Alcohol banned for 48 hours from midnight tonight - it's all about suffering!

webfact

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need a little sweet calendar girl to get hold of all the happenings in Thailand. Lol, yes I know the holidays in my country by heart of course, but cannot get used to the Thai special days popping up just around the bent.

Then again I never had to worry about Non Alcoholic Days. FCOL, what difference does it make (free after Hillary).

Next two days got me again. Is it my sandbox or was I pampered to much by Thaivisa to prompt me/us in time.

Never mind, got my disaster stock as long as disasters don't last to long. 

Upon this 'burden' comes the fact that Immigration is at least closed for one third of a year if we are lucky. Man, that is the best job in Thailand. No stress, they work by ticket quota so who could get a burn out.

Nurse where is my shot!

Just now, gomangosteen said:

Don't bother coming to NZ then, alcohol sales ban on various Christian days, Easter, Xmas, plus till 1pm on Anzac Day

It is amusing, or bemusing, that the same 'experts' on this forum come up with precisely the same whinges on every alcohol sales ban day.

Seriously, very misguided if you think anyone would miss you or your meagre ever-decreasing  pension contribution to Thailand.

They might miss the non return tourists who vote with their feet and go elsewhere next time. I would hate to come to Thailand on holiday to confront a 48 hr alcohol sale ban. 

2 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

I need a little sweet calendar girl to get hold of all the happenings in Thailand. Lol, yes I know the holidays in my country by heart of course, but cannot get used to the Thai special days popping up just around the bent.

Then again I never had to worry about Non Alcoholic Days. FCOL, what difference does it make (free after Hillary).

Next two days got me again. Is it my sandbox or was I pampered to much by Thaivisa to prompt me/us in time.

Never mind, got my disaster stock as long as disasters don't last to long. 

Upon this 'burden' comes the fact that Immigration is at least closed for one third of a year if we are lucky. Man, that is the best job in Thailand. No stress, they work by ticket quota so who could get a burn out.

Nurse where is my shot!

There is a pinned topic at the top of this forum with days/dates all marked for you AND there is a free to download calenders available too ! ????

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

There is a pinned topic at the top of this forum with days/dates all marked for you AND there is a free to download calenders available too ! ????

Is it true Charlie, that next year's calendar will have semi- clad mods for each month?

:cheesy:

4 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Possibly the only country in the world that bans alcohol sales.

And its headline news...

Houston we have a problem....

There are many countries that ban alcohol sales. Especially in the Middle East

10 hours ago, wgdanson said:

If they are such devout Buddhists, they should not be drinking in the first place, so nothing to give up.

And the ban is on selling and distribution of alcohol.........not consuming it. Get stocked up.

Always well stocked up, so no worries here ????

1 hour ago, gomangosteen said:

Don't bother coming to NZ then, alcohol sales ban on various Christian days, Easter, Xmas, plus till 1pm on Anzac Day

I had no idea New Zealand took such a backward approach to these things. That's a bit weird considering it's a country where everyone is welcome to set up a still and produce as much tax-tree moonshine as they wish. 

As for any comments chastising people for complaining about this policy and assuming that the problem is the lack of availability to buy a drink during the 48-hour period, it's not that. If people are dependent on booze, they're very likely going to have a stash of some sort at home, anyway. The complaints stem from people not being given the choice to abstain. It's a matter of freedom, not a matter of availability. 

1 hour ago, gomangosteen said:

Thanks for the heads up, it's my next destination, any website where I can check the dry days?

I think it's cool to have some non-pervasive, limited cultural rules based on a theoretical non-violent spiritual tradition. Hell, I didn't even mind living in Riyadh for a couple of years. One can always brew homemade vino from wild yeast!

Just glad to be away from anything-goes Western liberalism, which seeks to apply some "natural" based metric system morality to everyone. Good luck with that! How are those cultures working out?

7 hours ago, isaanistical said:

Confusion arises for non-Buddhists as to which dates are non-drinking days – they are not exactly publicised and some are not religious but political, eg “elections”). Many tourists say these arbitrary days are puzzling, and they are also frequently gobsmacked by the 2pm-5pm lockouts. I recently tried to explain the latter to someone in (Muslim-majority) Kuala Lumpur and they just laughed at the “stupidity”.

Some of the posters are correct though – nothing new about stocking up for a day or two if you do know in advance. But my local 7-11 ran out of almost all beers yesterday (Sunday)….

Who else remembers drinking beer in a cup poured from from teapots in the bad old days?

What 2-5 lockout?  That only applies to retail outlets like 7/11 and Big C., and not in all areas.  Bars certainly don't close the doors and kick their customers out. I can see why people had a hard time understanding that stupid law as it doesn't exist. 

No problem buying booze at a 7/11 in Jomtien  any time of the day up until midnight. At least at the 7/11 I use when I stay there.

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

Almost as many deaths do to opioid overdoses as alcohol related deaths in the US and a lot more people drink than use opioids. 

Wow, crazy, and due to the corruption in the health service.

3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Link, please to justify your assertions. It is scientifically proven that abstainers have a shorter longevity than drinkers.

Sorry, no link, I make my own studies based on what I experience.

As for the second sentence, my life is longer than it would have been if I hadn't quit drinking.

46 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Never had a problem in Australia. 

Good Friday trading at Foodworks in Victoria and a % goes to the Good Friday appeal charities. 

Christmas day and a few drive through bottle shops are open.

But my needs are not that desperate...

Not in Queensland 

I do understand that it’s a Buddhist 

celebration 

but I read that the government are saying why are tourists not coming to Thailand 

part of the reason this year is that the tourists areas have closed for so many weekends due to various reasons 

surly if your main income is from tourists then let the tourists drink in hotels and restaurants it makes sense 

do not keep driving them away 

I left Thailand because of 3 weekends Of bars being closed 

I went to Vietnam and Cambodia 

still have not returned not sure if I will 

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Let them drink Fanta, won't harm anyone to go without a drink for 48 hours unless your motto is "I can't drink as much as I would like to throw up"

Not the point! If Thailand wants to attract tourists, the worst way to go  about it is to enforce these draconian rules on them! "Welcome to Thailand for your 2 week holiday, but by the way, you can't have a drink for 2 days" (And possibly next weekend as well!) 

TAT don't mention that in their propaganda! 

What is needed is a National Council for Peace and Order. The peace I don't think is problem its the order bit, there isn't any, well not much anyway especially on the streets, packs of dogs and individuals who call themselves "drivers". The "Monk" days have little effect on these and never will.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

The 48 hour ban marks two Buddhist holidays - Asahna Bucha and Khao Phansa (the start of Buddhist Lent)

I'm not a  Buddhist, enforcement of other peoples fantasy ideas, will that be protecting the people/religions etc I see  plastered outside military bases, ps i dont drink either.

Archived