Processing time for O-A Visa in US

I currently hold an extension of stay for retirement and will apply for the O-A Visa in Washington, DC while back in the States in December. Can anyone tell me how long it normally takes to process the visa after submitting the application and required documentation? I plan on submitting my application by mail, but is it faster to apply in person? 

Thanks in advance for any responses,

Chris

It is usually a 3 day affair at the Embassy in DC. They will normally process it in three business days. One to open and check all paper work, second day visa typed and placed in passport, third CONGEN for signature and then placed in Express mail, so even with one day express mail service (required) the whole thing can take five days round trip, but like most things YMMV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I applied to DC late June,   two weeks later got a phone call requesting I provide documents proving more assets.    (Possibly the change in USD to Baht?)

Sent that in right away.    No word.   I emailed them requesting status of my application.   Still waiting.

I am taking care of things I needed to do in the meantime, but need to get my butt in gear and out of the US pretty soon.    I'm about a 9 hour drive to DC each way and considered driving up there.

If you call the phone number listed on the consulate site you get a recording,in not so understandable english.

• Thanks 1

I got my Non Imm OA almost 3 years ago from the LA Consulate.  I plan on getting another in early in 2020.  The Thai Embassy and Consulates made a small change in what type of Criminal Background Checks  are now acceptable.  In the past a  criminal background check letter from a local police/sheriff department was acceptable in LA.  This type of check was conducted based upon a name and date of birth.  Now the requirement clearly states the following:

7.  Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification have to valid for not more than three months and must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only. Online criminal record without authorizer’s signature is unacceptable 

To comply with the above a fingerprint check(digital for state) and manual fingerprint cards for the FBI must now be completed.  This can take some time(especially the FBI’s manual fingerprint card check-will the FBI finally get into  the 21st Century?)  I am planning to stay for at least one month in the US for this.  Hopefully this part will take no more than 2 weeks???  I would advise those who are planning to apply for the OA to allow enough time to complete this step.  Last time the LA Consulate took one day for walk in service when I submitted my packet. 

• Sad 1

You can do the FBI fingerprint scan/check almost instantly, at the correct provider.     I did mine in an adjacent city, and had the FBI letter available for download within a few minutes.      This appears to be OK with the DC consulate, not sure about the other ones?    $50 charge.  fieldprint.com

• Thanks 1