Extending my O_A visa

My current O~A visa will expire January 2020. I know I can leave Thailand before the expiration and get 12 more months automatically. Correct?

I think if I want to leave Thailand and return past January 2020 I need a multi entry permit? Do I need to show more Financials, insurance, etc for this permit? Thanks.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

I know I can leave Thailand before the expiration and get 12 more months automatically. Correct?

Yes.

2 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

I think if I want to leave Thailand and return past January 2020 I need a multi entry permit? Do I need to show more Financials, insurance, etc for this permit?

No financials required.

You can buy single entry permits every time you leave (1,000 baht each), or buy one multiple entry to cover the whole year (3,800 baht).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you leave and reenter before the end date of the visa you will get permission to stay for 12 months beyond the reentry date. Within that 1 year permission of stay you can leave and renter with a reentry permit but will get permission to stay only up to the existing date.

If you are thinking you may want to stay in Thailand beyond that time you have 2 options:

- extension of stay done at a Thai imm office - for this you will need to meet the financial requirements of 800K in a Thai bank (for at least 2 months prior to the extension and limitations on spending it thereafter) or proof of 65K a month coming in from abroad for the past year.

-get a new O-A visa in your home country. Requirements will be the same as before expect that it is expected there will also be a health insurance requirement details of which are not yet known but may be problematic (e.g. may require both outpt and inpt cover)

• Like 1

Any trips out of the country where you re-enter prior to the expiry date shown on the visa still qualify as multiple entries under the visa, and don't require a permit. Trips where you return beyond the expiry date will need one, to keep the 12 month permission to stay valid. 

Whether you choose single or multiple re-entry permit depends on how many trips you expect to make, I only made two last time I did this and got single r/e permits at the airport desk. 

• Like 1