Woman's 1000cc BMW ends up hanging in a tree - she's seriously injured in hospital

webfact

20 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Just to add   it might cost a million baht but it's not worth a million baht.

The new S1000RR 2019 price in UK is 15,000 quid but I don't think that's the one hanging in the tree.

It's also one ( modified ) of these that holds the lap record at the IOM TT with an ave lap speed of 135.4 mph .. which kinda hints at what it's capable of .. The front tyre on the tree hanger doesn't look all that either does it .. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Then I must question your experience and therefore ability to make such a claim.  Riding a big bike fast is not easy and the heavier the bike, the more difficult it gets.  I've never ridden one of the later 'sports' BMW's but I've ridden one of their more traditional tourers - I'm not a big guy and I just couldn't make that heavy old camel do what I wanted it to. My ZX9 though, I wouldn't say I could throw it around but I could make it corner.

Do you have any idea how to corner fast? I don't mean 'boy racer' fast, I mean really fast.  You need to weigh down on that footpeg and force the bike around or it will spit you off 'highside' - because you're at the wrong angle. A 40kg Thai girl ain't gonna be pushing down on no footpeg.  Horses for courses - yes a small bird can ride a big bike but if she pushes it too far, she'll end up in trouble - or in a tree.

With the greatest respect, implying this crash is due to her size (which we don't know, she might have been on the larger side) is not really correct. Dani Pedrosa is 158cms tall and seems to be able to manage OK. The S1000RR is not a particularly heavy bike compared to something like a GS, once it's moving it's extremely agile and doesn't need huge body strength to ride, it requires decent technique and experience which she may have been lacking. Alternatively, she may have hit a patch of gravel or diesel, or a pothole, or a manhole cover, or a dog, who knows? The S1000RR also has traction control which makes it pretty difficult to highside no matter your size. The way people carry on in this forum sometimes you'd think nobody crashes motorcycles in the utopian West. 

Anyway, let's hope this girl is OK, she didn't go out to hurt anyone - she crashed a motorcycle which many of us have done.

On 7/11/2019 at 12:29 PM, toofarnorth said:

Looks like another big bike in the wrong hands , they are out there folks.

how the f do you know? another non rider with a bs comment.

seeing every motorbike accident as a result of 'speeding'.

seeing every bike riding down the road as 'racing'.

all bs paradigm.

she was not overly speeding and it is a very dark corner and a confusing road there.

accidents happen, even Motogp riders with their experience and skills do accidents!

1 minute ago, Galactus said:

she was not overly speeding and it is a very dark corner and a confusing road there.

So she was riding too fast for the conditions?

A good way to demonstrate lack of riding ability is to have an accident where no other vehicle was involved.... and to park in a tree. 

On 7/12/2019 at 2:12 AM, JonnyF said:

With the greatest respect, implying this crash is due to her size (which we don't know, she might have been on the larger side) is not really correct.

I didn't say it was anything to do with her size - I commented on her likely weight but in fact I was talking about strength. To counter the gyroscope effect which increases with speed, a rider has to be able to manhandle the bike and force it to do as they wish. That is something that most riders will never encounter because although by normal standards they might be going fast, they are not going that fast. Two of my friends have had accidents (one very serious) trying to keep up with me cornering on ride-outs. I raced in my teens and was taught 'racecraft' - the art of being in full control of the machine.  Although I was rarely the fastest on track, I could use the skills I learned on the road. I very much doubt the unfortunate lady in this accident could make that bike do her bidding - few can. I wouldn't dare ride how I used to because a). I'm nowhere near as fit as I was and b). I have learned 'fear' these days.

I know not if an inability to ride fast was the reason for this crash - I was simply commenting on a post and raising the issue of the young lady's probable abilities.  I repeat, its one thing to ride fast, its another to ride really fast. To do that you have to know how and to apply that knowhow you have to have the strength. The heavier the bike, the more strength you need. The bike in the accident would I suggest, be very heavy to the majority of females.

Traction control will not stop a gyroscopic highside - it will only affect one brought about by a sliding/spinning back wheel. Gyroscopic highsides are brought about when the rider is unable to carry their speed into a corner and the bike simply sits up and spits them off.

• 2 months later...

A million baht ? Shirley  not.

On 7/11/2019 at 12:57 PM, Isaanbiker said:

Damn right. A lot of them are out of their forks. Not the first and not the last airborne motorcycle I've seen in the Land of Shins.

Get well, soon, Kaujai. A real nice one, "the victim failed to negotiate the bend on the return leg of a trip to Bang Saen. "

You can't make such things up, can you? 

The report almost gives her credit for negotiating the outward leg, but of course it could have been the G& T that was the issue on the way back

On 9/23/2019 at 7:06 PM, piewarmer said:

I looked for a video on her BMW S1000RR, superb machine.

The lady must have worked her way up to this on smaller sportsbikes.

you wouldn't go to this from a honda wave. Hope she's ok

I'll stick to my Honda Wave thank you. 

Archived