Single Entry Tourist Visa from the UK.

Hi - I would appreciate any help or advice on getting the appropriate Visa for for some months tourist visit to Thailand. 

In the past few years I have got one year Multi Entry Tourist Visas, based on my receipt of the UK State Pension. I've stayed for 3, 4 and 5 months. Twice I've used the border crossing on the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai to get permitted extensions of a month as permitted. 

I stay in Nong Khai so that's convenient. 

Now the Multi-Entry Visa is not available from the London Embassy. 

I think the Single Entry Tourist Visa is now my best bet for a visit of several months. I will get 60 days when I apply for the visa ; I think I can then apply for a further 30 days at Nong Khai Immigration; then do two border crossings over the Friendship Bridge into Laos from Nong Khai - giving me a further 30 days each. ( I am aware of the 2 border crossings per calendar year ruling.) 

So is this feasable/correct? I would much appreciate any advice on this. 

I am also aware of the need to show a return flight ticket as part of the application. Would it be a problem to show dates on the ticket longer than the 2 months originally applied for for? ie that assumes extension applications subsequently applied for will be granted. 

Once again - thanks for any help and advice given. 

Have you been getting a multiple entry non-o visa that allows a 90 day entry for one year from the date of issue or a multiple entry tourist visa that allows 60 day entries for 6 months.

The multiple entry non-o visa is no longer available. You can still get a multiple entry tourist visa.

If you get a single entry non-o visa that will allow one 90 day entry. A single entry tourist visa allows one 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

If you want to stay longer than 90 days you could do a border crossing for a 30 day visa exempt entry that can be extended for 30 days at immigration.

I used to get the SETV by post - quite easy and straightforward.Just been on the UK Thai Embassy site and now the application needs to be done online and they now require extra financial information  - does anyone know what this means - bank statements or proof of income ?

They seem to be making it more and more difficult to get a TV ….anyone might think they don`t like us anymore ????

• Like 1

I think what you plan will be OK. However, a single entry Non O (90 days) followed, as necessary, by border bounces for visa exempt entry + extension, might be even better. Airport immigration is increasingly intolerant of people using tourist visas who do not conform with their image of a typical tourist. While, in your case, denying entry would be ridiculous, worse has been perpetrated in the last few months.

2 minutes ago, persimmon said:

I used to get the SETV by post - quite easy and straightforward.Just been on the UK Thai Embassy site and now the application needs to be done online and they now require extra financial information  - does anyone know what this means - bank statements or proof of income ?

If you are close enough to one of the Thai consulates, applying there in person (usually tourist visa while you wait if you have an appointment) may be easier.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies above. 

One question in my mind concerns the need to present a travel booking confirmation ( or copy of a return flight ticket). The initial application is for a 60 day Tourist Visa. But this will be done knowing that applications will be made in Thailand for extensions at Immigration ( including at a border crossing). 

So it would be logical to book a flight on the assumption that these applications for extensions will be granted as they are technically available. So is this likely to be a problem when applying to the London Embassy? 

Thanks for any advice. I

13 hours ago, persimmon said:

They seem to be making it more and more difficult to get a TV ….anyone might think they don`t like us anymore ????

If you think that is difficult, you should try getting a Tourist Visa for a Thai national to visit the UK.

P

• Like 1

Chash ,first find out from the consul if you need a return ticket, I’m sure  you do. To comply with the rules ( as you are  staying  more than 60/90 days) buy a one way ticket Bangkok to Phnom Penh , or Phuket Kuala Lumpur, ( the cheapest will do) leaving on the 56 th day of your stay in Thailand. Which you will not use. Nobody will check. Put 58 days on your arrival card . This will get you your visa 60 days, and also you will need it for check in at the airport when you leave for Thailand. They will check your visa and length of stay. If asked, show them your airline ticket out of Thailand after 58 days! All airlines check this these days. I do this often. Just say I’m off to Malaysia for a few weeks. Immigration in Bangkok don’t check your return ticket dates but if they do, same thing, say you’re off tô Malaysia after. 

• Like 1

Chash, don’t forget to do your Notification of Address within 24 hrs of your arrival at your immigration office Nong Khai. You will need it if you are  asking for extensions there.

Also, as said above, maybe you can get a return ticket GB / BKK which you can change the return date ? My airline charges 50€ to change dates.

Thanks geisha. The people at the apartments where I stay always complete the Notification details. 

Another requirement of the e-application is to provide a copy of accommodation / family stay details. I always get a basic email confirming my booking. There are usually a few helpful additional details such the presence of a marching band and a 4 gun salute to greet me. Not sure if that information helps the application. 

• Haha 1