Bike without Road tax.

Kwasaki

Ive only ever done it on my own bikes , when i have been late renewing the tax.  If the greenbook , and your paperwork is in order , i believe its just a matter of going to a main DLT depot , and paying the tax / government insurance that is owed from the previous years. On a 250 cc bike , this is about 600 Baht per year.

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:

I think the limit is 5 years, check your local DLT office.

Yea there is a time limit after which the registration of the bike gets cancelled and you'd have to start a new registration process. 5 years would sound reasonable.

1 hour ago, saorsa said:

It is indeed 5yrs and from what I have heard, a bit of a ballache to get it re-registered.

Thanks for response to get it re-registered is what I need to know because the bike i bought is just 6 years without, the people looking after the bike obviously did't give a dam, for the sake of almost 1 year I hope a brown envelope will do the trick. ???? 

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

5 years would sound reasonable.

I'm pretty sad about it so not in my case I just hope they will re-register, it had been registered for 19 years and now just 25 year old.

In UK it was never a problem restoring a motorbike and put it back on the road. 

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

Just out of interest, did the DLT complete a transfer of ownership on a bike that was no longer registered? I would have thought they would want all taxes etc. paid before completing the transfer.

I would guess that you can't transfer ownership of a bike that is not registered. One would have to register it first. But one could register on the new owners name directly so no need to transfer it nor backpay taxes. That's all an assumption though, never tried this.

6 hours ago, alanrchase said:

Just out of interest, did the DLT complete a transfer of ownership on a bike that was no longer registered? I would have thought they would want all taxes etc. paid before completing the transfer.

Not got that far yet, just picked up bike & green book from a person the bike was left with, the name in the green book is Ohm motorcycles of Koh Samui.

Ohm is sending me his ID & address with signed transfer papers and when that comes it's to DLT for the hoops & jumps and see what's what.

The bike needs quite a number of things done and parts are needed to get it to the test centre.

I don't want to do work on the bike until the transfer is done and to see what's involved in re-registering the bike.

24 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Not got that far yet, just picked up bike & green book from a person the bike was left with, the name in the green book is Ohm motorcycles of Koh Samui.

Ohm is sending me his ID & address with signed transfer papers and when that comes it's to DLT for the hoops & jumps and see what's what.

The bike needs quite a number of things done and parts are needed to get it to the test centre.

I don't want to do work on the bike until the transfer is done and to see what's involved in re-registering the bike.

They need Ohm original I.D. or passport not copies. Are they prepared to post them to you I doubt it. I would forget the whole thing.

3 hours ago, Caine said:

They need Ohm original I.D. or passport not copies. Are they prepared to post them to you I doubt it. I would forget the whole thing.

Totally dumb down and not true I done it before without original I.D from seller, Ohm is Thai what would they want with his passport, I don't think you understand the situation we had have only ever needed photocopies and signed DLT transfer papers at our DLT before.

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

It will need to be Road worthy, to re-register and get the new number, 

Yeah for sure needs to run to get a test cert and I'm getting a few things sorted at mo.

How long it's takes no matter as long as I can get it done.

Maybe we can't do anything until the bike is running but we are going to DLT with transfer paperwork anyway and find out what they need us to do..

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Totally dumb down and not true I done it before without original I.D from seller, Ohm is Thai what would they want with his passport, I don't think you understand the situation we had have only ever needed photocopies and signed DLT transfer papers at our DLT before.

Original ID not needed, a signed copy will do.

17 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

As it's only one year past the 5 year "limit", you might get lucky. :smile:

Hope so, 1 person said 3 years and one reason for thread was what's the cost of re-register.

I know about roughly the back cost of road & ins and told it will have to be re-registered but was going to change number plate anyway so it don't matter if old number is kaput. 

Archived