Used car price

On 7/27/2019 at 2:25 PM, geoffbezoz said:

Don't get too hung up on published data about used car values in Thailand. At the end of the day your vehicles only true value is for what ever you can sell it for that is acceptable to yourself.

Bang on!...I have been trying to sell my Honda for a few weeks now, 4 new tyres and rims, LPG, Dash cams front and rear. Taxed and gov. Ins. up to August next year. Reliable driver....asking 60,000 Bt. No buyers so far.

I remember many years ago being tutered in the fine art of "secondhand car selling" by an old hand at it. "Sonny"...he said to me..."The cheaper the price...the more questions they ask".

By gum, how right he was...some people expect a "Roller"...for pittance?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

If you look on Taladrod you will see that a main selling point, usually in capital letters is "NO LPG FITTED". I personally would never buy a car that had gas fitted.

Yes, there might be a bit more wear out of the valves, but that's about it. In Thailand it's quite cheap to overhaul an engine and much cheaper if only replace the valves.

I drive a Fortuner on LPG. Zero problems and saves a lot in gasoline. Even if I need to completely overhaul the engine it will still be far more economical than gasoline. 

Most people who are against LPG don't know anything about it.

BTW, LPG is also used as a SELLING POINT on one2car, depending on the type of car. 

If your vehicle isn't ancient, contact an insurance company and tell them you're considering purchasing a 1st class policy.  Then ask them what they would pay in the event that your car is totaled.  That will be the low-ball (very low-ball) figure.

• Like 2

Tanachart bank has online car values. Sites like one2car has car values, taladrod also has it.

i find the most accurate one is getting insurance quotes from companies like AXA, there they automatically put car value and it’s usually roughly about right 

1 hour ago, oobar said:

If your vehicle isn't ancient, contact an insurance company and tell them you're considering purchasing a 1st class policy.  Then ask them what they would pay in the event that your car is totaled.  That will be the low-ball (very low-ball) figure.

To Dotpoom: what model and year Honda are you selling? 

Even my wives Vios from 2004 sold easy for 150k and that car also used to run on LPG.

For 60k I expect something barely drivable (in Thailand)!

Edited by Cheops
Changed content

6 minutes ago, Cheops said:

To Dotpoom: what model and year Honda are you selling? 

Even my wives Vios from 2004 sold easy for 150k and that car also used to run on LPG.

For 60k I expect something barely drivable (in Thailand)!

How long ago has it been since you sold your 2004 vios for 150k quickly? friends of mine who've been trying to sell their cars in the past 2-3 months speak of a hopeless situation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Bang on!...I have been trying to sell my Honda for a few weeks now, 4 new tyres and rims, LPG, Dash cams front and rear. Taxed and gov. Ins. up to August next year. Reliable driver....asking 60,000 Bt. No buyers so far.

I remember many years ago being tutered in the fine art of "secondhand car selling" by an old hand at it. "Sonny"...he said to me..."The cheaper the price...the more questions they ask".

By gum, how right he was...some people expect a "Roller"...for pittance?

60,00 baht.what year?

Compare prices for the vehicle based on brand, year and odometer on websites such as taladrod, one2car, bahtsold and ThaiVisa. Toyotas and Hondas are easy to compare. A brand such as Peugeot more difficult.

Or take it to a used car lot and ask them to sell it for you. They will give a realistic price.

5 hours ago, jessebkk1 said:

How long ago has it been since you sold your 2004 vios for 150k quickly? friends of mine who've been trying to sell their cars in the past 2-3 months speak of a hopeless situation.

Couple of months ago. We live in Bangkok, not sure if that's easier or not. It also depends a lot what car. Vios are wanted by many because of cheap spare parts are available and Toyota's are reliable. 

11 hours ago, Cheops said:

Couple of months ago. We live in Bangkok, not sure if that's easier or not. It also depends a lot what car. Vios are wanted by many because of cheap spare parts are available and Toyota's are reliable. 

Yep, that what I thought, from all I've heard it's been pretty grim since may, even for bangkok. Anyone who wanted a car, this would be a great time to buy one. Too many desperate sellers.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jessebkk1 said:

Yep, that what I thought, from all I've heard it's been pretty grim since may, even for bangkok. Anyone who wanted a car, this would be a great time to buy one. Too many desperate sellers.

There is an oversupply in the market due to the first car buyer scheme....but dealers seem reluctant to drop their prices. Perhaps a good deal could be had buying privately. I sold my car privately for much more than what a dealer would have given me - 14 y.o honda but I kept it very well - and no previous Thai owners to neglect it.