Background Check - USA - Retirement Visa -

I did that, and don't remember a thing about the background check at the North Hollywood consulate or whatever. the only thing I remember is some farlang guy telling me over and over that it is Who You Know.... not what you know in Thailand. and to not waste my time learning the upper diglossia. that guy, and his advice which was quite apropro, is the only thing I remember about that. 

• Sad 1

It needs to be criminal record check issued by your home state or the FBI.

"7. Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification have to valid for not more than three months and must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only). Online criminal record without authorizer’s signature is unacceptable"

Source: https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa/visa-type/non-immigration-category-o-a/

Most states have a online application process for checks done by them.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

"7. Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification have to valid for not more than three months and must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only). Online criminal record without authorizer’s signature is unacceptable"

Source: https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa/visa-type/non-immigration-category-o-a/

I did mine at the local police station, $5.00 dollars, Didn't Paul MN

How seriously do they hold you to a clean record without any offense? At retirement your typically in you late 50's to say 70's . That's a long life to have to keep a completely clean record. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks, but aside from going online, having finger prints done, mailing forms into the state of ca...…..Is their no way to walk into a CHP office and request a background check.

I'm in Thailand now and was hoping for a quick retirement visa in LA. I got no problem sending over the 800,000 but it wouldn't be seasoned. Going to an agent here is looking like a decent deal. Figure in  the med cert, the visa fee and now the background check, A room for overnight in Hollywood. Damn it.

I first Googled criminal background checks. You should do that. I went to a UPS office. They take your finger prints and submit them to a service that I think is called Livescan. I received a criminal background check report about a week later. It is a State of CA Department of Justice report. The LA Consulate accepted this report.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Martyp said:

I first Googled criminal background checks. You should do that. I went to a UPS office. They take your finger prints and submit them to a service that I think is called Livescan. I received a criminal background check report about a week later. It is a State of CA Department of Justice report. The LA Consulate accepted this report.

Did all that, but your true and proven method sounds outstanding.

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Thanks, but aside from going online, having finger prints done, mailing forms into the state of ca...…..Is their no way to walk into a CHP office and request a background check.

I'm in Thailand now and was hoping for a quick retirement visa in LA. I got no problem sending over the 800,000 but it wouldn't be seasoned. Going to an agent here is looking like a decent deal. Figure in  the med cert, the visa fee and now the background check, A room for overnight in Hollywood. Damn it.

By all means use an agent to help you navigate the Immigration process legally. If you don’t meet the financial requirements here in Thailand then I think getting an agent to circumvent the process is a bad idea but that is up to you.

51 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Did all that, but your true and proven method sounds outstanding.

It could be possible to start the process for California from here or apply for the FBI check.

See manual fingerprinting card here: https://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/visaimmigration

The US embassy has the FBI fingerprint cards or you can download them. Then you go to the special branch police clearance office for the fingerprinting. See: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/fingerprint-cards/

• Thanks 1

When I got my visa from the L.A. consulate, I used a background check that I got from a sheriff's office in another state. I think it cost $5-$10 and only took about five minutes. I would suggest calling the sheriff's office ahead of time that you will near to see if they provide the same service. There was no finger printing or anything else involved.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It could be possible to start the process for California from here or apply for the FBI check.

See manual fingerprinting card here: https://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/visaimmigration

The US embassy has the FBI fingerprint cards or you can download them. Then you go to the special branch police clearance office for the fingerprinting. See: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/fingerprint-cards/

All the respect to you because I know you're a wealth of knowledge but all that sounds like way too much running around. I found the same website and stopped when they talked about fingerprints, and being a Nev resident adds another layer to the whole thing since different forms are required. But thanks again.

20 minutes ago, KCM said:

When I got my visa from the L.A. consulate, I used a background check that I got from a sheriff's office in another state. I think it cost $5-$10 and only took about five minutes. I would suggest calling the sheriff's office ahead of time that you will near to see if they provide the same service. There was no finger printing or anything else involved.

How long ago was this??

Edited by EVENKEEL

2 hours ago, Martyp said:

By all means use an agent to help you navigate the Immigration process legally. If you don’t meet the financial requirements here in Thailand then I think getting an agent to circumvent the process is a bad idea but that is up to you.

Many satisfied customers would say different.

2 hours ago, Dan O said:

How seriously do they hold you to a clean record without any offense? At retirement your typically in you late 50's to say 70's . That's a long life to have to keep a completely clean record. 

Yeah, I started shoplifting in my 70's......

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

All the respect to you because I know you're a wealth of knowledge but all that sounds like way too much running around. I found the same website and stopped when they talked about fingerprints, and being a Nev resident adds another layer to the whole thing since I hadn't planned on going there. But thanks again.

When do you plan on applying for the OA visa.

You could do the FBI check while here and you would not have to be a resident in any state to do it. There is info that can be found by clicking the link for the embassy website.

10 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

All the respect to you because I know you're a wealth of knowledge but all that sounds like way too much running around. I found the same website and stopped when they talked about fingerprints, and being a Nev resident adds another layer to the whole thing since different forms are required. But thanks again.

How long ago was this??

It was last September.

OP,

are you aware that you can obtain a single entry 90 day non imm O at some immigration offices inside thailand ?  you convert/change your entry (tourist visa or visa exempt) into this 90 day non imm O, then during the last 30 days of that 90 days, you apply for a one year extension of stay based on retirement.

i was considering an O-A visa from los angeles but i didn't have the time/schedule available for what they wanted.  not to mention visits to the post office (i was not in LA), doctor's office, police station, etc.. didn't sound all that exciting.  so i went ahead and got the non imm O at CW immigration in bangkok.  there is no seasoning required as i recall.  you get the non imm O and then your funds are 'seasoned' by the time you apply for the one year extension.  all you really need for the process are a bank letter, bank book, and your passport (plus copies of bank book, passport).

contact the sheriff of the county in nevada where you live(d).  they may be able to provide a document for you.

i contacted my texas county sheriff while i was living in china.  got a signed letter from the sheriff, and a records search done by the county clerk notarized.  $5 for the search, $5 notary fee. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

contact the sheriff of the county in nevada where you live(d).  they may be able to provide a document for you.

For a OA visa at the consulate in LA they state on their website it has to be a criminal records check from a state or the FBI.

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For a OA visa at the consulate in LA they state on their website it has to be a criminal records check from a state or the FBI.

The sheriff's office should be able to provide a criminal records check from the state. That is what I used last year at the L.A. consulate.

• Like 1

Ubonjoe is correct. I  am currently in LA.  I plan on obtaining another OA in a few months.  I got my initial OA from the LA Consulate several years.  In the past a simple criminal background letter from my local Police Department was acceptable. Now a State Criminal Background Check(conducted by the California Department of Justice based upon submission of digital fingerprints) or the FBI are the only acceptable of background checks.

In Southern California there are several options to comply with the background check requirement.  One of the better options is to go to a medical clinic called Wellnessmart.  This place will complete the OA Medical examination and complete the State Criminal Background Check as well. 

The cost of the background check can range from $48f to $53 dollars.  The timeframe to get the result back can vary but most have reported 1 to 2 weeks.  Of course this is based upon the premise that one does not have a criminal background?  

I am planning on staying approximately one month in LA in order to obtain another OA. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NokNokJoke said:

fieldprint.com    Check for local provider.   They can scan your fingerprints, access the FBI database, and you will have a background check on FBI letterhead to download in a few minutes.

$50

We have a winner. Just checked. Hopefully others will see this.

I just wanted to add that if you're NOT a CA resident and go the Ca DOJ route the fingerprints have to be done on hard copy vs. livescan, which should be simple enough to have done at local police.

Fieldprint.com sounds like a winner.

• Like 1