Problem doing Border Run on "last" day of 6 month METV

Dear All,

I received another METV in my home country (Western Europe) and was "informed" at the consulate about fellows that encountered problems when doing their last border run 2 days before the expiration of the 6 month visa period. That never happened to me as I have done so previously and without problems. I would like to stress out that according to that information this problem occurred at land borders. The person was informed by the IO to do this last border run no later than a week before expiration of the METV. Border runs in the 'middle' of the 6 month period seemed to be ok to be done on the last day of the 60 day period. Anybody else had issues like this???

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I plan to go 1 day before the "valid until" date

4 hours ago, Exilerunner said:

encountered problems when doing their last border run 2 days before the expiration of the 6 month visa period

Just curious about the problem with last minute runs to squezze out the, maybe, 3 extra days you possibly can get? Is it really that important with 89 + 30 days compared to maybe say 84 + 30? If so why not get another visa for 60 days? If you can afford to stay abroad 90 days, you can surely pay a 1000 or 2000 baht for another visa. Just to be on the safer side, so to say. Just maybe, you can all enjoy an extra week or two, if you choose that way?

Edited by Matzzon
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Unless using Poipet or Padang Besar, I cannot imagine any problem at a land border.

Has there been reports of people made to stay one night if trying to cross at Padand Besar if bouncing same day? Seem to recall reading a report.

• Like 1

Just curious about the problem with last minute runs to squezze out the, maybe, 3 extra days you possibly can get? Is it really that important with 89 + 30 days compared to maybe say 84 + 30? If so why not get another visa for 60 days? If you can afford to stay abroad 90 days, you can surely pay a 1000 or 2000 baht for another visa. Just to be on the safer side, so to say. Just maybe, you can all enjoy an extra week or two, if you choose that way?
Personally i want to minimise the visas i use before I'm 50. I try to get almost 9 months out of the METV. Also depends when your flight out is. No point getting an SETV with all the hassle that comes with it if you don't need it

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Personally i want to minimise the visas i use before I'm 50. I try to get almost 9 months out of the METV. Also depends when your flight out is. No point getting an SETV with all the hassle that comes with it if you don't need it

I totally get your point. I also think that if you get an extra visa, and only use, let´s say, 2 weeks out of 60 days, then they would look at that as something betting in visa history then the ones that use their visas to the last little limit possible. I can be wrong of course, but that´s my opinion and belief. :smile:

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

Unless using Poipet or Padang Besar, I cannot imagine any problem at a land border.

In April I was denied in Ranong when I showed up to go to the Andaman Club. The IO thumbed through my passport seeing my stamps from this year and last year, Last year I did not have a METV and stayed 6 months on 2 SETVs. This year I had a METV. He failed to notice the 5 month stay in my home country and very aggressively proclaimed that I was "living in Thailand". There was no talking him out of it. I had enough time left to got to Kanchanaburi.

Edited by captnhoy
added "5" to "month stay"
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, crazyk said:

I thought they stopped doing the 6 months metv about 3 or 4 years ago

You are confusing a METV that replaced the 2 and 3 entry tourist visas that existed before it became available.

A METV is valid for 6 months from the date of issue and allows unlimited 60 day entries up to the date it expires.