Thailand 17th choice to live in for U.S. social security retirees

Lodestone

O, Canada.

Though many retirees dream of warm beaches in far-flung locales, the reality is often much colder.

It’s humble Canada that takes the No. 1 spot on the list of the foreign countries where the most retired workers are collecting Social Security checks. That’s followed by Japan, Mexico, Germany and the U.K., according to government data.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-no-1-country-retirees-move-to-when-they-ditch-america-2019-07-26

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprising actually.

Because when one considers total quality of life the cleaner air etc of many of the front runners is obvious

Plus with Canada US expats on medicare are just a drive away from a US hospital

What was surprising was seeing the Philippines has 4 times as many US expats as Thailand.

Between those two I would have thought Thailand was ahead

1 hour ago, mania said:

What was surprising was seeing the Philippines has 4 times as many US expats as Thailand.

Not surprising really, when you consider that 6 of the top 10 have heavy military presence, and many retirees, contractors, and civilians marry locals and retire there. Philippines obviously used to be a major Asia-Pac military center so that probably explains that.

Thailand is surprisingly low - on the same level as Switzerland, Dominican Republic and Sweden.  Just too far away without any compelling ties.

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess the most important point for them is to get out of the USA. Where to? It doesn't really matter, just out.

Nah actually the USA for US citizens still beats all comers if you have planned ahead & are mortgage free by the time you reach 62-ish

No other country affords you the rights you get as a citizen

As for political........it only matters to those who spend their time following the circus regardless of left wing right wing leanings.

For myself & those I know..........Does not make a lick of difference

Let the poor whackos who make a hobby out of yelling at the other side have it all.

9 minutes ago, mania said:

Nah actually the USA for US citizens still beats all comers if you have planned ahead & are mortgage free by the time you reach 62-ish

No other country affords you the rights you get as a citizen

As for political........it only matters to those who spend their time following the circus regardless of left wing right wing leanings.

For myself & those I know..........Does not make a lick of difference

Let the poor whackos who make a hobby out of yelling at the other side have it all.

If you could speak the lingo Oz is the place to be, but you would need to leave your guns behind!

6 hours ago, Olmate said:

If you could speak the lingo Oz is the place to be, but you would need to leave your guns behind!

The days of everyone speaking like Chips Rafferty or Paul Hogan are long gone.

On 7/27/2019 at 12:05 AM, mania said:

The Canadians here please correct me, but it's my understanding that once you have lived in Canada for six months you are covered under the national health plan including pre-existing conditions.  Presumably that would include landed immigrants.

Canada is a better country than the US.  All the sames benefits, plus much better health care, plus the Canadians aren't nuts.

I would have liked to move to Australia in spite of high living cost.

Problem has to do with getting a visa. Seems now if you're a geezer you need to give them big pile of cash and have large income: "investment visa". I believe they aren't issuing retirement visas anymore.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:19 PM, keemapoot said:

Not surprising really, when you consider that 6 of the top 10 have heavy military presence, and many retirees, contractors, and civilians marry locals and retire there. Philippines obviously used to be a major Asia-Pac military center so that probably explains that.

And yet Vietnam is near the foot of the list!

Seriously,  it's not really a good guide to expat numbers as it just indicates the people who get their money paid overseas. A small percentage of the overall retirees.

Thailand would be the country near the top of the list for places where it is (has been) better to keep your money in a home bank.

I would have liked to move to Australia in spite of high living cost.
Problem has to do with getting a visa. Seems now if you're a geezer you need to give them big pile of cash and have large income: "investment visa". I believe they aren't issuing retirement visas anymore.
Yes the financial requirements are very high.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 7/27/2019 at 9:49 AM, keemapoot said:

Thailand is surprisingly low - on the same level as Switzerland, Dominican Republic and Sweden.  Just too far away without any compelling ties.

I think the pi has a va hospital there also 

14 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

I think the pi has a va hospital there also 

The thing to remember is that many US expats resident in all the countries of Asia are former or retired US military & DoD civilians who were stationed in PI, Japan, Korea, Guam, even Australia & Singapore. So, the knock-on effect is probably significant.

On 7/28/2019 at 6:51 AM, Olmate said:

Waaaay too expensive and run by too many left wing whackos.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes the financial requirements are very high.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I am surprised they don't want retirees, mainly because there is only 30 million people living there and the country is the size of the continental USA which has 320 million people.....though a lot of Oz is uninhabitable. And getting all the foreign currency should be a boon. I'm sure Aussies on here can enlighten us.

21 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I am surprised they don't want retirees, mainly because there is only 30 million people living there and the country is the size of the continental USA which has 320 million people.....though a lot of Oz is uninhabitable. And getting all the foreign currency should be a boon. I'm sure Aussies on here can enlighten us.

Currently population is around 25 million - this figure although small by world standards is stretching infrastructure in Australia, particularly along the east coast which tends to be the destination of choice. I think people of means/self sufficient should be made welcome ( 'lifters not leaners ' as we have more than we need! ).

I think Thailand with the concept of control has the right idea but the method and application is highly flawed.

Historically, more people immigrate to, than emigrate from, Australia. At 30 June 2016, 28.5% of the estimated resident population (ERP) was born overseas (6.9 million persons). This was an increase from 30 June 2015, when 28.2% of thepopulation was born overseas (6.7 million persons).Oct 23, 2018 

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

Not sure how foreign currency is needed from retirees, when you see how much Aus Gov gives to the refugees! While pensioners in the main are in poverty.....screen shot.

9DB4A800-BEAB-4F7E-BA25-347BC437ACF2.png

"I heard you retired to Thailand. It's so hot and humid, with disease carrying insects, dangerous roads and corrupt police. What do you do there?"

"Well, ah, you see, I, ah, its like, photography and other things."   

This is quite meaningless, as the article itself explains - many social security recipients continue to get their payments deposited into their U.S. bank accounts, and in that case, they won't make this list.

In Thailand in particular, direct deposits to Thai bank accounts only became an option recently.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:05 AM, mania said:

Not surprising actually.

Because when one considers total quality of life the cleaner air etc of many of the front runners is obvious

It says where they are collecting Social Security Checks. Not where they are living. The Social Security office is in Manila. Making it easier to arrange having one's Social Security payments sent to direct deposit in the bank.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:05 AM, mania said:

Not surprising actually.

As the article said this is far from a perfect estimate of how many people are retired abroad in each country: Some Americans may be retired abroad and not collecting Social Security; others may have their Social Security checks deposited in the U.S. but live abroad. And in the Phillippines you could live on Social Security, they have a Social Security Office in Phill and you could get direct deposit of SS to Phill bank. (can do now  for Thailand)

Archived