point about if an easier test had been introduced earlier.

Before anyone else comments how hard the questions are, please, study (not scan) the 'Life in the United Kingdom' handbook. Then, and only then, answer the questions and comment on the hardness of the questions.

Compare the UK questions with the US questions - http://usgovinfo.about.com/blinstst.htm

Edited by mr_hippo

Mr hippo,

If a book must be read to truly understand the questions, then surely this makes a complete mockery of the whole test!

Would it not be better to ask questions relating to knowledge the person may require in 'future' life in the uk, not past history which is now irellevant?

Mark

Before anyone else comments how hard the questions are, please, study (not scan) the 'Life in the United Kingdom' handbook. Then, and only then, answer the questions and comment on the hardness of the questions.

Compare the UK questions with the US questions - http://usgovinfo.about.com/blinstst.htm

First, comparisons with other countries are not relevent to this, IMHO. I'm british and my wife is Thai. I don't care how easy or difficult it is in the USA.

Second, why should a born-and-bred british citizen need to study a book in order to pass a test on life in the UK ? If you accept the absurdity of this, then by extension how can you impose this on a bona fide foreign spouse of a british citizen ?