Trade in ( part exchange ) or sell privately ?

I’m thinking about selling the motor and buying new, fancy a change of make and model.

In other countries selling privately is usually more cost effective, is that the case here ??

Is there any way to find out my cars value other than looking on one2car.com ??

Is there something similar to Blue Book ( as commonly known in uk ) here ??

Or should i see what the dealer would offer me and put up privately for slightly more ??

TIA

Andy

No book to my knowledge, and my experience when "trading in"(main dealer) is that they just call local dealers to bid on it based on pics taken with a phone etc.

My advice would be to drop in on a few dealers and ask if they want to buy,  but don't let them see you (farang)as it will have a negative effect on the price, they will low ball you.

Sell privately if you can, use the p/ex price and add around 15% would be my guesstimate.

Cost you nothing to advertise to others here on TVF.

• Like 1

Andy

The local car magazines usually have a sort of "Blue Book" section with recommended or current used car prices.   Look for a big magazine with a glossy soft cover cover and standard black and white pages inside.  Brand names, year and prices are in English.

• Like 1

There is a RED BOOK here ...think you input your vehicle details and it comes up with a guide price ... redbookasiapacific etc http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/th/index.php?lang=en&

I recently sold a Civic RS using one2car ...beware of dealers initially posing as private buyers ... if someone sends you a message ... is it still available?  phone this number ..... it's a dealer

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 2

When Mrs.Trans put my truck on social media we got loads of calls with low offers not even seeing the thing, obviousy dealers. Think it was "Line" that the interest came from. I used my insurance total loss figure for a ball park idea what it was worth because it was actually a good figure. In the end I sold it for 20K under that figure, the money was in my bank 20 minutes after the bloke arrived...????

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Is there any way to find out my cars value other than looking

Looking car model years on car selling ad sites is a good way IMO, you can make comparisons of some of the silly prices asked, as trans says insurance companies are good for valuing cars.

The gf’s sister is interested in my car now and the way I understand it is :

She is gonna finance the car so the finance company will send a rep to evaluate the value.
Finance company buys my car giving me the money and gf’s sister enters an agreement to pay them back monthly for my car ??

If this is the case how does that work out for me ?
1) Does the finance company buy my car at the top end of its value to fleece gf’s sister even more on the repayments ?
2) Pays me a fair/established price for the car ?
3) Pays me a lower end of its value and is happy with the ( presumably ) extortionate interest gf’s sister will pay ?