Woman's 1000cc BMW ends up hanging in a tree - she's seriously injured in hospital

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly I do hope she recovers 

I also notice from the photo that there doesn't seem to be any tread on the front tyre, it seems that some Thais are riding big bikes on public roads on slicks - not only is that illegal but also not very sensible

No real driving test + un-experienced driver + way too powerful a machine = utter insanity

Why doesnt anyone suggest they have a road law reform? It's obvious they have a serious problem here - just to pull over to get fuel I have to literally honk my horn for 3 times they ignore all indications and are incapable of handling basic traffic so cause a traffic jam - its insane

35 minutes ago, smedly said:

Firstly I do hope she recovers 

I also notice from the photo that there doesn't seem to be any tread on the front tyre, it seems that some Thais are riding big bikes on public roads on slicks - not only is that illegal but also not very sensible

Yes and where is the force to take care of such matter - no where to be seen! 

3 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Looks like another big bike in the wrong hands , they are out there folks.

They are everywhere, long time co-worker member of the Weasels out of Florida died last year after getting plastered and crashing  into the cement road barriers. Coming  home (Boston) from Cape Cod I had a line of big bikes fly past me at very high speed. Later up the road I saw what was left of 2 bikes that hit the center barrier and look like they exploded. Not a pretty sight, what's that expression? Speed Kills.

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Done it myself.

But with a rigid framed Triumph sidecar outfit back in the mid 80's.

Had to walk to a phone box, call work about 4 miles down the road, to send a couple of guys to help me get it down out of the tree.

Straighten it a up a bit, and carry on riding to work.

The boss must have docked your wages for being late too?

2 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

What relevance does that have to do with what transpired?

In Australia a long time ago, there was a guy with one of the biggest BMW bikes berating his girlfriend after she had fallen off it riding solo, and the fairings got scratched.

Bloody idiot, allowing an inexperienced small rider on a bike that size. She was standing on tiptoe at rest.

The relevance is many women are not big enough or strong enough to handle a large and heavy bike successfully. I am 1.68 m tall, 92 kg. I stick to a humble scooter.

To quote Clint Eastwood, man's got to know his limitations. Or woman, in this case.

2 hours ago, brain150 said:

It's obvious that most people who comment here never came close to a BMW 1000 RR

or even riding one [or any other "big bike" for that matter].

Nobody knows what actually happened - or what skill level the lady has.

Why the weight or size of a rider would matter is just as much nonsense as most of the other comments.

Let people ride their bikes !

Most riders are completely harmless and responsible and no danger to anybody.

You're right. I've never ridden a big bike. Why would I want to get on something that has a better than average chance of killing me?

The statistic  80%  of road deaths in Thailand are attributable to motorbike riders ( either themselves or others ) makes a mockery of your last sentence.

4 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

To use them on the road requires great experience and restraint of the throttle

Agree totally which is why I have an ER6 in Thailand. I have %& (a lot) years of experience but poor throttle restraint. I've got away with it for years in the UK because the actions of other road users are fairly predictable - that doesn't work in Thailand. Even the ER6 is too fast in some situations but it doesn't 'beg' me to get down the road.

Most 'big bikes' beg you to wind back the throttle - those who don't ride won't understand that. Better not to have such a weapon in Thailand.

3 hours ago, brain150 said:

Why the weight or size of a rider would matter is just as much nonsense as most of the other comments.

Then I must question your experience and therefore ability to make such a claim.  Riding a big bike fast is not easy and the heavier the bike, the more difficult it gets.  I've never ridden one of the later 'sports' BMW's but I've ridden one of their more traditional tourers - I'm not a big guy and I just couldn't make that heavy old camel do what I wanted it to. My ZX9 though, I wouldn't say I could throw it around but I could make it corner.

Do you have any idea how to corner fast? I don't mean 'boy racer' fast, I mean really fast.  You need to weigh down on that footpeg and force the bike around or it will spit you off 'highside' - because you're at the wrong angle. A 40kg Thai girl ain't gonna be pushing down on no footpeg.  Horses for courses - yes a small bird can ride a big bike but if she pushes it too far, she'll end up in trouble - or in a tree.

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

Agree totally which is why I have an ER6 in Thailand. I have %& (a lot) years of experience but poor throttle restraint. I've got away with it for years in the UK because the actions of other road users are fairly predictable - that doesn't work in Thailand. Even the ER6 is too fast in some situations but it doesn't 'beg' me to get down the road.

Most 'big bikes' beg you to wind back the throttle - those who don't ride won't understand that. Better not to have such a weapon in Thailand.

And weapon is a pretty good description in the wrong hands .. 

Most bikes of this ilk turn out close to 190 hp some top 200 but they weigh in the region of 180 kilo's fuelled up .. There are very few vehicles on the road with that power to weight ratio apart from top end supercars .. And with most of these type of bikes capable of a ton in 1st gear alone it translates into mind boggling performance that can catch you out in the blink of an eye .. 

4 minutes ago, atyclb said:

big bike are a pleasure to ride, comfortable, stable  and brake well except for some harleys that vibrate like hell and are very loud.

I've never heard of a lady rider complain about the vibrating seat:)

6 minutes ago, losworld said:

I've never heard of a lady rider complain about the vibrating seat:)

That's because Harleys are the world's largest vibrators. How else do you think bearded obese grungy males would get their female pillion passengers?

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

The boss must have docked your wages for being late too?

Funnily enough, no.

Long story, too long for here, but i was basically being paid in cash and was not on the books.

Not meant to be there.

When  a few weeks later some sheet steel slipped whilst i had tin snips in my hand and i split the top of my hand into a fanny replica, not only did i go white as a sheet, and needed a chair to sit down, so did the manager AND the boss.

As they had to concoct a story for A&E at the hospital.

Wonderful scar.

Place was actually more a wood joinery place making A frame wooden roof joists for housing.

I seem to remember my job was more of an odd job / maintenance man.

I remember way back in High School I took my friend's bike for a quick ride down around the block.  I had about 2 minutes of bike experience and his bike was a 800 or 850 honda as I recall.  Much bigger than the little 350 cc honda another friend had let me ride on once.  Anyway I took off smoothly and was going slow, stopped at a T intersection that had a stop sign.  I engaged the clutch and the bike lurched and I drove it right up an embankment, and flipped the bike on its side.  Luckily no damage to me or the bike as it was a grassy knoll (no JFK sighting).  But it sure had a lot of power.  I can only imagine a 1000 CC bike.

11 hours ago, Mavideol said:

we know majority of Thais don't know how to (fast) ride ...all for the show and here is the result

Actually big bike riders in Thailand are very good, much better than most of western wannabe riders. Most of farangs here own their first bikes in their 50's, awful riding, no skills.

11 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Looks like its been hung up to dry in that 2nd pic' .. 

Seriously bikes like this and the Kawasaki involved in a crash the other day in C M belong on the racetrack .. To use them on the road requires great experience and restraint of the throttle .. Factor in night time and possible road conditions and you can get yourself in trouble very quickly on one .. 

Just to add   it might cost a million baht but it's not worth a million baht.

The new S1000RR 2019 price in UK is 15,000 quid but I don't think that's the one hanging in the tree.

11 minutes ago, BMW Overlander said:

Actually big bike riders in Thailand are very good, much better than most of western wannabe riders. Most of farangs here own their first bikes in their 50's, awful riding, no skills.

You have to be a better rider here because the traffic is horrible and the roads are shit.

48 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I remember way back in High School I took my friend's bike for a quick ride down around the block.  I had about 2 minutes of bike experience and his bike was a 800 or 850 honda as I recall.  Much bigger than the little 350 cc honda another friend had let me ride on once.  Anyway I took off smoothly and was going slow, stopped at a T intersection that had a stop sign.  I engaged the clutch and the bike lurched and I drove it right up an embankment, and flipped the bike on its side.  Luckily no damage to me or the bike as it was a grassy knoll (no JFK sighting).  But it sure had a lot of power.  I can only imagine a 1000 CC bike.

Probably a CB750. Nice bike. 

Archived