Assuming EU will not budge, Britain ramps up preparations for no-deal Brexit

webfact

5 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The reasons for the movement from 70 to 50 are well know and Thailand has corrected itself from the 1997 crisis.

The reasons movement from 50 to 42 are well know as the Brexit factor. 42 to 38 is down to Thai Baht strength as evidenced with falls in the USD, AUD, EUR etc.

The fall to 42 was deemed by those well known financial commentators to be due to the uncertainty surrounding a hard Brexit. Therefore, a No Deal Brexit should already be factored.

All the above is a load of b0llocks, as we all know that that uncertainty created only gives the platform for speculators to make money out of currency volatility..... they make bugger all in a stable environment.

The fact remains that the average GBP/EUR exchange rate over the last 40 years has been 50.17 and there is no economic reason why that rate will not be reached again. For most expats who have been here any length of time a rate of GBP/THB 50 is the benchmark. I have said previously that my initial Thailand budget was based on 65.

Goodluck with the average exchange rate over 40years when you next make a transaction from £to Bht

You really don't want to deal with the logic that a fall in the £/Bht exchange rate increases financial hardship for expats reliant upon income in Sterling. 

The UK shedding market access is an economic consideration you, once again fail to take into account. 

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Goodluck with the average exchange rate over 40years when you next make a transaction from £to Bht

You really don't want to deal with the logic that a fall in the £/Bht exchange rate increases financial hardship for expats reliant upon income in Sterling. 

The UK shedding market access is an economic consideration you, once again fail to take into account. 

That consideration has already been factored in.

The current rate, as far as I am concerned, simply gives me the opportunity to spend more time in the UK, Europe and elsewhere. It means I am spending less time/capital in Thailand but I am fortunate in being able to turn that into a positive.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

if other EU members were given an in out referendum, more would leave.

Possibly, but therefore there will have to be tangible proves for the voting citizens that their daily life will improve.

As being in or out the European Union is of no importance for the common people.

Only a pure materialistic change will have an impact on them.

I think a big difference with the U.K., where being only "English" and not part anymore of an union, is already considered as an  achievement.

I suppose being once an empire has some influence in this  matter.

France has something similar, they consider themselves and the French language/culture as something exceptional, as it was the case a long time ago.

Edited by luckyluke

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

GB is leaving. Why should the EU care about any deal at all.

Maybe you missed it but the UK is still on the map near the EU. They will have to work together and trade together and people will cross borders. All this has to be regulated somehow. And for many details it is in the best interests of both sides to work friendly together.

Now there are many regulations as part of the EU. If the UK leaves without a deal all these regulations are gone and replaces with nothing. Does that make any sense?

But then, all of this was discussed in the last couple of years and if someone still does not see a reason why the EU should care then there might be other reasons. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

A 64 Billion pound trade surplus in 2018. That's a pretty good reason to want to continue trading as smoothly as possible.

And continue to trade on their own terms. Why would they care what UK wants.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

So, come with your text of a "divorse" treaty then… 

Please tell me, "the decision what our country voted for ". A No deal Brexit, or a Norway/Swiss agreement, a Canada Agreement or ? Which form of "leave"? 

Leave a club = leave a club. No longer use the facilities ( RASFF, EFSA, EMA, SANTE, ENVI, EPSCO and a LOT of other mutual things), outside = no longer import duty free access.

Leave the club in a fight, even do NOT pay your contribution for the period you agreed for spendings to a lot of things ( no deal)… then.. do NOT be surprised when all "deals / agreements etc" from the past are no longer valid. Like.. UK driver licence, Insurance papers, FSA documents etc.. as.. no way to ho to the EU court.

I am going to have to sleep on that one puipuitom, hopefully I'll get devine intervention during my slumbers.

7 hours ago, vogie said:

Many people would argue that honouring what the country voted for is not extreme, I'm sure Boris would love to leave with a deal that is suitable to everyone, but the EU keeps on insisting that the only deal available is Mrs Mays deal and that deal was a dead duck then and now is still a dead duck.

A 'No Deal' has been forced on the UK by remainers who don't believe in democracy and the EU who are totally instransigent to the delemma, I wonder how many Labour MPs and some Tory MPs had wished they had voted for Mays deal now, well it looks like that ship has sailed. You make your bed you lie in it.

"EU keeps on insisting that the only deal available is Mrs Mays deal  " NO, the only deal - after nearly 2 1/2 years negotiations, and be sure NOT ONLY with May, but with a LOT of her advisers - BOTH could live with , it seemed then.

Till now the EU did not see any proposal from the UK, as only: no, no, no, no, no.

One of the hardest things: an open border between N and S Ireland as agreed by the British in the Good Friday Agreement, just 20 years ago. The EU is a Union of nations, in which each member state has a veto right. Eire will veto a hard border...

The English do not give a damn about the situation in their European colonies: Scotland, N.Ireland and Gibraltar ( 96 % remain). A good statesman(woman) SHOULD try the utmost to satisfy more-or-less the interests of as many as possible citizens but in the UK it is: My party was the biggest in a constituency, so we get the seat and the others nothing. 50% + 1 constituency = dictatorship over the country.

Remind: 48,11% voted for ONE option: Remain, 51,88% voted for a range of possible "Leaves."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

"EU keeps on insisting that the only deal available is Mrs Mays deal  " NO, the only deal - after nearly 2 1/2 years negotiations, and be sure NOT ONLY with May, but with a LOT of her advisers - BOTH could live with , it seemed then.

Till now the EU did not see any proposal from the UK, as only: no, no, no, no, no.

One of the hardest things: an open border between N and S Ireland as agreed by the British in the Good Friday Agreement, just 20 years ago. The EU is a Union of nations, in which each member state has a veto right. Eire will veto a hard border...

The English do not give a damn about the situation in their European colonies: Scotland, N.Ireland and Gibraltar ( 96 % remain). A good statesman(woman) SHOULD try the utmost to satisfy more-or-less the interests of as many as possible citizens but in the UK it is: My party was the biggest in a constituency, so we get the seat and the others nothing. 50% + 1 constituency = dictatorship over the country.

Remind: 48,11% voted for ONE option: Remain, 51,88% voted for a range of possible "Leaves."

Is this a rant-o-thon?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

the people of the UK have never really embraced the EU and it never will.

Exactly as Charles de Gaulle in 1963 had as reason to block the UK from entering the EEC

• Like 2