Thailand Smoking Ban

cessnock

My husband and I both smoke and are on our way to Bangkok and Phuket in April so we are curious to know how serious this ban is in Thailand.

If you smoke in the street, bars, beach, hotels etc, Will we be fined by the tourist police? Ouch!!

Cessnock

My husband and I both smoke and are on our way to Bangkok and Phuket in April so we are curious to know how serious this ban is in Thailand.

If you smoke in the street, bars, beach, hotels etc, Will we be fined by the tourist police? Ouch!!

Cessnock

Don't worry about it. It is clearly marked where you can't smoke, mostly in airconditioned rooms/public places.

Cheers

onzestan

Cessnock

In case you were unaware Thais are incredibly sensitive when it comes to personal hygene. Therefore as you both smoke why come here with your entire body, clothes and breath reaking like dirty ashtrays as most locals may consider that disgusting.

Cessnock

In case you were unaware Thais are incredibly sensitive when it comes to personal hygene. Therefore as you both smoke why come here with your entire body, clothes and breath reaking like dirty ashtrays as most locals may consider that disgusting.

Well well well, aren't we hospitable.

Plse bear in mind that if all the smokers stay away from Thailand, that would mean 30 % less tourists.

That would be very nice indeed.

Plse bear in mind that 1 (one) motorcycle polutes more than 10 smokers. Do you want to ban them to.

Cheers

Onzestan

Cessnock

Dear Cessnock,

As stated before don't worry about it. The few very negative reactions you have received, are not at all representative for Thailand. As a rule the Thai people are very tolerant and welcoming, and a lot of them also smoke.

Just look where there are other smokers around, hotels have smoking rooms, the only places where you can't light up is in official public places, and many airconditioned restaurants. Evrything open air is no problem.

Cheers :D

Cessnock

smoking here is not a problem outside, in the street, on the beach etc, also many bars dont care, this isnt singapore so dont worry.

dont bother paying rip off prices in the uk for so called duty free and bringing them here.

buy your cigarettes here, you wont find kensitas club or regal king size, but you will find LM red for about 65 pence a packet as oppossed to rip off uks £5 a packet

smoking here is not a problem outside, in the street, on the beach etc, also many bars dont care, this isnt singapore so dont worry.

dont bother paying rip off prices in the uk for so called duty free and bringing them here.

buy your cigarettes here, you wont find kensitas club or regal king size, but you will find LM red for about 65 pence a packet as oppossed to rip off uks £5 a packet

Trust a smoker to give bum advice.

Take a read of this thread.

Cessnock

Plse bear in mind that if all the smokers stay away from Thailand, that would mean 30 % less tourists.

Plse bear in mind that 1 (one) motorcycle polutes more than 10 smokers. Do you want to ban them to.

Cheers

Onzestan

Absolutely and anybody who knowingly damages or commits to damage, the health of another person either directly or indirectly as is the case of smoking is my my opinion repulsive and irresponsible. In fact statistically, the effects of smoking has killed more people directly than all of the WMD since 1914. What a thing to try and justify ! guess you must smoke yourself ?

i count myself lucky not to have received the same standard of education as you, particularly in english comprehension.

please tell me where in my reply i said i smoke.

i was giving the op advice on not paying rip off uk prices.

yes you can pass all the laws you want, but enforcing them is another matter, i dont know anyone, farang or thai who has been fined or been in trouble regarding this law.

i take you are living in thailand just now, as i am, and not making comments from half way around the world.

Correct, take a chill pill everyone. A lot of thai people smoke but the no smoking rule is very clearly marked in the places the ban is in effect.

People still smoke in bars & on the street but beware that the police do stop you for putting your cigarette out & leave it on the street, so carry a small plastic bag & when you stub out, take the butt with you & get rid of it in the bin rather than litter on the street.

Correct, take a chill pill everyone. A lot of thai people smoke but the no smoking rule is very clearly marked in the places the ban is in effect.

People still smoke in bars & on the street but beware that the police do stop you for putting your cigarette out & leave it on the street, so carry a small plastic bag & when you stub out, take the butt with you & get rid of it in the bin rather than litter on the street.

you can smoke any where you like as long as its not airconditioned you can even smoke in the airport they have smoking rooms every where :o and yes i am a smoker :D

Actually, Thailand has a state of emergency declared concerning excessive smoke in the air, so why don' t you stay home and pollute your own country instead :D

Hi jbowman

I take it your not a smoker and a bit of a smart ass!!!!!

Thanks for the advice

Cessnock :o

Cessnock

Edited by cessnock

Cessnock

Cheers

Onzestan

Thanks Onzestan.

Cessnock :D

I think that the OP was wanting to know where they could smoke - not members opinions of smoking!!

Well said Dan Sai Kid, thanks. I didnt think I would get so much negativity from some smart ass forum members when I left this message. Does all these negative members live such a clean living life? Do no wrong? I would love to be perfect.....lol.

Nearly got into trouble yesterday on a bus, when I visited the tiolet and found the window wide open.. so I had a quick puff.

To a non smoker it must be really easy to notice, so this passenger tried to report me and threatened me with the police. I laughed it off, but I surely made a quick exit once our destination was upon us.

Don't mess with rules.

It's true what you say about personal hygene, on a whole I've noticed Thai's take good care of their personal

appearance no matter what class they may be considered to be but I wouldn't think the majority of Thai's would agree with a analy retentive fella like you though?

Edited by Lemmy

Nearly got into trouble yesterday on a bus, when I visited the tiolet and found the window wide open.. so I had a quick puff.

To a non smoker it must be really easy to notice, so this passenger tried to report me and threatened me with the police. I laughed it off, but I surely made a quick exit once our destination was upon us.

Don't mess with rules.

:o I did that once when I had to take a non-aircon milkrun bus. Sat in the very back and smoked with my hand and exhalations out side the window. But at one stop, the driver came back and mumbled something and looked on the floor (for butts?).

Don't worry, Cessnock, there are many smokers in Thailand. Just smoke outside and you'll be fine. I never sat near nonindulgers, but if they sat near me and started to complain, I politely told them "I was here first." And nothing reeks of smoke if you are outside or in an outdoor venue. BKK traffic pollution is way worse. Have a lovely vacation!

Don't mess with rules.

:D I did that once when I had to take a non-aircon milkrun bus. Sat in the very back and smoked with my hand and exhalations out side the window. But at one stop, the driver came back and mumbled something and looked on the floor (for butts?).

Don't worry, Cessnock, there are many smokers in Thailand. Just smoke outside and you'll be fine. I never sat near nonindulgers, but if they sat near me and started to complain, I politely told them "I was here first." And nothing reeks of smoke if you are outside or in an outdoor venue. BKK traffic pollution is way worse. Have a lovely vacation!

Thanks Jetgorgon

i count myself lucky not to have received the same standard of education as you, particularly in english comprehension.

yes you can pass all the laws you want, but enforcing them is another matter, i dont know anyone, farang or thai who has been fined or been in trouble regarding this law.

i take you are living in thailand just now, as i am, and not making comments from half way around the world.

Calm yourself down, you need a quiet cigarette to relax your nerves.

The "bum advice" that I was referring to in your post, is the first line: smoking here is not a problem outside, in the street, on the beach etc, also many bars dont care,

If you read the link provided in my post you will, or maybe you won't, realise that you can't smoke in all outside places.

I'm not a smoker but have spoken to many smokers who have tried the local Thai cigarette. Most state that they would rather have paid the extra money and brought in duty free cigs from home. Perhaps you have cheap taste. :o

I can't say that the Thai authorities have issued fines for smoking in outdoor locations, but I can state that many smokers have been fined for throwing their butts onto the ground.

You then write this: you can pass all the laws you want, but enforcing them is another matter....

This is typical of many travelling arrogant, self centred farangs who snub their noses at the laws of the country they are visiting....and probably the laws of their own country as well. ...butt (pun intended) what do you care !!!! :D

Cessnock

I wish you could have smelled the driver in the taxi I was in last night, he reeked of garlic and body odor. Then you could tell me more about Thais and personal hygiene.

I think a key point is: don't throw your butts on the street, beach, etc. Put out the fag in a private butler (small plastic bag or even the cello off the cig box) and then put in a trash bin. I never threw my fag ends away in public places.

Just laugh when you see all the other crap tossed on the streets and beaches, Cessnock -- the ubiquitous plastic bag, bottles, used diapers and condoms.

Calm yourself down, you need a quiet cigarette to relax your nerves.

i am perfectly calm, in fact i am almost serene, i neither need nor crave a cigarette, there is nothing wrong with my nerves.

The "bum advice" that I was referring to in your post, is the first line: smoking here is not a problem outside, in the street, on the beach etc, also many bars dont care,

this, bum advice, is based on observation, and from comments made by both thai and farang smokers

If you read the link provided in my post you will, or maybe you won't, realise that you can't smoke in all outside places.

this doesnt bother me, i dont smoke.

I'm not a smoker but have spoken to many smokers who have tried the local Thai cigarette. Most state that they would rather have paid the extra money and brought in duty free cigs from home. Perhaps you have cheap taste. :o

i concur, many smokers tell me the same. i can assure you, i have impeccable tastes.

I can't say that the Thai authorities have issued fines for smoking in outdoor locations, but I can state that many smokers have been fined for throwing their butts onto the ground.

i am glad to hear about smokers being fined for throwing their butts away, hopefully the fines will be increased as well. i also hope it will be applied to all rubbish

You then write this: you can pass all the laws you want, but enforcing them is another matter....

This is typical of many travelling arrogant, self centred farangs who snub their noses at the laws of the country they are visiting....and probably the laws of their own country as well. ...butt (pun intended) what do you care !!!! :D

again, i agree with you, do i care? this isnt my country, i am only a guest, for as long as the thais are willing to accomodate me.

what i care about, is the many travelling, arrogant, self centred farangs, who visit this or any other country, and complain about it.

no one forces these people to come here, or to return.

i take this country, warts and all, in fact the longer i stay here, i find i shed more and more of my western baggage. and start adopting the local mentality, of live and let live.

if it ever gets to the point where something i have no control over, bothers me so much, i will leave.

it amazes me , the number of smoking and non smoking farangs, who live here, who have a cancer eating away inside them, and tearing them up, these people have problems in their own country, and bring those problems with them.

what is it that upsets you more, smokers, or the laid back attitude of the thai authorities?

if it is the former, you will have problems no matter what country you are in.

if it is the latter, well dont bother coming back, unless you can learn to live with it

good luck, i hope you find some sort of inner peace