Questions about traveling in Thailand

In about 6 months, my Thai wife and I will be moving to Thailand. I will obtain a marriage visa before leaving the USA. The wife wants to move to Sattahip but I want to travel around Thailand before settling down in on place. My wife's family lives in Khorat and we do not want to live there. I have read a lot about Hua Hin and I would live to visit Chang Mai again. With everything I have read about TM30, how restricted is travel in Thailand for foreigners?

7 minutes ago, oceanbreeze851 said:

With everything I have read about TM30, how restricted is travel in Thailand for foreigners?

If initially , you are traveling around the country like tourists it will be up to the hotels that you stay at to return the TM30 to immigration.

Once you put down roots somewhere it will either be up to your landlord ( if renting ) or yourselves if buying or building a home

to  complete the TM 30.

As for future traveling , unless something changes soon then traveling around the country requires you to do the TM30 every time you are away from home more than 24 hours. You do the TM report when you get back home.

Edited by Denim

26 minutes ago, Denim said:

As for future traveling , unless something changes soon then traveling around the country requires you to do the TM30 every time you are away from home more than 24 hours. You do the TM report when you get back home.

The rules for TM30 reporting in section 38 of the immigration act does not say anything about being away from home for 24 hours.

It only states within 24 hours of arrival at the residence being reported.

Perhaps you are confusing section 38 with section 37 reporting which is not really enforced.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The rules for TM30 reporting in section 38 of the immigration act does not say anything about being away from home for 24 hours.

It only states within 24 hours of arrival at the residence being reported.

Perhaps you are confusing section 38 with section 37 reporting which is not really enforced.

Thanks for the clarification.

37 minutes ago, oceanbreeze851 said:

In about 6 months, my Thai wife and I will be moving to Thailand. I will obtain a marriage visa before leaving the USA

Will you be getting a single or multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage?

The multiple entry non-o visa would be the best choice if you do not want to settle in at one place for a while.

What you suggest, traveling around to sample a few places before settling, is the best idea. Did the same myself. 

Most places you stay will handle your TM30, and you need not attend immigration so no problems. More important, will you drive or use public transport?

4 hours ago, oceanbreeze851 said:

With everything I have read about TM30, how restricted is travel in Thailand for foreigners?

It’s not restricted at all.

The TM.30 ‘issue’ has been completely overblown. The only time you need to ensure someone has made a TM.30 report is when/if you apply for an extension of stay.