TM30 Petition

Worth a try... But I doubt it'll have any impact whatsoever. The TM30 flaws are obvious - we all know everything about it is utterly ridiculous -  and if there was any motivation to change it, they probably wouldn't have recently started strictly enforcing it in the first place. 

Also, I'm not sure how it reads in Thai, but I wasn't overly confident with the English plea - the grammar, wording and specifics mentioned. We might call ourselves expats, but actually, we're immigrants - and the group of immigrants who call themselves expats are tiny in comparison to the millions of tourists who visit each year and stay in hotels (where the TM30 annoyance should be deferred to the hotel).

But all that said, I'd really love to be proved wrong.

Edited by ettcuk
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, elviajero said:

There is so much that needs reforming. TM.30 reporting is hardly top of the list.

Agreed. Thai immigration procedures are currently based on an Immigration Act that's now 40 years old. How many of our home countries still work on the basis of such ancient primary legislation?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, elviajero said:

There is so much that needs reforming. TM.30 reporting is hardly top of the list.

And the petitioner should know that Section 37. 3&4 (staying in another province - TM.28) are not enforced for visitors given permission to stay under section 34, which is every tourist and expat.

It is if you then go to immigration for an extension, which all expats and many tourists do.

Travel to another province tomorrow, dont report, then go visit immigration for an extension and see if its not enforced.

Every tourist is by default a new arrival to a province .

Edited by Peterw42

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

It is if you then go to immigration for an extension, which all expats and many tourists do.

Travel to another province tomorrow, dont report, then go visit immigration for an extension and see if its not enforced.

It’s not.

You're confusing TM.30 with TM.28 reporting. It is TM.30 reports they are enforcing for extensions.

TM.28 reports are only required if you change your permanent address.

The biggest problem is that people don’t know or understand the laws/rules they’re complaining about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

It’s not.

You're confusing TM.30 with TM.28 reporting. It is TM.30 reports they are enforcing for extensions.

TM.28 reports are only required if you change your permanent address.

The biggest problem is that people don’t know or understand the laws/rules they’re complaining about.

The petition doesn't make any mention of TM28. Why even mention that TM28 is not enforced, its irrelevant to a petition about TM30 enforcement.

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The petition doesn't make any mention of TM28. Why even mention that TM28 is not enforced, its irrelevant to a petition about TM30 enforcement.

Probably because in the description they write

Under Article 37, any foreigner residing in Thailand who visits another province for more than 24 hours must report to immigration.

Article 37 = TM28

Edited by jackdd

"A representative group of expats from across Thailand wishes to respectfully petition the Thai government on the question of immigration law and enforcement practices. //"

Which representative group of expats ?? :ermm:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

"A representative group of expats from across Thailand wishes to respectfully petition the Thai government on the question of immigration law and enforcement practices. //"

Which representative group of expats ?? :ermm:

The people who sign the petition are the representative group

1st paragraph of the petition.

We are a representative group of foreign and Thai people living in Thailand with Thai spouses or partners and Thai children. We work here, contribute to the community and the economy of the country.

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

It’ll prolly just rile the immigration department to the point of them enforcing it even more.... you know how belligerent they can be.

Agree. That would be my predicted response for any Thai when publically challenged and made to lose face.

Much better to petition your own government for diplomatic approach to Thai government. Not that would do much good.

2 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

I'd petition for the full and effective, automation of all processes concerning Non Resident visas and their subsequent extensions.

Yes, by all means. Go ahaead and do that then.

I will not sign. Just puts negative remarks on my immigration history. This petition will just make them angry.

Honestly, let me get this straight. You are a guest in this country, you are a temporary tourist or a retirement / married guest (whatever visa, does not matter) and you want to "demand" something?

Edited by cerox