Similan Islands In July?

SpaceCow

Spacecow, July is really not the right time to go to The Similans. IMO the boats that still go there (only a handful) during this time of the year are run by greedy operators. Having said that the weather conditions could be great to go then - on the other hand the weather could turn for the worst as it usually does. Ask yourself why most of the reputable Liveaboard boats do not go then? Most of these Liveaboard boats operate from Mid October to end April beginning of May. If it was really a viable option to go all year round I am quite sure that all the Liveaboard boats would continue to operate their cruises then instead of closing for the low season months.

For diving in July the daytrips off Phuket are great then. The beauty is that there are less divers than during the high season so more marine life is spotted then. Although the boat trip out could be a little rocky so not a good idea for those who get seasick.

Hope this helps you and whatever you decide - enjoy the diving!

Ermm... We aren't really divers.

We are more looking for some snorkeling + relaxing on the beautiful beach + taking photos...

And in pictures Similan Islands look just perfect place to do this :o

Or are the islands/trips for only for those who dive?

Do you think it is better/easier to get to the Similan Islands from Khao Lak than from Phuket? :D

K.L. is the shortest distance but you still have to ge there from Phuket...

I've never been able to book the boat from Patong to Similans for a day trip...

Kind of a long trip for snorkeling. If you like snorkeling why not try diving. All of the dive centers offer a program for people to enjoy diving without having to get certified. In that thought you can easily, I would assume get you class and pool training at home and be certified in as fast as two days in Phuket. Getting dive certified is real easy and much better than snorkeling. You'll be shallow enough water and be able to see the reef much more that just from a surface view. Way more that half the stuff is not in view from the surface and even better seen from the side wiew with a small underwater light!

You can find a dive center in your area by checking out www.padi.com and look for dive center info or in the yellow pages of your home phone book. Diving is great stuffSee ya underwater!

i have a girlfriend up on the similans now. she has been camping there for over 3 weeks now and is not a diver. she goes out snorkeling every morning and every afternoon. yesterday vis was 25m and she was seeing packs of 25-30 sharks on each trip.

its not just for divers. many ppl go there just for snorkeling. (and, yes, i am a diver)

i have a girlfriend up on the similans now. she has been camping there for over 3 weeks now and is not a diver. she goes out snorkeling every morning and every afternoon. yesterday vis was 25m and she was seeing packs of 25-30 sharks on each trip.

its not just for divers. many ppl go there just for snorkeling. (and, yes, i am a diver)

where abouts?

Oh, that sounds just perfect place even for snorkelers :o

Too bad if the July isn't good time to go there...

Soisong, what do you mean by "K.L. is the shortest distance but you still have to ge there from Phuket...

I've never been able to book the boat from Patong to Similans for a day trip..."?

Do you mean There are no tour operators/trip makers in Khao Lak and that's why we need to go to Phuket if we stay in K.L?

Oh, that sounds just perfect place even for snorkelers :o

Too bad if the July isn't good time to go there...

Soisong, what do you mean by "K.L. is the shortest distance but you still have to ge there from Phuket...

I've never been able to book the boat from Patong to Similans for a day trip..."?

Do you mean There are no tour operators/trip makers in Khao Lak and that's why we need to go to Phuket if we stay in K.L?

there are quite afew that offer day trips to the similans both from Khao Lak and from phuket

cost is usually about 4000 baht for two dives. long day but well worth the trip - in my opinion :D

there are quite afew that offer day trips to the similans both from Khao Lak and from phuket

cost is usually about 4000 baht for two dives. long day but well worth the trip - in my opinion :D

Do you think it is easier to get to the Similan Islands from Khao Lak then from Phuket? Or just the same?

4000baht including 2 dives... Would that be cheaper if we won't want to dive? Or is thar even an option?

So confused now :o

Do you think it is easier to get to the Similan Islands from Khao Lak then from Phuket? Or just the same?

4000baht including 2 dives... Would that be cheaper if we won't want to dive? Or is thar even an option?

So confused now :o

Spacecow - the daytrips to The Similans from Phuket will not be running in July. Also I do not know who to recommend from Khao Lak as it their low season as well and July is very quiet up there.

From Khao Lak, it is possible to go on a snorkeling tour to Similan, optionally staying overnight, till about May 10. After that, high waves make snorkeling impossible, and Similan national park will be closed till the next high season starts. There are a few diving schools in Khao Lak that operate the whole year, diving is done at places close to the islands.

Ok, thank you for clearing that one :o

So no Similan Islands, this time... Maybe next time will be in winter time :D

What do you people think about the island on the East side of Phuket (Koh Naka, Rang Yai, Coral island, Racha/Raya)? :D

Any good in July? I have read that the Racha/Raya island has very nice white sandy beach on the west side, but how about it's east side?

And what do you think about Koh Naka or Rang yai, beaches+water (murky or clear waters)?